The official end of Swiss bank secrecy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The official end of Swiss bank secrecy

Post by boglerdude »

There should be a reality TV show where libertarians/ancaps start their own country with no police or wealth redistribution. They'd shoot from their bunkers at anybody who tried to turn around in their driveway etc
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

boglerdude wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:32 pm There should be a reality TV show where libertarians/ancaps start their own country with no police or wealth redistribution. They'd shoot from their bunkers at anybody who tried to turn around in their driveway etc
Assuming that isn't a joke, you really need to learn more about anarcho-capitalism.
A good place to start (other than his bogus IP theory) is A Spontaneous Order: The Capitalist Case for a Stateless Society (https://www.amazon.com/dp/1512117277).
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

a casual search turned up this bit from Italy’s Corriere della Sera
A “glass safe”
The list of questionable characters whose financial assets have been entrusted to Swiss banks is long: in addition to accounts held by the already mentioned Mobutu (Zaire), Marcos (Philippines), Gaddafi (Libya) and Duvalier (Haiti), there are those linked to the former tyrant of Tunisia, Ben Ali, and Egypt’s Hosni Mubarak. But the list of “politically exposed” figures also includes the former Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak, and the daughter of the Uzbek prime minister. After the abolition of banking secrecy rules, bilateral arrangements for the taxation of capital from abroad and the forthcoming international automatic exchange of bank data, will Switzerland become once and for all a “glass safe”? There is still some way to go, and some non-profit organisations point out that the new law does not restrict money coming into the accounts, which is too often accepted unquestioningly.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue »

Dualstow,

I find it ironic that an Italian newspaper complains about high profile foreigners hiding their ill-gotten gains in Swiss banks.

It is common knowledge in Italy that (literally) millions of Italians hide money in Swiss banks because they historically have not trusted their own country’s government and banks.

Of course, if Mussolini was the head of my government, and if my currency was depreciating like the Italian lira did, I think I would be looking for some nearby country to hide my assets too.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

That is ironic. O0 But of course, the newspaper is not complaining, and it spends a fair amount of time criticizing domestic goings-on.

They used to say that baseball was America’s national pastime and Italy’s was tax evasion.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.