Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Catalonia

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Is it just me, or does any news related to the vote today just seem totally unimportant to US news outlets? You'd think this should rise above the latest Trump tweets in importance? Why is that?
-------------------

Catalan leader Carles Puigdemont says the Spanish region has won the right to statehood following a contentious referendum that was marred by violence.
He said the door had been opened to a unilateral declaration of independence.
Catalan officials later said 90% of those who voted backed independence in Sunday's vote. The turnout was 42.3%.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41463719

Still only the 5th highest news story on Google News, and up until now, had to scroll down a couple pages to see anything on it.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Catalonia

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:29 pm

Without Catalonia, Spanish sovereign debt becomes more risky, loses value. Their Debt-to-GDP ratio goes up. My guess is this story is being actively suppressed most probably by the financial elites and the EU.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Seem reasonable.
----------------------
Of course, gold apparently could not care less about what's going on, continuing to drop to nearer to your 1260!

What a screwy world we live in.
LazyInvestor
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by LazyInvestor » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:37 am

Cortopassi wrote:Seem reasonable.
----------------------
Of course, gold apparently could not care less about what's going on, continuing to drop to nearer to your 1260!

What a screwy world we live in.
Gold is not supposed to care here. Pay attention to USD in the cases of international geopolitical issues. (Gold cares only about the confidence in USD according to HB. That's why I'm skeptical about any non-US PP. This is a nice example.)
WhiteElephant
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by WhiteElephant » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:13 pm

ochotona wrote:Without Catalonia, Spanish sovereign debt becomes more risky, loses value. Their Debt-to-GDP ratio goes up. My guess is this story is being actively suppressed most probably by the financial elites and the EU.
It's all over the news in all major European countries as far as I can tell. Nothing is being suppressed. Only a matter of time before Catalonia will be independant. The idea of nations and nation states, 200 years and counting...

Will be interesting to see how Spanish and other Euro bonds will behave.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:04 pm

Our wonderful Vegas news will be blanking the rest of the world out for a while is my guess