Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The GOLD scream room

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm

Some more crap I’m not going to read...
Good luck to you and remember I was once like you.
You’ll come around just like every intelligent person before you already has.
You can number crunch all you like (remember I am in analytics and do this all day) but back-testing has no predictive value whatsoever.
Also, no one I know has invested a lump sum at some starting point but rather DCA’s into their investments over an extended time period.
I would love to sell Gold but I actually have a long-term capital gain after buying IAU at 10.39 and do not want to pay 6 figures in taxes for a collectible.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:46 pm
You can number crunch all you like (remember I am in analytics and do this all day) but back-testing has no predictive value whatsoever.
Also, no one I know has invested a lump sum at some starting point but rather DCA’s into their investments over an extended time period.
I would love to sell Gold but I actually have a long-term capital gain after buying IAU at 10.39 and do not want to pay 6 figures in taxes for a collectible.
Budd, please...

You're welcome to a contrarian opinion, but you've referred to what a fellow poster wrote as crap, and then also called anybody who's investing in the PP unintelligent.

Is this your way of asking to be banned? You're very, very close.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 pm
buddtholomew wrote:
Budd, please...

You're welcome to a contrarian opinion, but you've referred to what a fellow poster wrote as crap, and then also called anybody who's investing in the PP unintelligent.

Yes
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:58 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:46 pm
Xan wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:04 pm
buddtholomew wrote:
Budd, please...

Yes
So let it be written. So let it be done.
Don

Post by Don » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Budd was banned for expressing his honest opinion. That banning is crap.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Don wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:13 pm
There's a constructive way to express opinions, Budd chooses to not be constructive.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm

Don wrote:
Nah. Budd both figuratively and literally asked to be banned. I support Xan.
Mechanical engineer, history buff, treasure manager... totally not Ben Gates
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Yeah and that's not the first time, that's the second or third time I've heard him ask to be banned. The constant anger and negativity being thrown publicly at this entire board was getting old, especially since there was no logical backing to it at all. Hopefully now he can finally get the closure he needs on the situation and move on with his life.

I'm not sure how someone can get that upset about a "six figure gain" in gold... especially during a period where gold has been in a bear market for 8 years and the worst performing asset. The PP performed for him exactly as history would have suggested it should, it provided him a respectable gain with very low volatility.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:01 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:52 pm
Yeah and that's not the first time, that's the second or third time I've heard him ask to be banned. The constant anger and negativity being thrown publicly at this entire board was getting old, especially since there was no logical backing to it at all. Hopefully now he can finally get the closure he needs on the situation and move on with his life.

I'm not sure how someone can get that upset about a "six figure gain" in gold... especially during a period where gold has been in a bear market for 8 years and the worst performing asset. The PP performed for him exactly as history would have suggested it should, it provided him a respectable gain with very low volatility.
I was going to offer to take that gold off his hands at his basis so he wouldn't have had capital gains taxes to pay.
Don

Post by Don » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Tyler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm
Don wrote:
Ban all speech that we disagree with. That's so leftist these days. And pathetic.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Don wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:54 pm
Tyler wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm
Don wrote:
Ban all speech that we disagree with. That's so leftist these days. And pathetic.
Don, this was not at all about disagreeing. I've said over and over again that he's welcome to disagree. Many people here aren't PPers, and that's fine. Technovelist for example is I guess the mirror image of Budd in terms of investing philosophy, but he doesn't run around calling everybody names and saying how stupid they are for investing the way they do.

It would be similarly unacceptable for a rabid PPer to hang around the forum telling Technovelist and Desert and Pointed Stick and whoever else that they're unintelligent for doing something different from the PP. It's not the ideas, it's the behavior.

It's really, really hard to get banned from this forum. Budd was banned primarily because he asked to be. Earlier today in this thread he asked how to delete his account. I said that some combination of a ban and deleting his posts would be what we could do. Then he asked to be banned. So... It's literally what he wanted.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

bud split

Post by technovelist » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:54 am

sophie wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 am
I agree Xan, you made the right call.

Doesn't stop me from feeling a bit sorry for Budd but then it's hard to feel sorry for a guy with $13 million in the bank. Also some of his posts were kind of fun to read, in the same way that you just can't stop watching a car accident.
I don't feel sorry for him in any way.

He is a bitter man who wants to blame others for... something, but it's not obvious what.

He has a big gain in gold, after all, so he doesn't even have a complaint on the basis of losing money by buying gold. Not that such a complaint would be justified, but at least it would be SOMETHING.