Fear is the mind-killer

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fear is the mind-killer

Post by Kriegsspiel »

I think I'm much lazier than PS, and even I have picked up some work after becoming FI. I recall Jacob talking about this, but jobs can be interesting if they let you do something that you can't do by yourself. Like, launch a cruise missile, drive a school bus, or smash subatomic particles together.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:16 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:28 pm Not sure how long it's been since you've gone to school or kids to school
Graduated from college a decade ago. No kids that I know of.
O0 O0
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Pointedstick wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 am After I reached FI, even though I had all the time in the world to work on open-source software (my current passion project), I didn't actually start doing it until I had a new job on the horizon. I had to do a lot of hard, assumption-challenging thinking to figure out why that was.

What I eventually realized was that ERE didn't give me the feeling of freedom that I was looking for. Instead I just felt stagnant and stuck, and my money worries actually increased since there was no backup income in case my portfolio underperformed or shrunk. It made me realize that I needed to seek out the desired state of psychological liberation elsewhere, and that financial independence for me could never involve having juuuust enough money with a perfect micro-optimized portfolio; instead I need a great huge honkin' stash--and for that, I need to keep working, preferably at a job that I can actually enjoy instead of dreading. Of course, now that I've found such a job, I don't really want to stop working anytime soon! I know I will eventually, but that's why I'm still saving.
This is pretty much what happened to me as well. I think things might be different if I lived a more subsistence style life where my basic daily needs couldn't be met by just flipping a switch or turning a faucet handle. Although it would be an adjustment, I often wonder whether or not a "Dick Proenneke" lifestyle wouldn't best suit my temperament. There is a great deal of satisfaction, security, and over all connection to the so called marrow of life when you must take control of your own survival to the degree that Mr Proenneke did. (A youtube search under his name will bring up some videos that he shot living in Alaska. I found them inspiring). Although our modern society reduces many anxieties related to our survival, I think in some ways it also opens up space for us to fill with other ones.

What I have done currently as money has become less of an issue in my life is transition my labor to pursuits that interest me....working as a bike mechanic, part time handyman (I enjoy solving unique problems) and Ive considered taking jobs as a car mechanic and welder's assistant just to learn more. School is out of the question....I prefer learning on the job and getting paid...for more complicated things theres always youtube :-).

As far as investments I guess I'm with the permanent portfolio for life. I don't have the guts for the big stock market swings. The latest drop has not affected me in the least and that is important to me. I'm risk averse....not everyone is built the same.
Last edited by doodle on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

i am absolutely amazed by the Dick Proenneke movie and book, i got both as a gift from pbs and i turn it on and watch just to escape city life and de-stress... what an outstanding life choice..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

It's great to be young and know everything; I remember it well.

Now I'm old and I realize I don't know everything.

But I do know that having a solid financial position is very nice, not least because it lets you work on your own projects rather than having to work on someone else's.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:01 pm It's great to be young and know everything; I remember it well.

But I do know that having a solid financial position is very nice, not least because it lets you work on your own projects rather than having to work on someone else's.
But your not knowing certainly does NOT include politics and certain areas of investing! Or, at least that is the way you come across so confidently in stating your opinions in those areas...

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 pm
Libertarian666 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:01 pm It's great to be young and know everything; I remember it well.

But your not knowing certainly does NOT include politics and certain areas of investing! Or, at least that is the way you come across so confidently in stating your opinions in those areas...

Vinny
The fact that I have strong opinions on a number of topics doesn't mean that I think I know everything. I'm perfectly capable of making that distinction.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 am

Vinny
The fact that I have strong opinions on a number of topics doesn't mean that I think I know everything. I'm perfectly capable of making that distinction.
Tell me any differences between the following way I am going to describe myself and how you'd describe yourself......If I am confident in my knowledge regarding an issue then I quite strongly state my opinion. If I'm not confident in my knowledge then I am silent.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

vnatale wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:21 am
Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:55 am

Vinny
Tell me any differences between the following way I am going to describe myself and how you'd describe yourself......If I am confident in my knowledge regarding an issue then I quite strongly state my opinion. If I'm not confident in my knowledge then I am silent.

Vinny
The difference is that if I'm not confident in my knowledge I may say "I think this is the case but I don't have enough information to be certain."