Fee based financial advisors (for wife if she survives me)

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Fee based financial advisors (for wife if she survives me)

Post by I Shrugged »

I'm finally getting around to writing up some guidance for my wife, should I die before her.

I used to read a lot on Bogleheads, and recall there was a company which built its own proprietary index funds, and used a network of fairly reasonably priced fee advisors. I want to say maybe Rick Ferri and/or Larry Swedroe were among the advisors who used this company's funds. I've just googled both of them and don't find reference to the fund company.

At the time, several years ago, this sounded like a decent arrangement for someone not financially savvy but with some wealth. I don't want to go back to BH to ask if I don't have to. Does anyone here know the fund company I'm talking about?

EDIT: Digging around, I think it is DFA, Dimensional Fund Advisors.

My thinking is to write down my advice about the PP, but to offer a suggestion about hiring a fee based advisor, because she won't like the DIY route. I will definitely make the case for gold to be held. That could be done separately from what the fee based person does. And if she finds an honest and good advisor, it's probably for the best. Our children could get involved, but that shouldn't be necessary for quite a few years.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fee based financial advisors (for wife if she survives me)

Post by Kbg »

I.S.,

I think you are correct on DFA. However, I think when it comes to an FA you should focus way more on trust, reputation, complete account segregation from the firm (e.g. you really own your assets and not them) and their ability to provide good financial and estate planning.

The above stuff is way more important than asset allocation strategies.

You may want to listen to this podcast. There is a book referenced in the show notes that a quick scan of on Amazon looks to be useful.

https://mebfaber.com/2018/08/15/episode ... r-clients/
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fee based financial advisors (for wife if she survives me)

Post by I Shrugged »

Thanks, I will listen to that.

I am also thinking about a simpler (much cheaper) approach, namely using the annual free consultation from Vanguard Advisor Service. They have a fee based ongoing advisory service, but since our portfolio is simple, an annual consultation might suffice. First world problems indeed.