Kavanaugh

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Kavanaugh

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:35 am

I can't believe I am the first one (??) to put up this topic.

Reading some Fox news article comments about the latest allegation by the woman when they were teenagers leaves me little hope for humanity and uniting of the American people anytime soon.

You probably already formed an opinion of my position from that one sentence.

But I can see it both ways.

--Sure, doing it at the last minute was a ploy most likely.
--I would never run for office simply because of the worry that some of the stupid things I did as a teenager would come out, and I personally could not with a straight face deny them.
--However, even on the occasions I had too much to drink, never, ever, would I have done to a girl what Kavanaugh is alleged to have done
--So does that mean it was one stupid act, or is there some deeper concern here about him?

I recall a friend in college who was the nicest guy on the surface. However, get some alcohol in him, and he never had a good word to say about anyone or anything. Scary the negativity that was inside.

Does alcohol bring out your true nature?

Lots of questions!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Kavanaugh

Post by ochotona » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:56 am

This is why most people don't want to run for office.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:31 am

I have a darker view of human nature, because I did things to girls as a teenager that were probably worse, all things considered, than what Kavanaugh is alleged to have done, and I can't even blame alcohol, just hormones and selfishness. With age has come better control of both of those things, and now I can comfortably say that I would have no trouble confirming myself to be a supreme court justice.

So, in my view, it's silly to consider things like this done as a teenager as a reason not to confirm him. Of course, if he was accused of something much more horrendous done as a teenager, then that would change things, but in that case I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have made it to where he is in life.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:19 am

It probably would have been better, ironically, if he'd been charged as a minor, if convicted the records would be sealed, right? But maybe he was over 18. IDK. What he was alleged to have done was really terrible, it set the woman back 4-5 years in her life emotionally, that's what she said. I believe her, trauma like that is very corrosive.

I'm losing my faith in men, that's all I can say.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm

Brings to mind the scathing commentary on "date rape" by Camille Paglia aired on 60 Minutes at least three decades ago. Nothing like a feminist-lesbian-liberal cultural critic with a penchant for truth-telling to put things in perspective.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:38 am

Wouldn't it be fun to live in a society where you can accuse someone of anything, from any point in time, with no proof*, and have people believe you? That would be dope.

* AFAIK
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:37 am

If he's lying - we lose

If she's lying - we lose

Who's winning here? I'd like to know.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 am

Charlie Sheen. He's bi-winning.
sweetbthescrivener

Post by sweetbthescrivener » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:44 am

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm

So some of you think a respected, professional 51 year old woman would put herself through this shitstorm falsely?

This was a comment on a NYT article related to this. I think it sums it up nicely. There's no rape allegation, but it seemed he was possibly going in that direction, esp. with the hand over her mouth aspect. If this is actually proven, I agree 100%:
------------------
As to the "boys will be boys" argument, I've been reminded of a conversation I had decades ago with my teenage boyfriend. We were all sitting around talking and somehow we got on the topic of criminal behavior and murder. Eventually someone said, "Well, rape is the worst thing you could do to someone, other than murder." And I so clearly remember what my boyfriend said in response. He said, "I think rape is worse. I mean, to rape a woman, I'd have to hold her down, keep her from struggling against me, force her into submission. I'd have to ignore her panic and fear. I'd have to get sexually aroused by it. While she's having the worst moment of her life, I'm supposed to be getting off? I think it'd be much easier to put a gun to someone's head and pull the trigger."

I was kind of shocked by the comment, because as a girl, I had considered the possibility of being raped, but not of raping. But the truth is that to a moral boy, a decent boy, the thought is horrendous. It's not part of sowing your wild oats. It's not "youthful indiscretion." It's repulsive to any normal human being. So these allegations better be taken seriously, because if he did this to Ms. Blasey Ford, he cannot be rewarded with a seat on the Court.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm
So some of you think a respected, professional 51 year old woman would put herself through this shitstorm falsely?
Sadly, yes. Gloria Allred created an entire cottage industry around publicizing similar accusations that strangely evaporate after votes, and it has been getting more and more lucrative in today's political climate. Here's a good article about it from late last year. While I'm absolutely willing to be proven wrong if verifiable facts come out, this just feels like more of the same to me.

Also, I'd take it a lot more seriously if Karen Monahan was receiving the same amount of support that's being afforded to Christine Blasey Ford. If you don't know who that is, that's my point. Politics truly corrupts and virtue in capitol hill is a lie that's just for show.
PortfolioCharts.com : Find a portfolio to love
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 pm

Tyler wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:14 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:01 pm
Sadly, yes. Gloria Allred created an entire cottage industry around publicizing similar accusations that strangely evaporate after votes, and it has been getting more and more lucrative in today's political climate. Here's a good article about it from late last year. While I'm absolutely willing to be proven wrong if verifiable facts come out, this just feels like more of the same to me.

Also, I'd take it a lot more seriously if Karen Monahan was receiving the same amount of support that's being afforded to Christine Blasey Ford. If you don't know who that is, that's my point. Politics truly corrupts and virtue in capitol hill is a lie that's just for show.
Read a few articles on Keith Ellison/Monahan. Terrible that even sexual/physical abuse allegations and how strongly they are pursued have partisanship involved.

I can understand a tiny, tiny little bit about the stronger pursuit of Kavanaugh because it is a lifetime appointment, but not much.

I hope Ellison is thoroughly investigated.