Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:25 pm

VANCOUVER, Wash. — Amber Gorrow is afraid to leave her house with her infant son because she lives at the epicenter of Washington state’s worst measles outbreak in more than two decades. Born eight weeks ago, Leon is too young to get his first measles shot, putting him at risk for the highly contagious respiratory virus, which can be fatal in small children.

Gorrow also lives in a community where she said being anti-vaccine is as acceptable as being vegan or going gluten free. Almost a quarter of kids in Clark County, Wash., a suburb of Portland, Ore., go to school without measles, mumps and rubella immunizations, and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee (D) recently declared a state of emergency amid concern that things could rapidly spin out of control.

Measles outbreaks have sprung up in nine other states this winter, but officials are particularly alarmed about the one in Clark County because of its potential to go very big, very quickly.

The Pacific Northwest is home to some of the nation’s most vocal and organized anti-vaccination activists. That movement has helped drive down child immunizations in Washington, as well as in neighboring Oregon and Idaho, to some of the lowest rates in the country, with as many as 10.5 percent of kindergartners statewide in Idaho unvaccinated for measles. That is almost double the median rate nationally.

Libertarian-leaning lawmakers, meanwhile, have bowed to public pressure to relax state laws to exempt virtually any child from state vaccination requirements whose parents object. Three states allow only medical exemptions; most others also permit religious exemptions. And 17, including Washington, Oregon and Idaho, allow what they call “philosophical” exemptions, meaning virtually anyone can opt out of the requirements.

All those elements combine into a dangerous mix, spurring concern about the resurgence of a deadly disease that once sent tens of thousands of Americans to hospitals each year and killed an estimated 400 to 500 people, many of them young children.

Read the rest here...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... b926118e26
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by pugchief » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm

What can you say? They reap what they sow. Portland is so left-wing out of control it's scary. Worse even than SF.
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by Maddy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 pm

I'm old enough to remember being intentionally exposed before the age of 7 to not only measles but to mumps and chicken pox. The thought was that these illnesses were easily weathered by kids but could create problems if contracted later on in life. You've really got to wonder about today's "spare no intervention" approach to health policy, when several generations skated through these illnesses with relatively few problems.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2272
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by ochotona » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 pm

I had the measles at 18, my childhood vax partly wore off, it was just horrible. I was wishing for death. High fever, chills, light phobia, hallucinating. Not cool.
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by l82start » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:40 am

Maddy wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 pm
I'm old enough to remember being intentionally exposed before the age of 7 to not only measles but to mumps and chicken pox. The thought was that these illnesses were easily weathered by kids but could create problems if contracted later on in life. You've really got to wonder about today's "spare no intervention" approach to health policy, when several generations skated through these illnesses with relatively few problems.
i had measles mumps and chicken pox as well, i wasn’t intentionally exposed but we got them when it went around.
We did get individual vaccinations for German measles and one or two other real bad illnesses (probably polio and I don’t recall what else now) but no big mix cocktails for more than one thing at a time or for common childhood illnesses.
"The future ain't what it used to be."

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2837
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by sophie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 am

You may have done OK Maddy, but the problem is that some don't. For starters, read this letter from Roald Dahl, where he talks about his daughter's death from subacute sclerosing panencephalitis at age 7:

https://www.roalddahlfans.com/dahls-wor ... s-illness/

The usual immune-compromised populations are going to have higher rates of morbidity/mortality from measles than the general population, and often vaccination isn't an option: infants, the elderly, people on immunosuppressive therapy for whatever reason, immune disorders, diabetics. Part of the reason to vaccinate everyone else is to protect them via herd immunity. Portland and Seattle have a problem because their vaccination rates have been allowed to drop below the 90% needed to get that effect.

