Fascinating article about Fox getting the NFL

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Fascinating article about Fox getting the NFL

Post by Xan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:38 pm

It's been 25 years. Even if you don't care about the NFL or sports in general, this is an intriguing story about an upstart company making some amazingly gutsy calls to jump straight to the bigtime.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/1 ... on-cbs-nbc
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fascinating article about Fox getting the NFL

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Neat.

-----
Joe Buck, St. Louis Cardinals announcer: He was — to me at least, because it’s what I do for a living — larger than the game. Even though he said he wasn’t. “I’m just an everyman. I’m just the guy at the bar that you nuzzle up against and you’re elbowing during a big play.” But he wasn’t that. … He was larger than life.

Artie Kempner, CBS director: To this day, John Madden is the best analyst in the business. Here’s why: No matter who you are — Troy Aikman, Jon Gruden, Al Michaels, Cris Collinsworth — we’re not the reason you tune in to watch games. You watch games or events because of the game or event. But what John Madden did better than anybody is take a shitty event and make it interesting or engaging. You could have a 31–3 game, and John could keep your attention.
This torch has been passed to Tony Romo. I will check to see what game Romo's announcing. And I think it's for the thing he does that's the opposite of what James Brown says a little further on in the article:
James Brown, CBS play-by-play announcer: He told us the one thing he wanted to do — our mantra — was “sugarcoat the information pill.” Make it fun. Don’t bore me with esoteric talk.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Speaking of the NFL, has anyone seen the Lt. Baker Mayfield twitter account? It takes the form of letters written from Civil War Lt. Mayfield to his mother.
Dearest Mother:
Despite occasional inaccurate fire by me, confusing orders
by Lt. Col. Williams, and harassment by the Striped Zebra
Cavalry, Browns Co. prevailed when Cpl. Peppers charged
Capt. Keenum and spiked his gun! We bring back to Cleveland
victory and hope!
-- Baker
That picture is pro.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:00 pm

https://sports.yahoo.com/tony-romo-stea ... 05368.html
CBS took a big chance two years ago, putting Romo on its No. 1 broadcast team despite him having no experience. But he has become the biggest NFL broadcaster since John Madden’s prime, and more than 100 million people tuning in to the New England Patriots-Los Angeles Rams Super Bowl will get a chance to marvel at Romo’s enthusiasm and his uncanny ability to call out plays before they happen.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.