Charlottesville

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Charlottesville

Post by drumminj »

stuper1 wrote:I also have no love for a blowhard like Trump. But I do have sympathy for the masses of "little people" who supported him because they no longer can get a good job in this country, in large part due to insane immigration policies over the last few decades. So, another reason to support Trump is to hopefully give a continued voice to those people and to oppose big-business-corporate-media which seems to be trying to bring Trump down by any means possible.
It struck me the other day how quick people are to try to vilify, demean, and undermine President Trump, and in the process are totally willing to completely disenfranchise the plurality of the voters who voted for Trump and his policies.

I can respect someone who says "I disagree with his positions, and would have preferred another candidate". I can respect someone who disagrees with opinions, decisions, and policies of the sitting president (or any other elected politician). But people seem to so blatantly dismiss and ignore the electorate who legitimately chose our sitting president because the dislike the person...to me that is incredibly disrespectful of one's countrymen.

(for the record, I'm one of the "little people" who voted for Trump, even though I'm solidly upper-middle class. If anything, I'm thankful for this outcome as it's made the character of the people around me -- at work, in social circles, etc -- very clear, and encouraging me to sever ties)
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj »

Desert wrote:I think it was the Trump voters (particularly in the primary), that disrespected their fellow Americans.
I'll be honest -- I have mixed feelings about responding to this, as to me it at worst looks like bait, at best is demeaning others you disagree with. I will respond to this post, but I do hope that more respect (and less condescension) will be present in future responses or I do not desire to engage further.

I will speak for myself -- I voted for the candidate whom I thought was the best choice for the country. If you want to take that as disrespectful, that's your right, but I would suggest that's quite a dismissive position. I assure you I'm not un-educated, swayed by blind patriotism, or "dey took err jerbs!".
Desert wrote: Anyone that was paying attention even a little could see what sort of train wreck this man is. And yet they voted for him anyway. How was voting in a man of such obviously low character, anything but disrespectful to the rest of the country?
This is something I'd suggest is worth pondering. Again, I can't speak for anyone else. I'm 38 years old, have an engineering degree from one of the top five CS schools in the country, am solidly upper-middle class, have a stable, long-term relationship with another white-collar professional, donate time and substantial sums of money to local charities, have good, lasting relationships with my neighbors even years after I move away. I state these facts simply to illustrate I'm not your typical "deplorable".

Do you believe myself (and people like me) voted out of spite? Or just aren't as smart as you and folks like you, and can't be trusted to vote? Is your position here truly that my vote was "disrespectful" even though I voted for whom I truly believe best represents my interests and the best interests of the country, of the choices available to me? (and note I did vote in the primary, so I'm not complaining about only having 'two' options)
Desert wrote: And regarding disagreeing with Trump's positions ... the truth is he has no positions. They change daily.
He ran on a platform, as do all politicians. And like all politicians, the platform meant squat when they got into office. No different from the previous president, or the president before him (I'm too young to remember exactly what platform Clinton ran on back in the day)
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 »

You can't make this stuff up....

An Asian announcer gets pulled from a broadcast because his name is Robert Lee....

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/20 ... -name.html