Executive Member

Very good overview of Australia for investors

Post by Hal »

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Very good overview of Australia for investors

Post by Kriegsspiel »

3:26 "China used more concrete in 3 years than the US did in the entire 20th century."

19:16 Banks tightening lending standards and rejecting 10x as many loans as interest-only loans reset into PI; homeowners realizing they can't pay the mortgage and forced to sell. Mmmmmm.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Very good overview of Australia for investors

Post by jacksonM »

I visited Australia with my wife two years ago to celebrate my retirement. We took a 4-day drive from Sydney up (or is that down - Australia is confusing) to the Great Barrier Reef and the one impression I was left with, along with don't make that ridiculously long drive, was the ubiquitous presence of McDonald's in every small town we passed through along the way - often to the exclusion of any other restaurant. We did get sick of it one night and found a KFC that was open. Also, there was occasionally something called "Hungry Jack's" which was a good alternative but upon closer inspection we would call it "Burger King", here in America.

My brother-in-law explained to me that these companies came to Australia and offered low prices which put the local restaurants out of business and then they raised their prices. I tried suggesting that the $18/hour Australian minimum wage might have had something to do with it but he wasn't very receptive to the idea.