The Green New Deal

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Green New Deal

Post by jacksonM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm

I'm sure that most of the Dems supporting the GND (are there any who aren't) are doing so because they have studied the science themselves and reasonably concluded that it truly is, as they say, an "existential crisis". AOC, being probably the most recent college graduate among them, was surely well-schooled on this subject the same as she was in economics.

Sarcasm intended.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:21 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:06 pm
I'm sure that most of the Dems supporting the GND (are there any who aren't) are doing so because they have studied the science themselves and reasonably concluded that it truly is, as they say, an "existential crisis". AOC, being probably the most recent college graduate among them, was surely well-schooled on this subject the same as she was in economics.

Sarcasm intended.
Whew, for a minute there I was afraid you were serious!

But you are right that she does know just as much about climate science as she does about economics.

0 = 0.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm

I believe she was an international studies major with an economics track (a couple classes), not an economics major. Unverified.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:26 pm
I believe she was an international studies major with an economics track (a couple classes), not an economics major. Unverified.
From Wikipedia
Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007.[20] She came second in the Microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode C. elegans.[21] In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the International Astronomical Union named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[22][23] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[24] In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer.[25][26] During college, she served as an intern in the immigration office during the final year of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy's tenure.[27] "I was the only Spanish speaker, and as a result, as basically a kid—a 19-, 20-year-old kid—whenever a frantic call would come into the office because someone is looking for their husband because they have been snatched off the street by ICE, I was the one that had to pick up that phone," Ocasio-Cortez said. "I was the one that had to help that person navigate that system."[27]

She graduated cum laude from Boston University's College of Arts and Sciences in 2011, majoring in international relations and economics.[24][28][29]
I'm assuming that she was the author of most of this Wikipedia entry.

I have no clue what "nematode C. elegans" are. Maybe Sophie can enlighten us. Sounds pretty impressive for a high school student even if she did only come in second.

It says that she majored in economics at Boston University but what I wonder about mostly is where was it that she observed that most Americans are working three jobs and living in cars (yes, I heard her say that)? I don't know about you but I don't see anything like that in my neighborhood or anywhere close to it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 pm

nematodes are tiny worms. C is a genus abbrev. and elegans is the species. I think.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:57 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:51 pm
nematodes are tiny worms. C is a genus abbrev. and elegans is the species. I think.
So, basically, you are saying she is an expert on slithering? No wonder she went into politics! O0
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:16 pm

She wormed her way into the Senate. O0

I don’t hate AOC. However I do dislike all the undeserved attention and the people who are giving it to her.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 am

[/quote]

From Wikipedia
Ocasio-Cortez attended Yorktown High School, graduating in 2007.[20] She came second in the Microbiology category of the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair with a microbiology research project on the effect of antioxidants on the lifespan of the nematode C. elegans.[21] In a show of appreciation for her efforts, the International Astronomical Union named a small asteroid after her: 23238 Ocasio-Cortez.[22][23] In high school, she took part in the National Hispanic Institute's Lorenzo de Zavala (LDZ) Youth Legislative Session. She later became the LDZ Secretary of State while she attended Boston University. Ocasio-Cortez had a John F. Lopez Fellowship.[24] In 2008, while Ocasio-Cortez was a sophomore at Boston University, her father died of lung cancer.[25][26] During college, she served as an intern in the immigration office during the final year of U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy's tenure.[27] "I was the only Spanish speaker, and as a result, as basically a kid—a 19-, 20-year-old kid—whenever a frantic call would come into the office because someone is looking for their husband because they have been snatched off the street by ICE, I was the one that had to pick up that phone," Ocasio-Cortez said. "I was the one that had to help that person navigate that system."[27]
Although I don't doubt she's a hard & ambitious worker, I detect a hint of "Member of Most Favored Minority" advantages in here. Did the other Intel ISEF winners get asteroids named after them? And I'm afraid I find it hard to believe that she was the only Spanish speaker in Ted Kennedy's immigration office.

Hopefully, people will eventually realize that there's little substance behind all the blather.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:42 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:10 am

From Wikipedia
Although I don't doubt she's a hard & ambitious worker, I detect a hint of "Member of Most Favored Minority" advantages in here. Did the other Intel ISEF winners get asteroids named after them? And I'm afraid I find it hard to believe that she was the only Spanish speaker in Ted Kennedy's immigration office.

Hopefully, people will eventually realize that there's little substance behind all the blather.
You must be new around here. :D
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:16 pm
She wormed her way into the Senate. O0
Actually she's in the House, not the Senate. Which is bad enough.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:09 am

Excuse me, yes: House.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:24 pm

Apparently Powell bashed MMT to both the House and Senate the last few days. Of course, AOC was not present for this: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fed-powe ... 29640.html