Konmari Method for Keeping Your House Clean

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

blackomen
Executive Member
Executive Member

Konmari Method for Keeping Your House Clean

Post by blackomen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:43 pm

I've been studying her method and philosophy for tidying your home right now and it sounds great for people who lean towards a minimal lifestyle. I won't go over all of it nor am I an expert in it (and you can google for what the method involves in detail) but here's a gist:

- The underlying philosophy: Throw away everything that doesn't make you happy and won't adversely affect your finances, career, relationship, etc. if gone.

- Throw stuff away (or donate them) first before you tackle how you'll arrange your living space or office.

- Rather than throwing stuff away by location, tackle them by category. Use the following category order as a guideline:

1. Start with clothes (includes backpacks, purses, shoes, etc.)
2. Then move on to physical books
3. Then tackle papers. When in doubt, throw it away. If you're not throwing something away, categorize it as either "need forever" (like contracts), "need soon" (like warranties or other papers with an expiration), "sentimental" (like cards from people). If it doesn't fit in any of it, throw it away. I'll also add if it's something that you don't need a physical copy of, then digitize it into Evernote, Onenote, etc. and throw it away anyways.
4. Miscellaneous non-sentimental items. Common items to throw out include: expired food, broken appliances, unknown electric cords, etc.
5. Lastly, look at your "sentimental" items and see if any have lost their sentimental value and throw those out.

- Once you're done throwing stuff out, organize everything by category in the same order above.

Thoughts?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Konmari Method for Keeping Your House Clean

Post by ochotona » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:15 pm

There are some things that should be kept that are small but could save you money and store trips... Sorted trays of fasteners, adhesives, tapes.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Konmari Method for Keeping Your House Clean

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:41 pm

Desert wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:48 pm
I haven't read it, but my wife did, at which point she began discarding all my stuff. I'm only partially kidding.

But seriously, it seems to make sense. I see some value, though, in using things up before discarding. My old t shirts I use for yard work, for example. I want those things in tatters before I stop wearing them, then I want to use them for shop rags. I like to focus more on not buying crap, rather than throwing away the crap I already bought, I guess.
+1 (I know where to find every nut, bolt, odd piece of metal, or tool that I have not used for 25 years but suddenly have a current need for. I'm not a horder, but am somewhat of an organized packrat. I guess my motive is focus on the potential value of something; or maybe I'm just cheap, but, I don't mind spending big bucks on an item if it is of high quality. I do mind throwing things out before they are used up, such as the example Desert gave on T-shirts. For me, fixing and maintaining things is far more rewarding than pitching them and buying replacements.)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.