Podcasts

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Podcasts

Post by ochotona » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:08 pm

I just found "Retirement Answer Man" by Roger Whitney. Very thoughtful podcast. That one's going to be a favorite.

I listen to Jesse Felder's Superinvestors also.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Podcasts

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 am

Good looking out. You reminded me to download some of the Hardcore History ones that moda is always talking about.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:37 am
Good looking out. You reminded me to download some of the Hardcore History ones that moda is always talking about.
Unfortunately, a couple of the best ones are required to be paid for... but completely worth it.

Wrath of the Khans and Ghosts of the Ostfront are amazing.

But you can still get his Blueprint for Armageddon (WWI) multi-parter for free, which is amazing as well (some call it his best), and the one he's recently started on the growth of the Japanese empire before WWII is very good as well... I hope it continues.

But as far as history podcasts go, Darryl Cooper's "Martyrmade Podcast" multi-parter on the Israel/Palestine conflict (called "Fear and Loathing in New Jarusalem) is possibly the best History Podcast I've ever heard. I felt like I had my soul hollowed out after that one. His episode on the Mai Lai Massacre is haunting as well. Don't expect to feel good after these, but they are engrossing.

Dangerous History is done by an anarcho-capitalist guy who had some amazing (yet more sloppily-delivered) podcasts about the CIA and history of the deep state that I really, really wish people could hear now that the concept is starting to gain some traction, but I think he moved them behind a paywall.

Daniele Bolele has a history podcast called History on Fire, and while I love the guy, many of the episodes I find mediocre with his heavy accented delivery. However, his three-parter on Teddy Roosevelt is so fun I always have to recommend that one.

Yes... I love history podcasts.

Lifting... if you're into weight lifting, listen to Mind Pump. The guys are smart and hilarious.

"The Survival Podcast" has great homesteading and other survival topics, and Jack Spirko is a wealth of knowledge.

"Free Thoughts" is a Cato podcast with great discussions on libertarian topics.

While not really a podcast, there's one I've downloaded on Apple simply called "Noam Chomsky." It's just a collection of his discussions, debates and "speeches." His last 8 years or so he's gotten a little old and slow and perhaps a bit lazier in his research, but anything from him between 1980 and 2010 is very, very good. He's one of my favorite "leftists" for lack of a better term. I don't agree with much of his economic opinions, but his knowledge of pertinent historical facts is mind-blowing.

The Scott Horton Show for in-depth foreign policy & war topics with a decidedly anti-war slant.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:15 pm

More suggestions!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:23 pm

Jesse Felder's podcast
Macrovoices.com
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:10 am

Econtalk
Masters in Business
Macro Musings
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:17 pm

The Celtic Holocaust and King of Kings were great. Martyrmade is fantastic.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:14 am

https://okdork.com/podcast/

His recent one, on happiness, is good.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 am

moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:17 pm
Did you listen to Fear and Loathing in New Jerusalem? How did you like it? Did it leave you with different thoughts on the Israel/Palestine conflict?

I hesitate to say this, but I think that might be my favorite historical podcast series including Dan Carlin's, though Wrath of the Khans, Ghosts of the Ostfront and Blueprints for Armageddon are all so good it's tough to pick a favorite.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Did you listen to Fear and Loathing in New Jerusalem? How did you like it? Did it leave you with different thoughts on the Israel/Palestine conflict?
Yup, that series. I liked it in the sense that I like learning new things, but I wouldn't exactly say it was... a fun listen. I don't think you could listen to it and not think about the conflict over there differently. The history of Zionism and its international support, the way the Jews bought the land from absentee landlords, the British involvement and Jewish terrorist activities, are all really fascinating to me.
I hesitate to say this, but I think that might be my favorite historical podcast series including Dan Carlin's, though Wrath of the Khans, Ghosts of the Ostfront and Blueprints for Armageddon are all so good it's tough to pick a favorite.
You know, I've been meaning to buy the Ghosts Of The Ostfront for a while now. Blueprint For Armageddon is the best podcast series I've ever heard. Hardcore History has some noteworthy cover at as well:

The Bigger Pockets Podcast is chock full of information while retaining a blue-collar, common sense vibe.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:50 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Yup, that series. I liked it in the sense that I like learning new things, but I wouldn't exactly say it was... a fun listen. I don't think you could listen to it and not think about the conflict over there differently. The history of Zionism and its international support, the way the Jews bought the land from absentee landlords, the British involvement and Jewish terrorist activities, are all really fascinating to me.
You know, I've been meaning to buy the Ghosts Of The Ostfront for a while now. Blueprint For Armageddon is the best podcast series I've ever heard. Hardcore History has some noteworthy cover at as well:

The Bigger Pockets Podcast is chock full of information while retaining a blue-collar, common sense vibe.
I might be one of the few that puts Ostfront near the top. I found the barbarity on the Eastern Front in WWII like a horror story. I'd actually love an extended podcast on how Russia went from a crumbling 3rd world monarchy in 1917 to where it ended up in the 1930s.

