The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:59 pm

You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:59 pm
Fat Studies Professors Worry Pandemic May Increase 'Fatphobia' - via Tim Pool, of course.

LOL
I listened to the whole thing. Fat studies. ??? On Wednesday, Nova had a program on fat, and how it is vital to life. They showed a guy who, from the age of 6, has not been able to retain fat except behind his eyeballs. His face is sunken, and he said walking feels like pins and needles are going into his feet because he has no padding.

On the other end of it, there are people who eat what everyone else eats and they blow up. They exercise, and their resting rate of weight loss slows down, because their bodies are engineered to not lose weight. That's a scientific fact.

At the same time, this "health at any size" trend is...no.

Tim should get rid of his skating buddy co-hosts. They're annoying and don't add anything to the conversation. I guess that's why I like the podcasts, where it's just him.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:01 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:23 pm
Tim should get rid of his skating buddy co-hosts. They're annoying and don't add anything to the conversation. I guess that's why I like the podcasts, where it's just him.
I tend to agree. I think it would be great if his producer would stop chiming in all the time unless she's going to add some kind of long comment or look something up for them (like the guy does on Joe Rogan's). His friend is a good foil because he doesn't know about stuff, so Tim ends up explaining/riffing a lot. Sometimes his input is entertaining. I hope they get better at not interrupting each other and cluttering up the audio so much.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm

Oh my god...is Fat Studies really a thing? Ridiculous!!!!

Looked at the right way.....this is all the grandaddy of all unintended consequences - of George McGovern's creation of national dietary guidelines based on the misguided notion that decreasing fat and increasing carbohydrates is the Solution to Everything. People did much better before those guidelines came along. The obesity epidemic took off just after they were implemented. Which is when manufacturers started making processed food with the fat taken out, and sugar added to give flavor. Correlation not causality, true, but it's a pretty interesting parallel.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:22 pm

sophie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:13 pm
Oh my god...is Fat Studies really a thing? Ridiculous!!!!

Looked at the right way.....this is all the grandaddy of all unintended consequences - of George McGovern's creation of national dietary guidelines based on the misguided notion that decreasing fat and increasing carbohydrates is the Solution to Everything. People did much better before those guidelines came along. The obesity epidemic took off just after they were implemented. Which is when manufacturers started making processed food with the fat taken out, and sugar added to give flavor. Correlation not causality, true, but it's a pretty interesting parallel.
We have also had an enormous hidden addition to our diet that may be responsible for some of the ills we are encountering: glyphosate. According to Stephanie Seneff, that molecule is incorporated in proteins in place of glycine and causes no end of biological damage: http://www.tonu.org/2016/11/05/glyphosate-glycine/.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Roundup, yeah. Pretty much all grains are grown with the stuff. And it kills me when I see people putting it on their lawns.

Another change pushed by the USDA: industrial vegetable oils (canola, safflower, sunflower, soybean). Be not fooled, these are not healthy. There's evidence that these potentiate cancers (in lab animals) and contribute directly to weight gain.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:09 pm

sophie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:53 pm
Roundup, yeah. Pretty much all grains are grown with the stuff. And it kills me when I see people putting it on their lawns.

Another change pushed by the USDA: industrial vegetable oils (canola, safflower, sunflower, soybean). Be not fooled, these are not healthy. There's evidence that these potentiate cancers (in lab animals) and contribute directly to weight gain.
We eat organic as much as we can. That's about the only way to avoid most glyphosate exposure.
We also avoid those oils. Avocado oil, organic butter (ghee), and organic olive oil are about it for us.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:51 am

sophie wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:53 pm

Roundup (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ro ... and-health) is a total kill herbicide if used widespread on a lawn. Could you perhaps be seeing people apply 2,4-D (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2,4-Dichl ... cetic_acid) products all over their lawn to kill broadleaf plants such as dandelions? Just curious.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 pm

Two doctors suffering from acute TDS steal neighbor's MAGA flag in Florida as their child begs them to stop. The actual Ring video is actually pretty sad when you see the little kid run around tugging on his parents shirts. It's how I imagine the scene plays out in drug addicts' houses.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:13 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 pm
Two doctors suffering from acute TDS steal neighbor's MAGA flag in Florida as their child begs them to stop. The actual Ring video is actually pretty sad when you see the little kid run around tugging on his parents shirts. It's how I imagine the scene plays out in drug addicts' houses.
I watched it. What immediately came to mind is that they suffer from something far more basic - intolerance. It's not impossible that if you could put them in Germany in the 1930s that they would then have become those "good" Germans who did things which to this day many of us find difficult to understand.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Why would you blanket statement that they're intolerant in general? Nothing in there said they were intolerant of black people. Or Jews. Just Trump supporters.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:23 pm
Why would you blanket statement that they're intolerant in general? Nothing in there said they were intolerant of black people. Or Jews. Just Trump supporters.
I was not making a blanket statement that they are intolerant of all others in all situations. Just saying that the type who are so intolerant of someone's views to then follow it up with what they did fits in with the "good German" personality type.

Since the 1990s there have been these "Bleacher Creatures" in the right field bleachers of Yankee Stadium. At the start of every game they'd chant the name of every Yankees player on the field and each player would wave in their direction.

Everyone thought these "bleacher creatures" were so cute.

As did I. Until I started sitting amongst them. I was not doing so because I wanted to be one of them. I was because their spot for congregating was also where I wanted to sit.

Then one day when I was observing their behavior, which was expressing their extreme displeasure that other fans were choosing to participate in "The Wave", all of a sudden I had an epiphany!

