Ally bank website and other problems

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Ally bank website and other problems

Post by sophie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:16 am

Anyone having trouble logging in? I haven't been able to get onto Ally's website for days. The website is active but you get an "unable to process request" message when you try to log in. I can get in sometimes, but then the web interface freezes up within seconds. This applies to two different computers on different networks plus my phone, plus once trying to log in from my laptop in a different state.

I sent a secure message asking why my debit card is refused by Apple Pay and there's a response, which I can't read. Phone wait times are reported as 25-30 minutes.

I haven't been trying nonstop all this time (other things to do in life) so maybe I'm just supremely unlucky, but...This has been going on a long time for a bank website, and it's quite a serious situation if it continues. If they don't resolve this soon and send out an explanatory message with an abject apology, I may have to look around for a different online banking option.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ally bank website and other problems

Post by ochotona » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:36 am

No issues. Clear your browser cache. Type in Ally.com instead of whatever url you may have bookmarked. Reboot your phone
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:09 am

I can log in on a desktop, and did so yesterday, but I no longer use the app.

Previously, I was using the app on an ipad mini, and I thought it was weird that I could use my pin to log in without my password. One day, the check deposit-via-image-upload feature stopped working and I wrote to customer service. They answered that I'm not supposed to be using their app on an ipad mini. Still, they haven't changed the too-easy login and I can still get in. I should probably delete the app.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:36 am

I should probably change my password
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:09 pm

Similarly, I just used the app easily and read a message.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:55 am

After some more internet searching and digging, I found that many have reported problems with Google Chrome, solved by either turning off hardware acceleration in settings, or using an incognito window.

I was able to get in once, but when I tried again I now get a different lockout message. Sigh. Will have to call Ally this weekend to find out what's going on. Probably too many login attempts.

Still - I have never had problems like this with any other financial institution, using the same browser. Makes me really appreciate Chase and Fidelity. And Vanguard.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:13 am

Reminds me of a problem I used to have with my mortgage servicer website.

I believe deleting the sites cookies resolved it each time which would explain why incognito mode would also work bypassing cookies.

If you click on the padlock in front of the site address you should be able to see the cookies in use and also delete them.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:55 am

Ah, should have thought of that.

I can log in now, but only about 1 in 3 tries ("internal server error" the other times). Anyway that'll do. Thanks.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:09 pm

I had the problem where I could log in, but couldn't get any further than that, for the second time in a few weeks.
Waited a few hours and all was well, though. I wonder what's going on.

↳ scratch that. I can see more of my account, but still can't transfer $.

I ended up pulling from the other bank instead of pushing from Ally. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:59 am

That's the kind of hiccups I've been seeing for several months. Annoying, but in the right situation it could get pretty serious if you're relying on Ally as your primary bank.

They'd better fix these problems soon. The combination of Chase and Fidelity cash management is starting to look like a good alternative. Those websites are rock solid, and a bit of simplification would be nice too. I still have concerns about Fidelity's persistent habit of randomly locking up deposits for 1-2 weeks though. If that applied to the cash management as well as individual brokerage account, it would severely limit usability.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:40 am

Yeah, I wouldn't use Fidelity as a primary bank.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:14 am

Yup, looks like external funds transferring into Fidelity by any route (check, Ach etc) except wires would be subject to the 1-2 week "settlement" hold. From Cash Manager FAQs:

"Funds on an EFT [electronic funds transfer] can take several days to settle into your Fidelity® Cash Management Account."

And the FAQ actually hints about wiring funds to get around the hold time.

It's still potentially a very nice setup though, with the cash manager that lets you specify a sequence of money market funds to draw on, that could be in different accounts within Fidelity. So you'd replace your savings account with a money market fund, and you could use a money market fund that's part of the PP for another layer of backup. That makes the 1-2 week hold a lot more tolerable, though I still wish Fidelity would stop that bit of nastiness. No other broker does that to my knowledge.