And yeah I wouldn't call Fear/Jerusalem "Fun." But fascinating.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 pm

krieggspiel wrote: (orig. attributed to moda. fixed)
The history of Zionism and its international support, the way the Jews bought the land from absentee landlords, the British involvement and Jewish terrorist activities, are all really fascinating to me.

The terrorist activities did not extend outside of the mideast, did they? That’s not a rhetorical question; I’m genuinely curious. I remember reading about the King David hotel bombing ages ago, but I need a refresher on the rest. I’ll have to get back into the podacst.
Last edited by dualstow on Mon May 20, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:04 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:35 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm
The history of Zionism and its international support, the way the Jews bought the land from absentee landlords, the British involvement and Jewish terrorist activities, are all really fascinating to me.

The terrorist activities did not extend outside of the mideast, did they? That’s not a rhetorical question; I’m genuinely curious. I remember reading about the King David hotel bombing ages ago, but I need a refresher on the rest. I’ll have to get back into the podacst.
That quote wasn't my comment, but I don't think there were Zionist/"Israeli" attacks outside of the Mideast. I put Israeli in quotes because it wasn't an actual country for a solid chunk of Zionist history.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon May 20, 2019 11:04 am

Ah, sorry about that. I see it was Kriegs’ quote
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:04 am
Ah, sorry about that. I see it was Kriegs’ quote
I SAW NO NOTIFICATION AND NOW I FEEL SLIGHTED

I can't think of any Zionist attacks outside of the area they were fighting for.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:32 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:05 am

I haven’t heard it yet, but yesterday I noticed Michael Lewis has a new podcast.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 pm

I found the Peter Attia Drive three-part sleep podcast with Matthew Walker to be most fascinating. I first heard him on Joe Rogan and also on Rhonda Patrick, but this conversation with Peter Attia is the most comprehensive.

#47 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part I of III: Dangers of poor sleep, Alzheimer’s risk, mental health, memory consolidation, and more

#48 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part II of III: Heart disease, cancer, sexual function, and the causes of sleep disruption (and tips to correct it)

#49 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part III of III: The penetrating effects of poor sleep from metabolism to performance to genetics, and the impact of caffeine, alcohol, THC, and CBD on sleep

There's also a bonus AMA esoisode, but I'm not a subscriber so haven't heard more than the teaser:

#58 – AMA with sleep expert, Matthew Walker, Ph.D.: Strategies for sleeping more, sleeping better, and avoiding things that are disrupting sleep

The take-home message is what we probably can intuit, but probably don't often practice: that sleep should be regular, long, uninterrupted, and deep. Just like many other things in life!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm

Jocko Podcast is really good.

Interestingly, he mentioned Martyrmade as one of his recommended podcasts. I don't think I've heard of anyone outside of this thread mention it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:23 pm

You can hear Scott Adams tell his life story here - https://www.zubymusic.com/podcast
At some point I fell asleep, but it was midnight and I was in bed. What I heard was very good.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:39 pm

Pet Hog wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 pm
I found the Peter Attia Drive three-part sleep podcast with Matthew Walker to be most fascinating. I first heard him on Joe Rogan and also on Rhonda Patrick, but this conversation with Peter Attia is the most comprehensive.

#47 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part I of III: Dangers of poor sleep, Alzheimer’s risk, mental health, memory consolidation, and more

#48 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part II of III: Heart disease, cancer, sexual function, and the causes of sleep disruption (and tips to correct it)

#49 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part III of III: The penetrating effects of poor sleep from metabolism to performance to genetics, and the impact of caffeine, alcohol, THC, and CBD on sleep

There's also a bonus AMA esoisode, but I'm not a subscriber so haven't heard more than the teaser:

#58 – AMA with sleep expert, Matthew Walker, Ph.D.: Strategies for sleeping more, sleeping better, and avoiding things that are disrupting sleep

The take-home message is what we probably can intuit, but probably don't often practice: that sleep should be regular, long, uninterrupted, and deep. Just like many other things in life!
Guy dismantles the first chapter of Why We Sleep, via Tyler Cowen.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:46 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm

I might be one of the few that puts Ostfront near the top. I found the barbarity on the Eastern Front in WWII like a horror story. I'd actually love an extended podcast on how Russia went from a crumbling 3rd world monarchy in 1917 to where it ended up in the 1930s.
I just watched Generation War (Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter) on Prime, a 3 part German miniseries set mainly around the Ostfront, and I'm about done with a second round with Blueprint For Armageddon, so I just picked up Ghosts Of The Ostfront. I have been putting together a list of books about it and it's going to be a focus area for a bit. Did you read anything you want to recommend?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm

My favourite podcast of all time is Hacked.

https://www.hackedpodcast.com/

It was short lived, but even a few years on I still go back and listen to the show occasionally. A must for computer science folks.
I still find the James Rickards portfolio fascinating.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks, Kriegsspiel. That's a well articulated critique. This smackdown is exactly how peer review should work, but I think (from personal experience -- when I was a chemistry postdoc I must have reviewed hundreds of manuscripts) it's rare for any peer-reviewer to go so deep as to check the references so thoroughly. I hope Matthew Walker responds and fixes his errors. Some of them seem really careless.

I still think the podcasts are "fascinating" and I'm sure some of the things he discusses are accurate!