Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Hillary's new book: "It Was My Turn"

Post by Maddy »

Simonjester wrote:
Kriegsspiel wrote: The way I see it, a libertarian stance on the NFL protests would be that they can do whatever they want, as long as they aren't hurting someone or taking their stuff. An authoritarian would be angry that they're defying a norm and being rebellious, and would demand that they get back in line. The "lock up Hillary" comment wasn't a good example, looking back on it now.
i think there would be an acknowledgement of the difference between what a citizen can do on their own time and what an employee can do on company time in the libertarian perspective, it doesn't seem anti libertarian in any way to me for a businessman to take the POV that the employer can set the rules which employment are contingent on, and that creating a rule against behaviors that hurt the brand and the bottom line are needed.. if trump came out in favor of a law against anyone taking a knee at any place the anthem is played = authoritarian.. but i don't get that from the statements he made, it seemed more like the above mentioned businessman perspective to me.
Obviously, Trump cannot fire these players. He cannot direct anyone to fire these players. Accordingly his comment could not be construed--and could never be construed--as anything more than a personal opinion directed to what the team owners should do. So I'm left shaking my head about how the term "authoritarian" applies--no matter how you define it. Is an employer "authoritarian" for demanding that an employee refrain from behaving in a manner that insults customers? For disparaging the business to the point where losses begin accruing? Perhaps so in the minds of those who regard individual liberties as meant only for them, but if that's the working definition of "authoritarianism," we've gone past the point where discussion makes any sense.