Book rec: The Mandibles

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book rec: The Mandibles

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:47 am spoiler alerts, vinny, spoiler alerts. O0
well, I’ll wait until I finish before I check back in.
Sorry! On the basis of what you'd written and that I'd considered that I'd barely gotten that far in the book I had assumed you'd already read what I had described and that you were now ahead of me.

And, rereading how much I did say about the book I hardly said much. But I'll refrain until you are done.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Nah, it's ok. I have no business revisiting this thread until I finish. I don't know what I was thinking. O0
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Thanks to this thread and Rickards, I have a copy of the mandibles on hold for me at the library! ^-^
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
www.allterraininvesting.com
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

Check out what I got!
IMG_5641.jpeg
IMG_5641.jpeg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4613 times
It has been a nice day off reading today. Friggin' looove it so far!

EDIT: Why did my photo get rotated? Strange.
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

What is that ring? Did you leave a ring on the book or is that a special edition? My library copy doesn’t have it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Smith1776 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:25 pm Thanks to this thread and Rickards, I have a copy of the mandibles on hold for me at the library! ^-^
This past Friday / Saturday / Sunday nights I went to hear live music and prior to the music went out to eat each of those three nights. The first two nights it was just me. While I was eating (and while waiting in line outside Friday night) this was the book of choice for me to read. It's much better than I thought upon initially starting it. But still not as good as one of Rickards's books.

Vinny
Last edited by vnatale on Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 »

dualstow wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:31 pm What is that ring? Did you leave a ring on the book or is that a special edition? My library copy doesn’t have it.
It's my gold ring that I wear daily!

It's my last resort, bottom dollar, deep deep deep deep emergency gold. ;D
MB
Ruby on Rails rules all
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I have to admit, this book is coloring everything I read now. (coloring book O0 )
I have reread Vinny "All I want to do is exhume exhume zoom and-a boom boom"'s latest thread resurrection, 'Why the PP is better in accumulation than you think' Read the first eight pages of it, anyway.

I had forgotten how spicy things got in 2015! When mathjak made the point of people not being able to bid up gold if the dollar becomes worthless...it's different from the book but it still made me think of it.

I have been out of town latelyand didn't take the book with me. It has made me very depressed about precious metals. I can only hope it's a temporary condition. O0 Great reading, anyway. I didn't like the writing style for the first chapter and then came to love it.

P.S. exhume joke stolen from CNBC. Andrew Ross Sorkin, I think.