Young people can't operate a radio

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Young people can't operate a radio

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Xan wrote:In general, I'm pretty high on the reliability of USB flash drives, if it's enough capacity for you. I'm actually pretty low on using a traditional hard disk (as opposed to a solid-state disk), because they introduce an entire class of potential mechanical problems.

I would also strongly recommend off-site-ness as a key component of your backup strategy. Maybe have a couple of USB flash drives, encrypted, and cycle them through a safe deposit box. Encrypt your files and put them on the cloud every so often. (Make sure it's good encryption.)
Copies kept at home should be in a fire safe rated for media preservation.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:52 am

Folks,

Thanks. Some good stuff.

I will begin investigating as soon as the weekend obligations are over. There might be a surprise or two yet to be discovered.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Desert wrote:
Maddy wrote:. . . And old people can't operate Facebook.
:) Yep.
+2

And people in my generation didn't know how to crank start a car or shoe a horse. So what? It's called progress (not to be confused with "progressive" politics - or at least hopefully not).
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:02 am

If I were doing my own home data backup, I'd make a second backup of stuff I would hate to lose on Amazon Glacier. As it is, I just use Dropbox. It's essentially regular Amazon with a premium price for the syncing/sharing software, which is completely worth it to me. With all my research collaborations & lab, I'd be lost without it.

I once read an article comparing the costs of Amazon or similar cloud storage to the total costs (including electricity & hardware replacement) of running a live home backup system with NAS drives. The cloud came out cheaper. And the problem with DVD and USB is that you have to remember to backup frequently, and you probably don't do it often enough.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:42 am

I'm out of touch with Windows, but Mac's Time Machine makes one-touch back up possible, and I hit the button several times a week (can also be set to auto). My backups are on a traditional hard drive, which will fail, but at 1 terabyte for US$50, I can have more than one.

Also, older folks: don't fall into the trap of thinking that an external drive or USB key is a backup if you took the original data off of your computer. Keep more than one copy!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 am

WiseOne wrote:If I were doing my own home data backup, I'd make a second backup of stuff I would hate to lose on Amazon Glacier. As it is, I just use Dropbox. It's essentially regular Amazon with a premium price for the syncing/sharing software, which is completely worth it to me. With all my research collaborations & lab, I'd be lost without it.

I once read an article comparing the costs of Amazon or similar cloud storage to the total costs (including electricity & hardware replacement) of running a live home backup system with NAS drives. The cloud came out cheaper. And the problem with DVD and USB is that you have to remember to backup frequently, and you probably don't do it often enough.
And the extra benefit of storing your backups in the cloud is that the NSA can help you out if necessary.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 am

Well, it seems that old people can't operate microwaves, either.

I've been using a borrowed microwave for the last several of weeks due to an injury that's made it hard to get around. Last night, I made my usual cup of tea by microwaving a ceramic mug full of water for 130 seconds--just as I have done on at least 50 prior occasions over the last few weeks. Exact same mug, exact same microwave, exact same time setting. Anyway, when the beeper went off, I reached into the microwave and grabbed the handle of the mug, which is normally cool to the touch, and promptly received a whopper of a burn to the inside of my third finger. Strangely, the water inside the mug was only warm, but the mug itself was so hot it required a pot holder to handle. WTF?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 am

That has happened to me occasionally with my cherished old Correlle mug. Be careful!
RIP Marcello Gandini
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:36 am

Libertarian666 wrote:And the extra benefit of storing your backups in the cloud is that the NSA can help you out if necessary.
Exactly my reaction.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:38 am

dualstow wrote:That has happened to me occasionally with my cherished old Correlle mug. Be careful!
For God's sake, don't send the social workers!
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:39 am

One thing the Snowden revelations did confirm is that encryption works. Encrypt it on your end, with a good, modern, trusted algorithm (and don't use the service's encryption) and you'll be fine.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:40 am

I use Veracrypt. Works great. I couldn't get my dad into it, so I bought him the same USB key with a numeric keypad that I told craigr about and which he ended up buying. (Apricorn Aegis)

Xan: the WSJ mentions this morning quantum computers that will be able to crack encryption on "classical" computers. I guess we have a few years though. (?)
Maddy wrote:
dualstow wrote:That has happened to me occasionally with my cherished old Correlle mug. Be careful!
O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 am

hmm, good point. I suppose you can't guarantee that it won't be crackable in the future. Unless you encrypt with a one-time pad, of course, which is unbreakable even in theory.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:44 am

Xan wrote:hmm, good point. I suppose you can't guarantee that it won't be crackable in the future. Unless you encrypt with a one-time pad, of course, which is unbreakable even in theory.
I'm off to wikipedia...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-time_pad
Because for me, it's something I buy for my wife about every 3 1/2 weeks at the drugstore.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:59 am

The NSA is welcome to enjoy my photo collection and the science-geek papers, grants and figures.

I have Veracrypt and should probably use it for sensitive stuff like tax records, but what's the point? My SSN and other personal data have been circulating around the nether regions of the world for years, and I'm sure there have been many more breaches than the 4 or 5 I've been told about. A hacker who can get past Dropbox's and Amazon's security layers almost certainly has all my personal data already. Like it or not, there is no such thing as online privacy, and you can't do anything about the fact that all your data are online. Credit freezing & monitoring is about as good as it gets.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:57 am

WiseOne wrote:The NSA is welcome to enjoy my photo collection and the science-geek papers, grants and figures.

I have Veracrypt and should probably use it for sensitive stuff like tax records, but what's the point? My SSN and other personal data have been circulating around the nether regions of the world for years
True, but Veracrypt is not for your SSN. It's for protecting your tell-all memoir until it's posthumously published.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm

For anybody who's interested, a little nosing around the internet landed me on a site that explained the phenomenon of ceramic mugs suddenly becoming dangerously hot in the microwave. It seems that microwave energy affects only certain kinds of molecules, one of which is water. Ordinarily, dishware stays cool, or becomes only moderately hot as a result of heat transfer from the food being heated, because the material of which it is composed does not absorb microwave energy. But occasionally moisture enters a ceramic piece through a small crack or from repeated wear in the dishwasher, and when the piece is subjected to microwave energy, it "cooks." This, apparently, accounts for the vast majority of instances in which a piece of dishware that has been used for years in the microwave without any problem suddenly becomes branding-iron hot.

Live and learn.
Last edited by Maddy on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Interesting.
RIP Marcello Gandini
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm

Interesting Maddy!

Microwaves are the most annoying useful item ever. I will have to remember that about ceramic mugs.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 pm

dualstow wrote:I use Veracrypt. Works great. I couldn't get my dad into it, so I bought him the same USB key with a numeric keypad that I told craigr about and which he ended up buying. (Apricorn Aegis)

Xan: the WSJ mentions this morning quantum computers that will be able to crack encryption on "classical" computers. I guess we have a few years though. (?)
Maddy wrote:
O0
Microsoft is spending a lot of money on developing quantum computers.

Of course that doesn't mean that they will succeed, but it won't be due to lack of trying.

Needless to say, they have other uses than just for decryption.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:09 am

Update on my possible defective DVD-Rs.

Appears it's the DVD player. The blasted things kicks out store-bought Casablanca and Scent of A Woman with the same enthusiasm toward my home-burned DVD-Rs. I'll toss the villainous DVD player and hook up one of the remaining two. This may be easy. I will report back soon.
bedraggled
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by bedraggled » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:01 am

Reporting back.

My home-burned DVD-Rs are performing flawlessly on another DVD player.

Since my home-burned discs are more than 10 Years old, should I recopy them all from the master copies. Does their sitting for a decade push my good luck?

Thanks.