Charlottesville

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Charlottesville

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:35 pm

Mountaineer wrote: In my opinion, it is better to quote a whole post, including all the sub posts even if it gets messy,

I can't stand that quote bloat myself. I understand why people do it if they're on a phone. In fact, right now I'm on an iPad, with no forward arrow and shitty selection capabilities. I spend a lot of time deleting extraneous stuff and moving the stubborn cursor. Can't make anyone else do it, but for me it's worth it. O0

And how hard is it to type:

Code: Select all

[quote="Mountaineer"]
??

I have my ipad set to expand qt to the close quote tag.
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: In my opinion, it is better to quote a whole post, including all the sub posts even if it gets messy,

I can't stand that quote bloat myself. I understand why people do it if they're on a phone. In fact, right now I'm on an iPad, with no forward arrow and shitty selection capabilities. I spend a lot of time deleting extraneous stuff and moving the stubborn cursor. Can't make anyone else do it, but for me it's worth it. O0

And how hard is it to type:

Code: Select all

[quote="Mountaineer"]
??

I have my ipad set to expand qt to the close quote tag.
But the context (sorry Maddy) is going, going, gone. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:22 am

Desert wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: Probably can't read the Bible in public schools because it contains the word "slave", 181 times in the NIV. Will the Bible be next on the remove from classics list because it contains nasty stories? Surely we would not want our little darlings exposed to such hideous ideas; we must create more snowflakes to offset global warming. ;)

On a serious note, I do not think one can fully understand and appreciate good unless they also understand evil. And, evil will never be eliminated by man, no matter how hard some try to create heaven on earth by getting rid of things they perceive as evil (e.g. statues, or books, or flags in this case). Much better to spend our energy focused on the real solution to the problem, i.e. what has already been done to solve the problem versus what we humans need to do.
Point 1: I agree with portions of this, Mountaineer. And I certainly don't believe any of us can create heaven on earth. But I do believe we are called to oppose evil and do good; not for salvation, but because it's commanded and exemplified in the Bible. (Apologies to the non-religious for the bible thumping)

Point 2: Anyway, back to the secular world: I think it's tough to see more than one side of issues like this unless one gets out of their cultural bubble long enough to form relationships with individuals from other walks of life. Of course there's no law that says any of us need to do that, but I have found it incredibly useful in my own life. It has built empathy in my heart/brain for peoples and issues I previously saw very differently.

Point 3: And again, I wish everyone would take some time out and view the NO Mayor speech on monuments. You may not agree with his conclusion, but at the very least it will help you understand the other side of this issue.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/na ... 1bd7519e6a
I added Points in your post to help keep track of my responses.

Re. Point 1 - The main thing Jesus commanded is covered in Mt 28:18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” - Many of the rest of his commands were to show the futility of man being able to do them, and thus to help them see they needed to depend on Jesus alone. [notice it says teaching them to observe, not teaching them to do]

Re. Point 2 - Agree, my experience as well.

Re. Point 3 - I did watch the NO video. There is actually a biblical chain reference on this topic. (Deut 19:14, 27:17, Hos 5:10, Prov 22:28, 23:10, Job 24:2) The short answer is "you shall not move your neighbor's landmark". It is not quite that easy, as I think the context is incredibly helpful and critical. And the law always has three forces, but no force in itself. But, here is something a wrote up on it. http://www.saintmarkslutheran.org/2017/08/17/landmarks/ (Mark Brown). The cancer is spreading to statues of others who some merely "don't like". That's the problem when laws are not respected, as well as the problem when people do not respect the property of others. One of my current beliefs is that our culture has pretty much lost respect for most things that enabled our nation to prosper and grow, but especially the capability to care for each other no matter how obnoxious we may view the other. We used to be united in Christ, or at least in the moral aspects of the Judeo-Christian teachings - no longer. And we are reaping the results.

