Merry Christmas

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3002
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:47 pm
Location: Florida USA
Contact:

Merry Christmas

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:57 am

Wishing a blessed feast to all those celebrating the Nativity on this day.

Image
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2165
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Xan » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks, Ad O. And a merry (early) Christmas to you too!
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8035
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by dualstow » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:29 pm

Just came home from a Christmas feast ... at a Chinese restaurant. O0 Pretty great.

Upon our return, house was full of liquid cat vomit. Not so great.
public service message:if you’re going to holiday in the Dominican Republic, don’t drink from the minibar...
User avatar
europeanwizard
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:06 am
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by europeanwizard » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:30 am

Happy Christmas!

Off to my sister-in-law. Last time I had a pretty interesting conversation on investments there, with one of her friends. Probably no such luck this time :D Oh well.
User avatar
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1533
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 am

Hope everyone had the best Christmas ever.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2988
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by sophie » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:24 am

And merry christmas to all of you too!

Dualstow, you now know for certain that a) your cat loves you, and b) you need a new cat sitter. Also check out the article in the NY Times about the Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas because that traditionally was the only type of restaurant open.
User avatar
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2048
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by buddtholomew » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:37 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:24 am
And merry christmas to all of you too!

Dualstow, you now know for certain that a) your cat loves you, and b) you need a new cat sitter. Also check out the article in the NY Times about the Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas because that traditionally was the only type of restaurant open.
So true...also in A Christmas Story.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8035
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:34 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:24 am
And merry christmas to all of you too!

Dualstow, you now know for certain that a) your cat loves you, and b) you need a new cat sitter. Also check out the article in the NY Times about the Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas because that traditionally was the only type of restaurant open.
O0
A couple clarifications - nothing to do w/ the sitter. We'd just been gone for a few hours, so no sitter.

I saw an article in the Atlantic saying that although more recently, it was about that being the only type open like you said -- and the same thing is heard in the background of that that Elena Kagan confirmation video clip -- but that the tradition goes back to Jewish and Chinese immigrants kind of coming of age together in New York. //sorry for this rambling sentence.

I do love Christmas, though. Grew up in a very white, very Christian town and I always wanted a tree.
public service message:if you’re going to holiday in the Dominican Republic, don’t drink from the minibar...
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8035
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:39 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:02 am
Hope everyone had the best Christmas ever.
I didn't notice the link in there until today.
Awesome. O0
public service message:if you’re going to holiday in the Dominican Republic, don’t drink from the minibar...
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:26 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:34 am
sophie wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:24 am
And merry christmas to all of you too!

Dualstow, you now know for certain that a) your cat loves you, and b) you need a new cat sitter. Also check out the article in the NY Times about the Jewish tradition of going out for Chinese food on Christmas because that traditionally was the only type of restaurant open.
O0
A couple clarifications - nothing to do w/ the sitter. We'd just been gone for a few hours, so no sitter.

I saw an article in the Atlantic saying that although more recently, it was about that being the only type open like you said -- and the same thing is heard in the background of that that Elena Kagan confirmation video clip -- but that the tradition goes back to Jewish and Chinese immigrants kind of coming of age together in New York. //sorry for this rambling sentence.

I do love Christmas, though. Grew up in a very white, very Christian town and I always wanted a tree.
I always wanted a Red Ryder, not so much the leg lamp! Full disclosure: I prefer Vietnamese and Japanese food to Chinese. :)
The world removes God; the Word gives Christ.
The devil accuses us; the Word sustains faith.
Sin says live for self; the Word says live for others.

The right-hand statement gives fortification against the unholy trinity of the left-hand statement.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 8035
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by dualstow » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:26 pm

I always wanted a Red Ryder, not so much the leg lamp! Full disclosure: I prefer Vietnamese and Japanese food to Chinese. :)
All great stuff. If I recall correctly, I met my future sister-in-law in a Korean restaurant on Christmas.
public service message:if you’re going to holiday in the Dominican Republic, don’t drink from the minibar...
User avatar
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3731
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:51 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:22 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:26 pm

I always wanted a Red Ryder, not so much the leg lamp! Full disclosure: I prefer Vietnamese and Japanese food to Chinese. :)
All great stuff. If I recall correctly, I met my future sister-in-law in a Korean restaurant on Christmas.
O0
The world removes God; the Word gives Christ.
The devil accuses us; the Word sustains faith.
Sin says live for self; the Word says live for others.

The right-hand statement gives fortification against the unholy trinity of the left-hand statement.
Post Reply