I was sitting amongst the "good Germans"! It was their way or no way! Individually I'm sure that most of these Bleacher Creatures were the same as you and I. But now that they were collectively together a great majority of them were behaving in an intolerant way.

Transport them back to Germany in the 1930s and, voila, and under the influences of all that was going on there then, they could have become those "good Germans". Just ordinary people like you and I but from their behavior that day I could easily see becoming "good Germans".

Getting back to our two doctors. To behave in such an intolerant manner speaks of being an intolerant person. It's not enough that I disagree with you. I have to take away your right to disagree with me. Or, do my best to attempt to do so.

Do you think that the behavior they exhibited is the ONLY time when they are intolerant people? Only when it involves Trump supporters? Intolerant people are intolerant people. Of course there are degrees but you'd have to do a lot explaining to me to get me to believe that this is the only aspect of their lives when they are intolerant, i.e., when it involves Trump supporters.

We might both agree that they modeled exceptionally poor behavior in front of their two children.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:47 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:06 pm
Tim
It's like these people have been taken over by brain worms
O0
They're lucky they only got arrested, and not shot.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:51 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://9gag.com/gag/an5A1Pz
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:45 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:56 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:51 pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://9gag.com/gag/an5A1Pz
And this is the person they think can beat Trump? LOL.
Saw this years and years ago when it first happened. Biden is just disgusting on so many levels.

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:05 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:58 pm
You guys know I am voting for Trump in Nov, but don't you think it is at least possible Biden was just whispering something in her ear and not intentionally being creepy? I know he has a history, but some of this could be innocent.
Yes. Before #metoo, people were a lot more touchy and manhandley, and not just with girls. I was never abused or anything, but I don't like to be touched unless it's a handshake or a slap on the back. I think it's just because I'm ticklish. But because of that, I am sensitive to things like old guys behind me on the sidewalk who try to gently push me aside instead of saying excuse me or even tapping me on the shoulder. They have grabbed my very ticklish (torso) side.

It happened once when I was walking with an older friend who thought it was no big deal. I really think that this is partly a generational thing, though not universally so. And Biden used to be pretty handsome in his youth, so maybe he has deluded himself, thinking that any girl or woman who smiles at him is giving him a green light to get up close and personal.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 pm

MangoMan wrote:
You guys know I am voting for Trump in Nov, but don't you think it is at least possible Biden was just whispering something in her ear and not intentionally being creepy? I know he has a history, but some of this could be innocent.
Absolutely not!

https://youtu.be/sBCZtz0MYDQ

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:36 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Absolutely not!

Vinny
With the #metoo movement active, I can't see how he can possibly win even if everything else were similar between him and Trump.
The hardcore Democrat is going to put all that aside.

Vinny
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:11 pm

Hardcore Democrats can be willing to do some pretty remarkable things for their leaders:
In 1998, Nina Burleigh, Time magazine's former White House correspondent, put it as succinctly as anyone ever has as she defended Bill Clinton from charges of sexual harassment. "I would be happy to give him a blowjob just to thank him for keeping abortion legal," Burleigh said. "I think American women should be lining up with their Presidential kneepads on to show their gratitude for keeping the theocracy off our backs."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:33 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:24 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:51 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:36 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:16 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Absolutely not!

Vinny
With the #metoo movement active, I can't see how he can possibly win even if everything else were similar between him and Trump.
The hardcore Democrat is going to put all that aside.

Vinny
Yes, and that is about 25% of the population.
Almost everyone else is going to vote Republican.
This may be the biggest landslide in history.

Not if this holds:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump ... 2020-04-14

Opinion: Trump is odd man out as approval ratings soar for world leaders’ handling of the coronavirus pandemic

"Yet such approval has eluded President Trump. Two poll of polls — Real Clear Politics and FiveThirtyEight — show his overall approval at 45.2% and 44.3%, respectively, right about where they were before the you-know-what hit the fan earlier this year."

"As of Monday (April 13), however, Trump’s approval has slid nine points to 43%, while his disapproval has jumped nine points to 56%. That’s an 18-point swing against the president in about six weeks."

Vinny
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:47 pm

Just wait until the economic effects of the state lockdowns really start to ripple through the country and anti-China sentiment continues to build among the American public as decoupling becomes inevitable.

Trump’s victory in November isn’t assured since almost nothing is 100% certain, but yeah... I’m putting my bet on landslide.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am

As an asian person I do fear anti-china and anti-chinese sentiment quite a lot.

I am thankful that I live in Canada where I don't expect that kind of racism to be as egregious even in the worst case. Still though...
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:49 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am

I am thankful that I live in Canada where I don't expect that kind of racism to be as egregious even in the worst case. Still though...
It looks like anti-China sentiment and decoupling may start to grow in many Western countries, not just the U.S. It's been building for a while, and I think the Covid-19 debacle may have just sealed the deal.

I hope that any anti-China sentiment is directed mainly where it belongs: at China's government, not at Chinese people. At least half of my coworkers are Chinese nationals, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of years.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:16 am

Tortoise wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:49 am
Smith1776 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am

It looks like anti-China sentiment and decoupling may start to grow in many Western countries, not just the U.S. It's been building for a while, and I think the Covid-19 debacle may have just sealed the deal.

I hope that any anti-China sentiment is directed mainly where it belongs: at China's government, not at Chinese people. At least half of my coworkers are Chinese nationals, so it will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple of years.
That fits with my business world experience. I interacted with several Russians just after the Soviet Union breakup. They were very gracious and professional, pretty much like Americans. It's the governments that muck things up via propaganda and political maneuvering.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:07 am

I’m concerned about it, too. My wife said she’s ready for it every time she goes out the door (which admittedly isn’t very often right now).