WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: An excellent article on TDS

Post by WiseOne »

flyingpylon wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:06 am
flyingpylon wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am

N=1 and all, but as the father of a teenage son who is starting to look at colleges, I don't think (and he and his friends don't appear to think) that the risk of false accusations outweighs the benefit of a college degree in obtaining future employment.
And we know that extremely intelligent teenagers have excellent judgment when it comes to predicting their futures. Right? ;)

Seriously, though, I can say that if I had a teenage son, I wouldn't send him to college unless it was one of the VERY few that doesn't have such a toxic environment, e.g., Hillsdale.
Most excellent judgment... just ask them! ;)

He has been made well aware that the cards may be heavily stacked against him in such circumstances and that he should act accordingly.
Wow, it looks like there may indeed be data to back up this perception:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2015/ ... lege-male/

In the article it's being attributed to all sorts of things: boys learn to read more slowly than girls, the welfare state, effects of committing crimes etc. None of which can possibly explain this, because nothing's changed over the last few decades except two things: 1) a reduction in college attendance by men, and 2) an increasingly hostile work and college environment that disproportionately affects men.

Ironic indeed that some colleges are now viewing men as an underrepresented minority and are trying to recruit them! On the other hand, part of me is rejoicing that it's now much easier for a woman to go to a competitive college and major in a competitive discipline (like engineering). I well remember when doing that was a major uphill battle not to mention socially unacceptable. Seems to me, though, that this change could have occurred without demonizing men.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

WiseOne wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:27 am
flyingpylon wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:26 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:06 am

And we know that extremely intelligent teenagers have excellent judgment when it comes to predicting their futures. Right? ;)

Seriously, though, I can say that if I had a teenage son, I wouldn't send him to college unless it was one of the VERY few that doesn't have such a toxic environment, e.g., Hillsdale.
Most excellent judgment... just ask them! ;)

He has been made well aware that the cards may be heavily stacked against him in such circumstances and that he should act accordingly.
Wow, it looks like there may indeed be data to back up this perception:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ccap/2015/ ... lege-male/

In the article it's being attributed to all sorts of things: boys learn to read more slowly than girls, the welfare state, effects of committing crimes etc. None of which can possibly explain this, because nothing's changed over the last few decades except two things: 1) a reduction in college attendance by men, and 2) an increasingly hostile work and college environment that disproportionately affects men.

Ironic indeed that some colleges are now viewing men as an underrepresented minority and are trying to recruit them! On the other hand, part of me is rejoicing that it's now much easier for a woman to go to a competitive college and major in a competitive discipline (like engineering). I well remember when doing that was a major uphill battle not to mention socially unacceptable. Seems to me, though, that this change could have occurred without demonizing men.
Well, yea, the fact that females are outpacing males in education is well established. I believe it's actually been the case since the 1970s though, not just the past few decades. The Atlantic article about Carlow University, where females outnumber males 6-1, gets it when the administrators mention that college "recruitment" needs to begin early, like kindergarten or elementary school. I think Christina Hoff Sommers' excellent book The War On Boys corroborates that sentiment.

For instance, we were just talking about reparations for slavery. Feminist organizations have explicitly said that male children should not receive assistance, even when equal assistance is offered to girls,
When American schools try to develop special programs for boys, they find groups such as NOW and the ACLU poised to oppose them. In 1989, threats of lawsuits from both organizations prevented the Detroit public schools from proceeding with plans for all-male academies for at-risk urban youths. When schools in Dade County, FL were considering establishing two all-male classes for underachieving boys, the US Dept of Education's Office of Civil Rights blocked them.
In 1994, Senator Danforth tried to address this impasse. He offered an amendment to an education bill proposing that ten school districts be permitted to experiment with same-sex classes without threat of lawsuit. The amendment passed the Senate but was rejected in conference with the House of Reps. Says Danforth, "I was stunned at the organized opposition to the amendment. Opponents argued vehemently that the provision would result in injustice to young girls, despite the amendment's requirement that same-sex classes be offered to both boys and girls."
. . .
Other women's groups, such as the National Women's Law Center, suggest that same-sex programs may be justifiable for girls, but not for boys. Deborah Brake, a senior counsel at NWLC, notes that the "considerable network" of federal, state, local, and private scholarships and programs for girls and women may be legitimate because of past inequities: "In light of the history of discrimination against women in education and the barriers that female students continue to face based on their gender, there [may be] a legitimate place for such programs."
and
As the plight of boys grows, with no relief in sight, programs for girls multiply. One recent initiative is Girl Power! In 1997, US HHS Sec Donna Shalala launched Girl Power! to raise public awareness about the needs of America's demoralized girls. The NSF spends millions each year to offer remedial programs to help girls with their science and math skills. The idea of special reading and writing classes for boys rarely surfaces. In schools, boys are the gender at risk. But no one is asking for money to cope with their academic shortfalls.
In this climate, so inhospitable to boys, American educators who wish to help boys face formidable obstacles. Prince George's County, MD, just outside DC, includes several poor, mostly black public schools. According to one school board member, many of the boys "are at the bottom in every respect, in every academic indicator, every social development indicator." To help such boys, the county organized a "Black Male Achievement Initiative." Beginning in the early 90s, approximately forty young men met two weekends a month with a group of professional men for tutoring and mentoring. The program was popular and effective. But in 1996, it was radically restructured by order of the Dept. of Education Office of Civil Rights, which found that it discriminated against girls. The woman who chaired the PGC school board was pleased: "The point here is that we were shortchanging female students, and we're not going to do that anymore."
... In 1996, New York City public schools established the Young Women's Leadership School, an all-girls public school in East Harlem. The school is a great success and many, including the NYT, urged then schools chancellor Rudy Crew to establish a "similar island of excellence for boys." Crew rejected the idea of a comparable all-boys school. He regarded the girls' school as reparatory for past educational practices that neglected girls. That made it permissible. As he told the Times, "this is a case where the existence of the all-girls school makes an important statement about the viable education of girls. I want to continue to make that statement." Presumably the statement would lose its force and point if an all-boys school were allowed to exist alongside.
The bolded portion, about "shortchanging" girls, comes from an AAUW study called How Schools Shortchange Girls. When a psychologist exposed a number of errors in the study, the president of the AAUW said, "reducing the problems of our children to this petty 'who is worse off, boys or girls?' [which] gets us nowhere."

