libra office brain freeze

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

libra office brain freeze

Post by l82start »

apparently somewhere during the months of not checking my portfolio, Libra office/yahoo finance has changed the "getyahoo" functions again, and it has been so long since i have done it i no longer remember how or where to find the table data for scraping a quote. it looks like yahoo is completely dysfunctional even the sample spread sheet for my new "SMF Extension for LibreOffice Calc (Forked Version) 0.90.33" won't work, so i am trying to switch to GETMORNINGKEY(Ticker,Datacode) or one of the other supported GETMORNINGFIN(Ticker,Datacode) formats. is anybody using this and if so can you help me figure it out?

thanks
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: libra office brain freeze

Post by l82start »

a little more info about where my brain has stalled. Libra works much like any other spread sheet, the (Ticker,Datacode) requires a ticker (SHY for example) and the (data code) requires a number that corresponds to the cell that the data appears in on the website, i can use an inspect element function in my browser to find the data-code number but i cant seem to find a web page that actually has information presented in a cell? i can find current price for a stock, etf or fund on morning star no problem, but i cant find any cell numbers associated with it... my amateur spread sheet skills and probably my memory of how to put this together are failing me... i may even be missing an important step in here? or ???

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

so it seems i have this thread all to my self... no other libra office users tracking a pp?? :(

so i never figured how to make GETYAHOO or GETMORNINGSTAR to work for me but i did come up with a workaround =GETHISTORICALQUOTE("ticker symbol","=NOW()-1") to work, it means my spread sheet is using yesterdays close instead of current price but it is good enough for now (or good enough for yesterday :o ) i guess..

Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler »

Just wanted to note that I'm reading along, but have nothing helpful to offer. I've seen enough similar questions that I think many of the automatic fetching functions have been broken more at the data provider side rather than the spreadsheet side. So it's more a matter of finding a good source.