Google Finance rewrite

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Google Finance rewrite

Post by Mr Vacuum »

Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio.
I mentioned this in the Google Docs thread, and there it is. The above death notice is currently displayed on my portfolio page. Too bad. I didn't use all the features to track transactions and import/export, but it's been solid for the home page quick glance, link to each symbol for charting, and link to portfolio for charting the past year.

Maybe it's a good thing for those of us who check every day and should stop.
rovdjur

Re: Google Finance rewrite

Post by rovdjur »

I saw this too and was dismayed. I've been using this to track my variable portfolio for years now. What are other folks using to track holdings and returns?
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum »

Other than Google finance for quick glances, only a spreadsheet tab with manual tracking of inflows, outflows, and the current balance. Using the XIRR function, I get the return for YTD and past years, no fine grained snapshots or charting. It's annoying enough to import the balance that I don't do it all the time.

Now I see stockcharts.com is loading up on ads, so I'll probably stop looking at perfcharts, too.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Mr Vacuum wrote:
Google Finance is under renovation.
I mentioned this in the Google Docs thread, and there it is.
You scared me there for a minute. Actually, I'm still scared. So you mentioned this in the Docs thread, but it's just about Google Finance...right? I mean, will we still be able to use google sheets, a part of google drive, to view our portfolios?

I still look every day, and I used it to track the indy stock portfolios of relatives.
I wound up at this thread because it was a little off today- a glitch made it look like stocks were up more than 1000%, just today, even though the prices were correct or at least reasonable looking. It was

Code: Select all

=GoogleFinance(A13,"changepct")
// where A13 is a cell containing a stock symbol
that was messed up.

As I was typing this, the problem corrected itself, but now I'm wondering if google sheets is also moribund. Hope not.
(checking this out now... https://www.popsci.com/google-drive-cha ... op-clients )

< Sigh of relief>
You will still be able to open your web browser and access your data through the Drive website. Similarly, the mobile apps for Android and iOS will look just the same.
So if all these things stay stable, what's all the fuss about? What's changing are the applications for accessing Drive through a computer desktop, be it Windows or macOS.
from the link above.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
Mr Vacuum
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mr Vacuum »

dualstow wrote:
Mr Vacuum wrote:
Google Finance is under renovation.
I mentioned this in the Google Docs thread, and there it is.
You scared me there for a minute. Actually, I'm still scared. So you mentioned this in the Docs thread, but it's just about Google Finance...right? I mean, will we still be able to use google sheets, a part of google drive, to view our portfolios?

I still look every day, and I used it to track the indy stock portfolios of relatives.
Yes, it's just about Google Finance, and specifically the Portfolios feature in which a group of symbols are tracked in specific dollar amounts with specific transactions over time. It was an excellent feature. Without it, I imagine I will not use Google Finance any longer.

Anyway, Google Sheets isn't going anywhere and pulling prices from Google Finance will still work.