http://www.fox29.com/news/274535688-story

PHILADELPHIA (WTXF) - The Frank Rizzo statue was defaced with white spray paint that says "Black Power" Thursday night, and Philadelphia Police have now confirmed a suspect was taken into custody early Friday morning. It happened around 11 p.m. Thursday night. Rizzo, the tough talking former cop from South Philly, has long been criticized for his volatile relationships with African Americans and LGBT communities.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Maddy wrote:Just for the record, the above wasn't my quote.
My apologies for the quote bloat. I'll try to avoid it in the future. My thinking was to include everybody who had commented on the thread but I'm sorry for the misattribution.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm

moved the Figuring Out Religion content to the appropriate thread... religious commentary/proselytizing is fine in the correct spot.. it is not complicated to use quote, copy, and paste to respond to political philosophical and investment discussions with a religion based reply in the correct thread, just hit quote copy the quote go to the religion thread paste the quote and reply away....

edit to add - feel free to post a link in the original thread to the religious replies you make over in the religion thread, to direct those who want to see it over there to read it..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:12 pm

The more I think about the taking down of statues (or flags, or banning books and the like) the more I'm coming to believe we are treating the disease with an asprin when open heart 5 bypasses surgery is needed. So very like us humans to feel great about ourselves for the fleeting moment before reality kicks us in the teeth once more like it almost always does. Hope I'm wrong about that ......... I'm off now for a beer and brisket with farjean2 and desert, at least in my mind.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:46 pm

Mountaineer wrote: I'm off now for a beer and brisket with farjean2 and desert, at least in my mind.
I'm flattered. Slow cooked ribs in the oven will be done in about an hour. There's also plenty of beer.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:01 pm

farjean2 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: I'm off now for a beer and brisket with farjean2 and desert, at least in my mind.
I'm flattered. Slow cooked ribs in the oven will be done in about an hour. There's also plenty of beer.
Wow, does that ever sound good. I'll bet we will find a whole bunch of things we agree on, likely far more than not. Let's see, how many is that now, at least 4 by my count and we are only trading electrons instead of real conversation. 8)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Desert wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:The more I think about the taking down of statues (or flags, or banning books and the like) the more I'm coming to believe we are treating the disease with an asprin when open heart 5 bypasses surgery is needed. So very like us humans to feel great about ourselves for the fleeting moment before reality kicks us in the teeth once more like it almost always does. Hope I'm wrong about that ......... I'm off now for a beer and brisket with farjean2 and desert, at least in my mind.
I agree. Taking down some statues and flags is only treating the symptoms. Here's a good read on the civil war, the Jim Crow period, and statues.
Confederate statues are generally not very aesthetically memorable. They are far more important for what they represent: a bill still being paid for over a century of deliberate forgetting and rewriting of the history of the Civil War and Reconstruction.

Let me start with one important fact: The American Civil War was fought over slavery. Southern states seceded (and later started the war) in furious outrage over Abraham Lincoln being elected on a platform of restricting slavery's extent to the places in which it already existed. Rather than accept the result of the democratic process, secessionists decided to break the country apart and start a war to keep it that way. Preserving and extending slavery — which was the sole foundation of the Confederacy's political economy — was the objective of this war.
http://theweek.com/articles/718986/how- ... -civil-war
I have no idea if this is really true, but I was once told by a history teacher that if one really wanted to understand the American Civil War, the most reliable but still far from perfect way to do that was to read newspapers from the North and South written at the time and no later than about 1870 or 1880. Read all the newspaper, opinions, articles, ads and such - everything for a maybe 30 or 40 year period. A very big task to say the least. After that, the rewriting of history began in ernest, especially the summary stuff that tries to reduce the complexity to a few major causes, according to that teacher. Who knows?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:23 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Desert wrote:Rather than accept the result of the democratic process, secessionists decided to break the country apart and start a war to keep it that way.
http://theweek.com/articles/718986/how- ... -civil-war
Jeez, that sounds like a description of the entire left and some of the right these days. :(
It truly does. Btw, I get the Week in print. Much of it is a bit left even for me, but most of it is reprinted excerpts from both sides of an issue, e.g. New York Times AND Slate AND Nat'l review. For about a buck an issue, it's a nice way to pass the time when the wife *still* isn't dressed and ready for dinner.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:07 pm

Maddy wrote:Well, well, well. It's being rumored, the alleged source being the "hard left" Southern Poverty Law Center--that Jason Kessler is a left-wing activist previously associated with Occupy. It'll be interesting to see how this unfolds.
Unfolded -
Jason Kessler posts derogatory tweets about woman killed during Charlottesville riot.
https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... yback.html
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:39 pm

#1 you mean.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:58 am

Where will it end?

