Discussion Thread by An American Who Served in the Foreign Legion

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Discussion Thread by An American Who Served in the Foreign Legion

Post by Ad Orientem »

One of the more interesting threads I have run across on the internet. An American gives the straight skinny on serving in the French Foreign Legion. Yes, the FFL still exists. And yes they take all kinds including romantics looking for adventure, those who have had issues in their life and want to leave the past behind (including if you have a criminal record or on the run from the law), and people who are just looking for a job with a steady paycheck (which is not impressive btw) and the proverbial three hots and a cot.

The rational part of me says "oh hell no..." But I will admit that there is that little corner of my now 50 something old soul that thinks everyone should do something really off the hook crazy just once while they are young. I can't even begin to think of the stories this guy has.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... ed_in_the/
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Discussion Thread by An American Who Served in the Foreign Legion

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mercenary work is a time-honored profession. I can see the allure of the Legion over a national military, it seems they get out and about more often. I didn't like garrison-life, myself. I do agree with you that people need to do some interesting shit in their lives. I try to change things up pretty often, never could grok the people who can live in one place and work in one job for years on end.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

I think I would take a deep breath before labeling the FFL as a mercenary outfit. All armed forced have people who join for a paycheck. Beyond which if the Legionnaires are mercenaries they are damned poor ones. Most Legionaries won't make decent money until they make NCO which doesn't happen in the first 5 year enlistment. US military pay looks much more attractive and they make allowances for family and so on which the Legion does not.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Mercenaries are professional soldiers hired to serve in foreign armies (you could include private military companies that are hired by their own governments too). It's not a judgment, just an observation. I do agree that the US compensates its mercenaries better.