Oxycontin

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Oxycontin

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:39 am

Jackson and Moda, if you want to get worked up about something, read the story of the Sackler family, the robber barons of Oxycontin. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... re-of-pain
Truly appalling.
https://www.reddit.com/r/TactiCat
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by sophie » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:34 am

Fascinating article - thanks for posting!

As per usual though, there's an agenda here. Definitely pharmaceutical companies advertising tactics, influence on medical literature and research, and the revolving door with the FDA has played its part. I'd like nothing better than to see this reined in. I think the bigger problem, though, is that doctors have had progressively less and less time to spend with patients. This all got much worse under Obama...it's now about billing, ticking off checkboxes, etc, with maybe 30 seconds to spare for actual patients per visit. And we get rated now, so we have to make the customer - ahem, patient - happy. How do you that? Write a prescription of course!

In other words, if you address the problems outlined in the article, you may reduce opioid overdose deaths and addition somewhat, but I suspect you won't solve the problem. There are other factors too btw...like the "Doctor Google" and doctor shopping phenomenon, and ever increasing rates of psychiatric illness (which most of these prescriptions are written for). Sadly, I have a family member who is a poster child for exactly this, and I know it's not going to end well.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:49 am

The 2019 Medscape survey confirms.

Burnout defined as long term, unresolvable job stress that leads to exhaustion and feeling overwhelmed, cynical, detached from the job, and lacking a sense of personal accomplishment.

Thread split?
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:20 pm

I hear you, Sophie.

And yes, this would make a good thread of its own. My fault for derailing.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Oxycontin

Post by Xan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I've split off the new discussion.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 pm

At the risk of derailing this new thread I offer that for Christians the subject of burnout (i.e. allowing yourself to become burned out) is not at the top of the list of things to think about. When one keeps focus on Jesus and His promises, temporal issues are much more manageable because of the hope that is within us. Hope, a big word with even bigger comforting results. Seriously.

1 Peter 3:13 Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for righteousness' sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, 15 but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, 16 having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God's will, than for doing evil.
Romans 1:16-32
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:15 pm

I had shoulder surgery in December, too much Aikido I suppose, and I found Oxycontin to be a rough and revolting drug with terrible side-effects. I never had an issue with codeine (Tylenol 3).
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:28 pm

I think this spin-off thread is confusing two different stories in the news - one about Oxycontin and another about physician burnout.

And of course there is Mountaineer telling us that Jesus is the answer to everything if you want a three-way circus.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:28 pm
And of course there is Mountaineer telling us that Jesus is the answer to everything if you want a three-way circus.
+1
Mountaineer, please keep the religious diatribes to the religion thread. Thanks
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 pm

jacksonM wrote:
I think this spin-off thread is confusing two different stories in the news - one about Oxycontin and another about physician burnout.
If burned out physicians are cynical about their work, they are probably more easily influenced by the marketers at Purdue Pharma.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:46 pm

pugchief wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm
jacksonM wrote:
+1
Pug, with all due respect, and I mean that seriously because I enjoy your posts and insights, I think if you examine your request you will see the ill-logic and "conversation shutdown" aspects of it. Asking someone to not discuss something that they think is important just because another does not hold the same value for the subject (i.e. religion) is in my humble opinion very short sighted although typical of our increasingly divided nation. It is like asking someone to never mention gold outside of the Gold Forum, or asking a democrat never to mention the word democrat because it might offend a republican - or vice versa. Thus, I hear what you are asking, and I generally try to hold religion comments to the religion thread, but in this specific case, I think Christianity is a likely valuable solution to the burnout problem, and probablty the oxy problem - I fully understand that non-believers cannot see that and they have their own ideas. I also do not try to to have posts banned to some other thread just because it offends me. If I see something I don't like, I just move on to those posts I enjoy and do not try to take a specific and generalize it to shut down the conversation. If Xan wishes to ban me from the forum, so be it for speaking up, but I think one huge problem with our country is failure of the church to take a stand on issues and speak up when it needs to. Our country is in a huge mess, e.g. abortion of 61,000,000 human beings since Roe vs. Wade, and personally think a significant factor is people spending far too much time caring about themselves instead of caring for their friends and neighbors and other humans in general including the unborn. Obviously, I'm not accusing you of that as I don't know you other than through your posts. I do think you are quite smart. That is why I started my post the way I did. I doubt you want to be perceived as joining the lemmings of hating all things Christian and loving all things secular (or Buddhist or Muslim) while persecuting the Christians as my post of 1 Peter 3 indicates is completely expected for those who stand up for their belief in Christ, that He intersected time and space to provide the solution to the problem that man is incapable of solving on his own. Peace be with you, you are forgiven.
Romans 1:16-32
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:03 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:46 pm
pugchief wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm
jacksonM wrote:
+1
Pug, with all due respect, and I mean that seriously because I enjoy your posts and insights, I think if you examine your request you will see the ill-logic and "conversation shutdown" aspects of it. Asking someone to not discuss something that they think is important just because another does not hold the same value for the subject (i.e. religion) is in my humble opinion very short sighted although typical of our increasingly divided nation. It is like asking someone to never mention gold outside of the Gold Forum, or asking a democrat never to mention the word democrat because it might offend a republican - or vice versa. Thus, I hear what you are asking, and I generally try to hold religion comments to the religion thread, but in this specific case, I think Christianity is a likely valuable solution to the burnout problem, and probablty the oxy problem - I fully understand that non-believers cannot see that and they have their own ideas. I also do not try to to have posts banned to some other thread just because it offends me. If I see something I don't like, I just move on to those posts I enjoy and do not try to take a specific and generalize it to shut down the conversation. If Xan wishes to ban me from the forum, so be it for speaking up, but I think one huge problem with our country is failure of the church to take a stand on issues and speak up when it needs to. Our country is in a huge mess, e.g. abortion of 61,000,000 human beings since Roe vs. Wade, and personally think a significant factor is people spending far too much time caring about themselves instead of caring for their friends and neighbors and other humans in general including the unborn. Obviously, I'm not accusing you of that as I don't know you other than through your posts. I do think you are quite smart. That is why I started my post the way I did. I doubt you want to be perceived as joining the lemmings of hating all things Christian and loving all things secular (or Buddhist or Muslim) while persecuting the Christians as my post of 1 Peter 3 indicates is completely expected for those who stand up for their belief in Christ, that He intersected time and space to provide the solution to the problem that man is incapable of solving on his own. Peace be with you, you are forgiven.
Mountaineer, with all due respect, I see no reason to quote a bible verse in a thread on oxycontin. It's just irrelevant. You may think otherwise, but it is simply not correct forum etiquette. It has nothing to do with whether anyone is a believer or not. No one is being a lemming or hater on any religion. No one wants you banned. It's just that constantly interjecting religion into non-religious topics is tiresome. Ditto on the interjections on abortion. Just off topic. No offense intended, you are entitled to your views.