Anyways, I thought you wanted to see evidence it is caused by lack of due process in sexual misconduct accusations; I'm not aware of any existing.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

I have a feeling that some apples and oranges are getting mixed up here. There have indeed been inequities that disfavored girls/women in the past. Addressing existing inequities has my vote, but now I get the sense that schools have crossed a line and the policies are now getting destructive.

Also, college women outnumbering men doesn't necessarily translate to greater success in the workplace. The gender pay gap still exists. And maybe it's just me, but the top levels & high status positions in my field are still mainly occupied by men. There are a lot of women around but they're more likely to be low status. In fact, I think my dept likes to hire women clinicians specifically because they figure they'll be more subservient and will be content to work harder than a man for less pay. Whereas, the men that get hired are mostly high profile researchers or physician-scientists. If this changes because of those destructive policies, that wouldn't make me happy. I'd rather see more high profile women get hired for the right reasons.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

WiseOne wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:43 pm Also, college women outnumbering men doesn't necessarily translate to greater success in the workplace. The gender pay gap still exists. And maybe it's just me, but the top levels & high status positions in my field are still mainly occupied by men. There are a lot of women around but they're more likely to be low status. In fact, I think my dept likes to hire women clinicians specifically because they figure they'll be more subservient and will be content to work harder than a man for less pay. Whereas, the men that get hired are mostly high profile researchers or physician-scientists. If this changes because of those destructive policies, that wouldn't make me happy. I'd rather see more high profile women get hired for the right reasons.
However, when you control for experience, industry, and job level (comparing apples to apples), it's < 3%. Not quite in the noise, but close.

https://www.payscale.com/data/gender-pay-gap
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne »

Nice article, but its conclusions are different from the comments on it here. The main points are:

1. The gender pay gap still exists even after controlling for industry, experience etc.

2. Women are far less likely to be promoted or hired into high-paying jobs than men, and this is really the main issue. It's not explained solely by maternity leave. See my comments above regarding my own observations at my workplace. I do in fact think there is a stereotype that women are great for low level, workhorse positions because they'll work at least as hard as men for less pay, and won't be pushing to get promoted which would bring them higher salaries. I know for a fact that women recruits with equal experience got offered less than men recruits (because I get to see salaries up to NIH cap on grant applications).
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

InsuranceGuy wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:01 pm I have to agree that any gender wage gap exists simply because of other confounding effects such as those listed by drumminj. Suppose for a minute that there was a wage gap, don't you think greedy business owners would see the arbitrage opportunity in the labor market and only hire women to squeeze more profits; thus forcing gender wages back into equillibrium. It's just economics principles at work here.
Yes, I would think that was obvious.

But apparently not, even to some very intelligent people.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am
WiseOne wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:23 am It's not explained solely by maternity leave.
Perhaps, but add in the other maternal time off and there you go. A female family member works for a large corporation. She was promoted to VP instead of a male colleague, but then decided she didn't want to work 40 hours/week while her kids were in grade school. She chose to be room mom and cub scout leader instead. So she gave up her VP title & her company car, and went down to 3x10 hour days so she could keep her benefits. After 15 years of this, they offered her another promotion which would require 40 hours and less work-from-home. She turned it down, even though both kids are in high school, but because they haven't left yet for college. Do you think she will ever catch up form these choices?
Why do you hate women? ;)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

MangoMan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:03 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:34 am
MangoMan wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am
Perhaps, but add in the other maternal time off and there you go. A female family member works for a large corporation. She was promoted to VP instead of a male colleague, but then decided she didn't want to work 40 hours/week while her kids were in grade school. She chose to be room mom and cub scout leader instead. So she gave up her VP title & her company car, and went down to 3x10 hour days so she could keep her benefits. After 15 years of this, they offered her another promotion which would require 40 hours and less work-from-home. She turned it down, even though both kids are in high school, but because they haven't left yet for college. Do you think she will ever catch up form these choices?
Why do you hate women? ;)
Au contraire. I know that was sarcasm. My point obviously, is that life is all about choices. Pretty much everything is your own fault, good and bad. What I don't enjoy is listening to complaints about problems that are the result of your own choices. Or blaming everything that is wrong in the world on white men.
There's always the option of blaming everything on "the Jews".
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

As long as you put it in quotes. 8)
🍍
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy »

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0 A gentleman used to actually do that here, except he wasn't joking. I won't dredge up his name because he's still here, and he didn't mean any harm.

Off topic: You have a great profile pic.
🍍