"In the wake of the violence that took place in Charlottesville over last weekend, numerous activists and politicians have called for the destruction of more historical monuments, although a significant majority of Americans (62 percent) think the monuments should stay put. Only 27 percent of Americans think these statues should be removed for fear of offending some people. As usual, public opinion’s not stopping liberals from pursuing an unpopular agenda.

Though by no means comprehensive, here’s a list of the monuments that are facing calls for removal or have already been torn down."
See link:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/08/17/her ... -tear-far/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:54 am

MangoMan wrote:Ha, I thought that I was the only one 'still' waiting for the GF to be ready to leave.
I believe it was the inspiration for Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight."
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 am

I think we've still got a long ways to go before we reach the level of civil unrest we saw in the 60's with the Vietnam war protests and the race riots but things do seem to be heating up quite a bit. What's surprising to me is that there are so many "white nationalists" out there. They seem to have kept mostly silent until now.

I wonder if these things come in cycles and we're due for one.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Desert wrote:Here's a nice writing from 1928, by DuBois:

. . . Well, for what did he fight? State rights? Nonsense. The South cared only for State Rights as a weapon to defend slavery. If nationalism had been a stronger defense of the slave system than particularism, the South would have been as nationalistic in 1861 as it had been in 1812.

No. People do not go to war for abstract theories of government. . .
Says he. Those "abstract theories of government" represent the product of centuries of critical thinking about actual events and about very concrete social and political issues. We go to war over those "abstract theories" because we know, from experience, what happens when power becomes concentrated in a central government.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Robert E. Lee
Lee hesitated and hung his head in shame because he was asked to lead armies against human progress and Christian decency and did not dare refuse.
Pure Bullshit. The Apostle Paul made it very clear that slaves are to submit to their masters and the book of Philemon where he sent a slave back to his master was often quoted for justifying the fugitive slave act. I know you are a Christian so how do you go about reconciling the Bible as the "authoritative word of God" on the subject to the point that you can condemn Mr. Lee for supporting slavery?
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Maddy wrote:

. . . Well, for what did he fight? State rights? Nonsense. The South cared only for State Rights as a weapon to defend slavery. If nationalism had been a stronger defense of the slave system than particularism, the South would have been as nationalistic in 1861 as it had been in 1812.

Says he. Those "abstract theories of government" represent the product of centuries of critical thinking about actual events and about very concrete social and political issues. We go to war over those "abstract theories" because we know, from experience, what happens when power becomes concentrated in a central government.
Not only is it ridiculous to assert that the gears of war actually start turning over abstract theories than more simple material and power gains to be had, but what's more is that war is the ultimate unchecked collection of power in the central government. Revolution might be more of what you are trying to speak of.

The Civil War wasn't fought by against the federal U.S. government by a bunch of decentralized militias or even independent states, but a Confederation that drafted (read: enslaved) men to go die to protect the imperial interests of the elite political class of the South. The North was pretty much the same thing, but with "slavery" as the thing they eventually pretended they fought the war for rather than "decentralized government."

"Abstract theories" are almost always simply a pretext to get the populace whipped up.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Maddy wrote:

Not only is it ridiculous to assert that the gears of war actually start turning over abstract theories than more simple material and power gains to be had, but what's more is that war is the ultimate unchecked collection of power in the central government. Revolution might be more of what you are trying to speak of.

The Civil War wasn't fought by against the federal U.S. government by a bunch of decentralized militias or even independent states, but a Confederation that drafted (read: enslaved) men to go die to protect the imperial interests of the elite political class of the South. The North was pretty much the same thing, but with "slavery" as the thing they eventually pretended they fought the war for rather than "decentralized government."

