Goddamn mountain lions

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:06 pm

I saw a mountain lion, being a total dick, attacked some guy jogging in Colorado, who hit it with a rock and fucking strangled it to death with his bare hands. Some guys have all the luck.
Only a few prefer liberty-- the majority seek nothing more than fair masters.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8041
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by moda0306 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:19 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:06 pm
I saw a mountain lion, being a total dick, attacked some guy jogging in Colorado, who hit it with a rock and fucking strangled it to death with his bare hands. Some guys have all the luck.
But srsly how badass is the rest of your life when THAT is what you're famous for...
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm

But I shoot ONE FERAL CAT that was taking a shit in my garden, and I'M a monster.
Only a few prefer liberty-- the majority seek nothing more than fair masters.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by pugchief » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:39 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm
But I shoot ONE FERAL CAT that was taking a shit in my garden, and I'M a monster.
If it had been a mountain lion, you would have gotten a pass. But only if you strangled it instead of shooting it.

If you want to play, learn the rules. O0
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2058
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Xan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:04 pm

Our (former) governor shot a coyote one time while on a walk with his dog. Strangling would have been more impressive.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:13 am

pugchief wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:39 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:15 pm
But I shoot ONE FERAL CAT that was taking a shit in my garden, and I'M a monster.
If it had been a mountain lion, you would have gotten a pass. But only if you strangled it instead of shooting it.

If you want to play, learn the rules. O0
To be transparent, I shot it with a garden hose. It was walking, like a smug little son of a bitch, and was almost under my back deck when I nailed it right in the hip. It jumped five feet straight up in the air and then took off like a rocket. The next day, I swear this is true, I found that it had left me a headless mouse as an offering on my front porch. They now see me as a God.
Only a few prefer liberty-- the majority seek nothing more than fair masters.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus
User avatar
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 752
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:43 am

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Maddy » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am

Cougars have become a real problem in this area. Not too long ago, my dog treed a cub in a wooded area just outside of my house. I heard lots of big branches breaking, and my dog was going crazy at the base of the tree, leading me to believe that she had probably treed a small bear. I finally got my dog inside, and it was not more than 10 minutes later that I looked out the window and a huge mama lion came striding across the grass toward the tree.

Around here, cougars have pretty much decimated the deer population, and they've become very bold, coming right up to houses and snatching large dogs from front porches. The laws overwhelmingly protect the cougars, so you shoot one at the risk of doing jail time. Lots of heated political debate around here about the official stance on cougars, which, quite simply, is either that they're not here or that they didn't do it.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2515
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by pugchief » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 am

Maddy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am
Cougars have become a real problem in this area.
Cougars are a problem here in the suburbs, too. My 30yo daughter's friends report that they can't find decent guys to date because 30ish guys are all consumed with 40-something divorcees. :P
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3709
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am

pugchief wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 am
Maddy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am
Cougars have become a real problem in this area.
Cougars are a problem here in the suburbs, too. My 30yo daughter's friends report that they can't find decent guys to date because 30ish guys are all consumed with 40-something divorcees. :P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good one!
If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes? Can an atheist get insurance against "Acts of God"? One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7656
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 pm

I never dreamed a thread about such a frustrating topic could be so entertaining. (Did anyone watch Arctic Wolf Pack on PBS the other day? Not entertaining, more like tragic. But very well done.
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am
pugchief wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 am
Maddy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am
Cougars have become a real problem in this area.
Cougars are a problem here in the suburbs, too. My 30yo daughter's friends report that they can't find decent guys to date because 30ish guys are all consumed with 40-something divorcees. :P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good one!
O0 O0
(kriegsspiel (who else would it be?))
I found that it had left me a headless mouse as an offering on my front porch. They now see me as a God.
O0 O0 O0
today is treasury bond interest day
The monarch butterfly may go extinct 👣
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:08 am
pugchief wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:20 am
Maddy wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:56 am
Cougars have become a real problem in this area.
Cougars are a problem here in the suburbs, too. My 30yo daughter's friends report that they can't find decent guys to date because 30ish guys are all consumed with 40-something divorcees. :P
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good one!
Light choking only, thank you. >:D
Only a few prefer liberty-- the majority seek nothing more than fair masters.
- Gaius Sallustius Crispus
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7656
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Goddamn mountain lions

Post by dualstow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Always keep a safe word.
today is treasury bond interest day
The monarch butterfly may go extinct 👣
Post Reply