Moderator: Global Moderator

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: IRMA

Post by Cortopassi »

I live in IL, a mile from Pug!

I went to Champaign, but my oldest daughter's 1st choice (sr. in HS) is Notre Dame, so I may have to change my logo on Dec 15th...

And where we live is definitely not a shithole, although I understand why people outside IL may think that given news from Chicago and IL state government.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

Just got back home after evacuating.

Our neighborhood in Pinellas county was completely untouched and the power is still on. Pretty amazing because there was damage all around and lots of people are without electricity and water. Biggest worry was the refilling of Tampa Bay after it emptied (an amazing sight - people were walking across it). I live only about a mile and a half away. Fortunately, it re-filled at low tide so there wasn't much of a surge.

It was the same with where we were staying farther inland. Damage all around but not where we were. I actually slept through the worse part of it but my wife and her friend were praying the rosary the whole time.

I think I will always remember this one as the 12 day hurricane because that' how long I was tracking it. One day they were forecasting the best case scenario and the next day the worse. Turned out to be close to the best but it was a pretty stressful experience.

And no, I don't think it was over-hyped. Just ask the folks in the Caribbean.

Now it's back to getting ready for Australia. At least we're half-packed already.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I was watching WBBH TV all weekend, I've lived through two hurricanes this year, Harvey in person, and Irma by remote. I think I need to tweak my bug-out bag strategy.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

BP's Westlake One building, where I started my oil exploration career 31 years ago, was flooded and is closed until early 2018. Thousands are working from home.

The 15th floor was the Macondo / Deepwater Horizon incident response center. Maybe it's all Poseidon gaining his revenge!

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busines ... 199318.php
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

The sum total of our damage from Hurricane Irma. 5 bags of debris and a piece of fence I wanted to take down any way. Seeing what devastation it wrought even farther north in cities like Jacksonville I feel very lucky but my wife chalks it up to praying the rosary. Apparently she prays it better than other folks, but whatever floats your boat.

Interesting that those stones at the neighbors house got blown out like that. No idea what caused that because I didn't even lose any mulch in the mulch beds.