Also measles is possibly the most contagious virus on the planet. Outbreaks are just plain disruptive and result in a lot of hospitalizations and lost business & school time. I'm not sure you'd buy this as an argument for vaccination, but just consider that in the pre-vaccination era when measles was rampant, hospitals had the extra capacity to deal with outbreaks. Today, due to cost cutting/profit maximization, they don't. And over-regulation will make it impossible to adapt quickly. Hospitals regularly fill up during flu season as it is - imagine what would happen during a major disease outbreak. Keep an eye on the news from the Northwest, because they may well be dealing with this soon.
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by l82start » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:34 am

i am not anti vaccination but if I had kids (i don’t) I would be inclined to do some research and ask some questions before vaccinating a child, my uninformed hunch is that the cocktail method of vaccination is based on an irrational fear of needles or of crying children, as is the immunisation of infants, when i was vaccinated only one was done at an age where I was to young to remember, the rest were done in early childhood (grade school age). I would probably vaccinate against the common illnesses now due to the herd immunity thing, and the fact that getting these illnesses as an adult is dangerous, but I would be extremely wary of giving them to young children during critical growth/development ages, and of using all in one shots, again just a uninformed hunch but I suspect multiple shots spread out over years is a safer and more in tune with natural immunity development than what is common vaccination practice today...
"The future ain't what it used to be."

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2966
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 am

A good article on the anti-vaxx movement...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_hesitancy
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by pugchief » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 am
A good article on the anti-vaxx movement...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_hesitancy
Despite overwhelming scientific consensus[3][4][5] that vaccines are safe and effective,[6] unsubstantiated scares regarding their safety still occur, resulting in outbreaks and deaths from vaccine-preventable diseases.
LOL. These same parents are undoubtedly climate change fanatics who claim the 'science' is unequivocal. As always, supreme hypocrisy and lack of logic from the far left.
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by moda0306 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am

pugchief wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:59 am
Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:12 am
A good article on the anti-vaxx movement...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine_hesitancy
Despite overwhelming scientific consensus[3][4][5] that vaccines are safe and effective,[6] unsubstantiated scares regarding their safety still occur, resulting in outbreaks and deaths from vaccine-preventable diseases.
LOL. These same parents are undoubtedly climate change fanatics who claim the 'science' is unequivocal. As always, supreme hypocrisy and lack of logic from the far left.
Anti-vax isn't a left-wing phenomenon. There are plenty on the anti-establishment left and anti-establishment right that believe vaccines are more dangerous than is being pushed by "the establishment."

That said, what drives "the left's" skepticism about vaccines is generally also what drives their skepticism about burning fossil fuels at an alarming rate... that tinkering with nature on such a grand scale comes with a bunch of risks... some of which can be identified, and some we simply don't know, but the burden of proof should be on the the fossil fuel burners and vaccine proponents, as they're the ones altering the environment.

I'm paraphrasing and generalizing of course...
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7656
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:59 am

I'm old enough to remember being intentionally exposed before the age of 7 to not only measles but to mumps and chicken pox.
Interesting. When one of my siblings contracted chicken pox, all three of us were put together to get it over with. But, with chicken pox, I thought the logic was that it's much worse if it hits you as an adult. (I'll be waiting years for a shingles vaccine. Supplies are low).
We certainly weren't intentionally exposed to anything else. Is that true about chicken pox and childhood, btw? I don't know.
sophie wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:08 am
You may have done OK Maddy, but the problem is that some don't. For starters, read this letter from Roald Dahl, where he talks about his daughter's death from subacute sclerosing panencephalitis at age 7:

https://www.roalddahlfans.com/dahls-wor ... s-illness/
I saw the text of that letter on Reddit yesterday. Very moving. And I was sick in bed (with a bad cold), so that amplified my feelings.
Last edited by dualstow on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
today is treasury bond interest day
The monarch butterfly may go extinct 👣
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7656
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Major Measels Outbreak Fearred in Washington State (anti-vaxxers)

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:01 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:25 am
but the burden of proof should be on the the fossil fuel burners and vaccine proponents, as they're the ones altering the environment.

I'm paraphrasing and generalizing of course...
Fine with me, but the burden of death should be on the anti-vaxxers.
today is treasury bond interest day
The monarch butterfly may go extinct 👣
Post Reply