Can I request permissions to edit my own posts?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Can I request permissions to edit my own posts?

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed May 02, 2018 11:54 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Can I request permissions to edit my own posts?

Post by l82start » Thu May 03, 2018 6:28 am

it looks like the edit post feature is set globally not by individual user, so you should have the same 1440 minutes (24 hrs) to edit your post as all the other users. if there is a feature in this forum that allows that setting to be individually set for each user i am not aware of it, perhaps xan knows of one..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu May 03, 2018 9:39 am

l82start wrote:it looks like the edit post feature is set globally not by individual user, so you should have the same 1440 minutes (24 hrs) to edit your post as all the other users. if there is a feature in this forum that allows that setting to be individually set for each user i am not aware of it, perhaps xan knows of one..
I don't see a user-level setting. The current settings (which I presume are the defaults) are for posts to be editable for 1 day, and deletable for 3 days.

It was certainly MediumTex's policy back in the day that you could delete your posts any time that you like. I've set the deletion to 0, which I believe means you can delete any of your posts. (There's some possibility that this disabled deletions entirely, but I don't think that's what it means.)

Edited posts do always show the timestamp of the last edit, and so I think (particularly in a forum with trustworthy users like ours) that I'm fine with enabling editing indefinitely far back as well.

Giving others a chance to weigh in on that before flipping the switch, though. Fire away.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 03, 2018 1:49 pm

My vote would be to allow deleting posts anytime the original poster desires for whatever reason.

Reason: 1984 and/or Minority Report ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm

[deleted]
Last edited by InsuranceGuy on Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm

I've changed the setting so that posts are editable regardless of how old they are. Let's see whether this causes any problems.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Mon May 07, 2018 8:44 am

[deleted]
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue May 08, 2018 6:02 am

Xan, thank you for the time and talent you contribute to manage this forum. My compliments on your speedy followup to requests and your insightful and courteous posts. Good job faithful servant! O0
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 am

Sounds like a good idea. We should probably note late-edited posts as such to avoid confusion. For example:
" EDITED: " or "ADDED: "
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 8:41 am
Sounds like a good idea. We should probably note late-edited posts as such to avoid confusion. For example:
" EDITED: " or "ADDED: "
I believe the forum will automatically give the date of the last edit. But yes, it would certainly be a good idea to indicate exactly what changed, and perhaps when (in the case of multiple edits).
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:02 am
Xan, thank you for the time and talent you contribute to manage this forum. My compliments on your speedy followup to requests and your insightful and courteous posts. Good job faithful servant! O0
Thanks for the kind words!
jimmiewilliams

Post by jimmiewilliams » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:33 am

Editing your own post permission will not be given by the moderator as spammers will take advantage of this.I suggest you to email the admin about the correction and they will correct it for you on your post.