Best place to cash in Bitcoin for USD?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:12 am

Like Dudditz imbuing his friends and rescuers with special powers in that Stephen King book, Marc came along several years ago and blessed a bunch of us with a bit of bitcoin. I want to unload it today. Does anyone have experience with this?

I'd really like to get cash instead of something like Amazon giftcards, b/c I want to at least treat some friends to pizza with it.

Found kraken dot com at reddit via google, but I also found some complaints about it that are as recent as August. Do you use it?

Please help me solve this 100% first world problem, bitcoin people.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Best place to cash in Bitcoin for USD?

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:16 pm

I've been happy with Coinbase to sell bitcoin in the past (at prices far lower than those today... ugh).

You'll have to connect a bank account, they won't just mail you an envelope with cash. :) I'm not sure if the connecting process can be completed in the same day, but perhaps they'd let you sell first and transfer later.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks!
I'm not in a big hurry to receive my cash, as I'll be traveling for Thanksgiving. I'm hoping I can just have something deposited in my bank.
MWKXJ

Post by MWKXJ » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:51 am

Circle.com used to be the most hassle free, but I believe Coinbase bought them out and they no longer buy. If you have Gemini.com available in your state you may want to give them a try. If you do go with Coinbase, create a corresponding GDAX account and learn how to become a "market maker". You'll save a ton in fees when selling.

Pro tips:

Keep at least half; don't sell everything at once.

Don't tell your wife 1) you have bitcoin, 2) how many bitcoin you have, and 3) what you sold them for. Failed on all thee counts, sold the 32 I'd bought for $20 for $17 apiece, and my wife never fails to remind me.

Keep your Bitcoin off exchanges. Put only what you plan to sell on the exchange to avoid a MtGox moment.

If you do plan to market time your sales, use Bitcoinwisdom to track the price trend of Bitcoin. Set the scale to logarithmic rather than linear and play with the scale. 3-day RSI seems interesting.

Use Bitcoin.tax to keep Uncle Sam happy. With a little luck you're below the 25% tax bracket and you've held longer than a year.

For relentless shilling and occasionally-useful predictions and analysis, see BitcoinMarkets. For example, here's a fun projection based on unsustainable growth trends: Daily Moon Math.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:34 pm

BC has gone totally parabolic. It has moved from 8000 to 8775 in just one week. What was it's value when Marc gave out that gift in Nov. of 2013?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Don wrote:BC has gone totally parabolic. It has moved from 8000 to 8775 in just one week. What was it's value when Marc gave out that gift in Nov. of 2013?
SELL
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:06 pm

ochotona wrote:
Don wrote:BC has gone totally parabolic. It has moved from 8000 to 8775 in just one week. What was it's value when Marc gave out that gift in Nov. of 2013?
SELL
Haha. It's not easy to sell. I've tried to.
gizmo_rat
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by gizmo_rat » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:56 am

Cullen Roche wrote a nice piece on bitcoin yesterday, also has lots of other ideas that resonate with HBs. I kind of like the idea of the addition of a dumbass portfolio to the PP/VP mix.
...with such a new technology everyone is essentially a dumbass and the most dangerous dumbasses are often the dumbasses who claim they aren’t actually a dumbass
https://www.pragcap.com/manage-asset-pr ... e-bitcoin/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:58 am

O0 I suppose it falls under the same category as having a sense of humor about oneself, but with direr consequences.
eufo
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by eufo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:11 am

gizmo_rat wrote:Cullen Roche wrote a nice piece on bitcoin yesterday, also has lots of other ideas that resonate with HBs. I kind of like the idea of the addition of a dumbass portfolio to the PP/VP mix.
...with such a new technology everyone is essentially a dumbass and the most dangerous dumbasses are often the dumbasses who claim they aren’t actually a dumbass
https://www.pragcap.com/manage-asset-pr ... e-bitcoin/
Ha! That's a funny link!
Don't agree with me too strongly or I'm going to change my mind
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 am

Bitcoin is right up there with the Dutch tulip bulb mania of the mid-1600s. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Bitcoin is right up there with the Dutch tulip bulb mania of the mid-1600s. ;)
Didn't Marc give you a bitcoin too?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Don wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Bitcoin is right up there with the Dutch tulip bulb mania of the mid-1600s. ;)
Didn't Marc give you a bitcoin too?
I'm no fortunate son, but I did see a bad moon rising down on the corner where it came out of the sky next to Susie Q.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:05 pm

Here's my experience so far:

kraken's verification mechanism is down. But, I think I gave them my social to find out.

cex wants much more now that they have my social and driver's license info. They want a utility bill and a photo of my license, AND a selfie of me holding my license. Jesus. Starting to feel like a dunce here, but I'd really like to unload my coin.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:35 pm

Did you not try coinbase.com yet?

From what I understand they are the easiest.

I also read that Bitflyer https://bitflyer.jp/en-us/?top_link operating in the US now.

Never done any of it myself though. These sites sure remind me of those blatant internet pyramid schemes in the early 2000's
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:Did you not try coinbase.com yet?

From what I understand they are the easiest./quote]

I haven't, only because a trusted friend wrote
coinbase exchange rates are one step away from plain and simple robbery
At this point, I'm not worried about fees or exchange rates. But, I've already given some info to two places now. If one of them doesn't work out, I'm not going to try a third, I think. Glad I never put any money into this, but it may cost me dearly in the end.
Man, I miss buying gold. O0 I just drop a check in the mailbox down the street.

Bitcoin is often used in the same breath as anonymous. So when do I get to the anonymous part?