bud split

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: bud split

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Unfortunately, I have some experience dealing with this sort of thing as I am an administrator on the English Language Wikipedia. There is a difference between vigorous discussion vs disruption. I tend to believe in allowing the maximum amount of latitude to debates and discussions up to the point where someone has crossed the line into overtly disruptive behavior. Some signs that one may be moving into the realm of unconstructive behavior can include any of...

* Engaging in personal attacks
* Shouting
* Excessive use of profane language
* Tendentiously repeating the same arguments over and over again w/o acknowledging the points made by others
* Generally being a drama king/queen

My rule of thumb when dealing with disruptive behavior is to start with warnings and if that doesn't work then go with a temporary block, usually 24-48 hrs to start. But I also am a big believer in the three strikes rule. If I have to block someone for the same behavior three times, that's usually it. And of course those who are obviously not here to constructively contribute to the community can and should be shown the door immediately.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:52 pm

Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm
Unfortunately, I have some experience dealing with this sort of thing as I am an administrator on the English Language Wikipedia.
How do you feel about the Deletionists over there? I find them so troubling that I have cut back on donations to wikipedia.

Anyway, +1 on Xan and mods. Keep on doing what you’re doing and thank you for all the patience and (unpaid) work.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:42 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:52 pm
Ad Orientem wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm
Unfortunately, I have some experience dealing with this sort of thing as I am an administrator on the English Language Wikipedia.
How do you feel about the Deletionists over there? I find them so troubling that I have cut back on donations to wikipedia.

Anyway, +1 on Xan and mods. Keep on doing what you’re doing and thank you for all the patience and (unpaid) work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ad_O ... ikipedians
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 pm

{facepalm} O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:10 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 pm
{facepalm} O0
8)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:10 pm

It's heartwarming to learn that this is still a place where deletionists and inclusivists can put their differences aside and befriend each other.

I'm not sure where everybody stands in the Big Endian vs Little Endian debate (either in the Swiftian sense or the computer architecture sense), but it's probably best not to ask that kind of question.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:33 pm

FREE BUD

The 1st ban should be for a week. Y'all kept taking his troll bait. And what % of us are pure 4x25?
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by boglerdude » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 pm

ochotona wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:24 pm
As the son of immigrants, I have to pipe up and point out what is the unseen Achilles tendon of American culture at this point, and why it's all going to sh**. Americans who have been here a long time don't see it, but immigrants see it, and we talk about long time Americans behind y'alls back, by the way.
Whats the fix?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:08 am

The fix is hard times. Greatest Generation hard times. A Depression, a war where sheit is blowing up in our cities. Something that forces us to hang together or hang separately.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:26 am

I don't think it was Budd's feelings so much as the endless parade of posts that were some variation on the following: "<PP asset> is down today. This asset is worthless. The PP says you should hold this asset and I do because it told me to. So I hate the PP." It just wasn't helpful, except that I read them as a cry for help & consolation. Which someone always did.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to suppose that behavior like this is limited to native born/long-descended Americans, or indeed any ethnic/racial group. In fact, there are a number of organizations with mostly immigrant or 1st generation members that could be poster children for "complainypants" behavior, to borrow a previously-coined phrase. Not even the British who are supposed to have that classic "stiff upper lip" aren't immune.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

boglerdude wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:33 pm
FREE BUD
4/20 was yesterday.
Y'all kept taking his troll bait.
He’s really not a troll. He’s just got hangups. We often cite his millions, but he intimated that perhaps no amount will put him at ease. I believe him. That’s where all the complaining was coming from.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:07 pm

boglerdude wrote:
The 1st ban should be for a week. Y'all kept taking his troll bait.
Didn’t Budd temporarily “ban” himself once or twice before by disappearing for a while after a heated argument on this forum?

I agree, though — everyone kept taking the bait. Deep down, I think a lot of people get a sense of satisfaction from arguing with trolls, even if they refuse to admit it. Similar to how audiences enjoy booing and hissing at villains on a stage.
boglerdude wrote: And what % of us are pure 4x25?
I’m one of the small handful of forum members who is pure 4x25 in my investments (and 100% cash in savings with a time horizon of less than about three years). The HBPP suits me just fine both philosophically (agnostic about the future) and practically (it provides a fair inflation-adjusted return on average). For me, it’s “good enough.”

But that’s beside the point, because as others have already pointed out, Budd wasn’t banned for his portfolio preference; he was banned for his behavior (and because he explicitly asked to be banned).
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 pm

boglerdude wrote:
FREE BUD

The 1st ban should be for a week. Y'all kept taking his troll bait. And what % of us are pure 4x25?
Why ban a long time member for just a week when you can feel better about your power by banning him permanently?
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Don wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:33 pm
boglerdude wrote:
FREE BUD

Why ban a long time member for just a week when you can feel better about your power by banning him permanently?
I am going to assume that this is humour. since bud requested the ban and managed to get one, on the "hands down" least moderated forum I have ever been on..

I will mention again that if bud wants to discuss the ban that he requested and received, he is welcome to email the admin or moderators.
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:15 pm

You can ban Budd but he's blowing all of you away with his stock heavy portfolio.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:57 pm

Budd is laughing all the way to the bank. Was his success partially why he was banned?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Don, get over it. Seriously. I honestly don't understand why you are assigning the worst possible motivations to us in all of this. Budd had been acting like a jerk for a long time, through many warnings, and finally asked to be banned. (Well, he asked for his account to be deleted, and then asked to be banned.)

I get that you don't like it. I'm sorry, I really am. I wish I could please everyone. Budd had chased off other people with his unpleasant behavior and that just isn't math that works for the forum.

So drop it. l82start and I are not on a power trip, we're not jealous of Budd, we're just trying to keep the forum a nice place.

I'm sure you can find something much more productive and interesting to discuss?