foreign bank account

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

foreign bank account

Post by AdamA » Tue May 10, 2011 11:19 am

I'm interested in putting a little cash into a foreign bank account, just for the sake of diversity.  

Does anyone have any recommendations?  

Looking for a safe bank that is relatively easy for US citizens to use.
Last edited by AdamA on Tue May 10, 2011 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

Pascal
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: foreign bank account

Post by MediumTex » Tue May 10, 2011 11:20 am

I might start with a Canadian bank.

Let us know how it goes.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm » Tue May 10, 2011 1:55 pm

Bank of China has a New York branch, and you can deposit USD into a Remninbi account.  This has been becoming popular lately as a combination savings vehicle, plus a little bit of a Forex play in the sense that since the Remninbi is pegged to the dollar, as China slowly relaxes it's peg, the currency has nowhere to go but up.

http://www.bocusa.com/portal

I haven't done it myself, but it might be a good way to diversify as well as get a nice increase in value, as long as the chinese economy doesn't crash.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Depends on where you live and what banks are around, I suppose. Ideally, it would be nice to have the account in the other country. So, if anywhere close to Canada, I'd second MTs idea.

Canada has an abundance of natural resources and a very sound banking system. If you had <$10K, it would not have to be declared. And...  if you lived close enough, you could store some Maple Leaves in a safe deposit there, giving you an added measure of security. Not Eagles, BTW, since I believe that there is a provincial tax on the sale of alloyed gold in Canada, and you might want that as an option in the event of catastrophe.
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Tue May 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I got to Canada a lot...Probably the best choice. 

For those interested, there's another option that allows you to open a foreign account without traveling.  You have to use a big, international bank though.

The example I read about was HSBC.  You can call, say, HSBC's Hong Kong branch and have them fax you the paperwork to open a new account, and then go to an HSBC in the US and turn all of the paperwork in.  Still a bona fide foreign bank account, but some may not like using this type of bank.

Pascal
fnord123
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by fnord123 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Storm wrote:... as China slowly relaxes it's peg, the currency has nowhere to go but up.

http://www.bocusa.com/portal

I haven't done it myself, but it might be a good way to diversify as well as get a nice increase in value, as long as the chinese economy doesn't crash.
Note the first sentence and the last sentence contradict each other.  If China were to have a destabilizing event (e.g. revolution or civil war due to food price induced unrest or real estate collapse), it is quite likely that the Bank of China would say, "US investors? PFFT, their accounts are all now worth zero."

The conventional wisdom is indeed that the RMB only go up.  This is a strong contrarian signal that it will go down ;)
Storm
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Storm » Wed May 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Good call Fnord... as I said I haven't invested in it, but I can definitely see where you are coming.
"I came here for financial advice, but I've ended up with a bunch of shave soaps and apparently am about to start eating sardines.  Not that I'm complaining, of course." -ZedThou
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Thu May 12, 2011 1:27 am

fnord123 wrote: The conventional wisdom is indeed that the RMB only go up.  This is a strong contrarian signal that it will go down ;)
Absolutely.  You should hear the people who call into the Peter Schiff show.

"Peter, I just sold my US stocks and invested in 1/3 silver, 1/3 Chinese RMB, and 1/3 mining stocks.  What do you think the time frame is for the dollar to finally collapse?"

(That's a made up quote, but fairly representative of the average call).

I don't think these people realize the risks that they are taking.

Pascal
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t » Thu May 12, 2011 1:50 am

Adam1226 wrote:
fnord123 wrote: The conventional wisdom is indeed that the RMB only go up.  This is a strong contrarian signal that it will go down ;)
Absolutely.  You should hear the people who call into the Peter Schiff show.

"Peter, I just sold my US stocks and invested in 1/3 silver, 1/3 Chinese RMB, and 1/3 mining stocks.  What do you think the time frame is for the dollar to finally collapse?"

(That's a made up quote, but fairly representative of the average call).

I don't think these people realize the risks that they are taking.

LOL!

we need a "like button"
smurff
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by smurff » Thu May 12, 2011 3:44 am

Adam1226 wrote: For those interested, there's another option that allows you to open a foreign account without traveling.   You have to use a big, international bank though.

The example I read about was HSBC.  You can call, say, HSBC's Hong Kong branch and have them fax you the paperwork to open a new account, and then go to an HSBC in the US and turn all of the paperwork in.  Still a bona fide foreign bank account, but some may not like using this type of bank.
HSBC has what they call a Premier Relationship account.  If you're willing to start out with $100K across different accounts (brokerage, checking, CD, savings, etc.--or all in just one account), you can open an account at a branch in the USA.  As a Premier customer, you can then open accounts in any location in the world where HSBC has branches.  And you can manage them--make transfers into and out of accounts--over the Internet.  It's all under one bank's umbrella, no "correspondent" relationship or currency exchange fees.  There are a lot of other benefits, too, but if I say more it will sound like an advertisement. ::)