Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Kids: Then and Now

Post by Kbg » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 pm
The federal government succeeded in converting virtually all "private" colleges and universities into effectively public institutions via grants several decades ago. The only truly private universities are the handful like Hillsdale which reject government funding completely.
No the government did not, the universities did. I really get tired of this argument, just because the government sweetens the pot for something and ties strings to it, that does not equate to the government mandating it. There is a huge difference.
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by InsuranceGuy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:58 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 pm
No the government did not, the universities did. I really get tired of this argument, just because the government sweetens the pot for something and ties strings to it, that does not equate to the government mandating it. There is a huge difference.
Can you clarify this a bit? It seems to me like many public and private universities would be put out of business tomorrow were pell grants and other title IV programs ended today. That feels very publicly reliant to me.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 pm
Kind of like conditioning more generous Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement on the meaningful use of electronic medical records. When you look at the practicalities of the situation, it might has well have been mandated.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Or the way they got the drinking age raised to 21 everywhere: get states hooked on federal money for highways, then threaten to take it away.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:51 pm

I used to get served in bars when I was 16 in 1977. Those were the days! It was great!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm

My point is, unless mandated by law or regulation, you/they make the bargain they chose. A fairly good current example is many smaller universities are opting out of sports all together because of Title IX as really the only two sports that make money are men’s football and basketball...and if that isn’t the case for your college/university then the whole athletics program is funding drag.

I am not saying they aren’t reliant, but just like individuals they made the choice to not be self-reliant.

Good heavens, governments have been handing out goodies for support and to those who support them since recorded history and certainly before that. Nothing new here folks. If your political system is decent, at the end of the day it is so because it hands out goodies in such a way that people don’t start killing each other to take away goodies because the system is tolerably fair to the non-criminal elements of society. We have the legal system and state sanctioned violence for the criminal element.