"Abstract theories" are almost always simply a pretext to get the populace whipped up.
Maddy, Desert, moda0306, very interesting and divergent views. Serious question: What is the source(s) that shape your view, or opinion, and how did you determine the source(s) is/are factual or true?
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

For me... Glenn Greenwald, Noam Chomsky, Smedley Butler, Howard Zinn, Eugene Debbs... others but you really can't go wrong there.

At least my views on foreign policy and war.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Maddy, Desert, moda0306, very interesting and divergent views. Serious question: What is the source(s) that shape your view, or opinion, and how did you determine the source(s) is/are factual or true?
I'm not sure what particular view you're referring to, but the view that people do stand up for principle as opposed to being motivated politically by their own self-interest is supported in spades by the behavior of constitutional conservatives during the last eight and a half years.

It would have been very easy, given the shredding of the constitution, the dismantling of culture, and the nearly complete abandonment of the rule of law that we witnessed during the Obama administration, for constitutional conservatives to have thrown a collective temper tantrum such as the one we are presently witnessing from the Progressive Left. However, the vast majority of conservatives exercised an impressive amount of restraint and did what they have always done--played by the rules--while the other team fouled them time and time again. Amazingly, those rule-of-law conservatives held out for eight extremely demoralizing years, patiently awaiting the opportunity to register their individual vote at the polls. When you think about it, that was a really amazing exercise of character, the backbone of which came from the genuinely-held belief that the principles behind our constitutional form of government do matter, and that to win by violating those principles would be a pyrrhic victory.

Now we're facing a very different sort of overreach from the Left. Violence aimed at law-abiding citizens, the attempted creation of chaos, the quashing of divergent viewpoints, the publication of entirely made-up political narratives, and daily displays of vile, intolerant, and wholly uncivilized behavior. And once again constitutional conservatives are exercising amazing restraint, since the natural impulse of one with the power of law on his side, in the face of such egregiously criminal conduct, would be to forcibly take the criminals into custody and put them in prison--or in a state hospital--for a good long time.

In short, the rule-of-law conservatives have held fast to the principle that even when the country's very foundation is under attack and one side is playing with a double deck, it is imperative that we still adhere to our principles.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Maddy, Desert, moda0306, very interesting and divergent views. Serious question: What is the source(s) that shape your view, or opinion, and how did you determine the source(s) is/are factual or true?
I'm not sure what particular view you're referring to, but the view that people do stand up for principle as opposed to being motivated politically by their own self-interest is supported in spades by the behavior of constitutional conservatives during the last eight and a half years.

It would have been very easy, given the shredding of the constitution, the dismantling of culture, and the nearly complete abandonment of the rule of law that we witnessed during the Obama administration, for constitutional conservatives to have thrown a collective temper tantrum such as the one we are presently witnessing from the Progressive Left. However, the vast majority of conservatives exercised an impressive amount of restraint and did what they have always done--played by the rules--while the other team fouled them time and time again. Amazingly, those rule-of-law conservatives held out for eight extremely demoralizing years, patiently awaiting the opportunity to register their individual vote at the polls. When you think about it, that was a really amazing exercise of character, the backbone of which came from the genuinely-held belief that the principles behind our constitutional form of government do matter, and that to win by violating those principles would be a pyrrhic victory.

Now we're facing a very different sort of overreach from the Left. Violence aimed at law-abiding citizens, the attempted creation of chaos, the quashing of divergent viewpoints, the publication of entirely made-up political narratives, and daily displays of vile, intolerant, and wholly uncivilized behavior. And once again constitutional conservatives are exercising amazing restraint, since the natural impulse of one with the power of law on his side, in the face of such egregiously criminal conduct, would be to forcibly take the criminals into custody and put them in prison--or in a state hospital--for a good long time.

In short, the rule-of-law conservatives have held fast to the principle that even when the country's very foundation is under attack and one side is playing with a double deck, it is imperative that we still adhere to our principles.
Now your phrase is "stand up," whatever that means. But before you were saying "we go to war" for these principles. While I wouldn't put it past certain individuals to join a cause at great expense for perceived principles (though usually extremely naively), the actual engineers of most wars or just political causes in-general are usually NOT in a similar position. They are careerists who sacrifice very little for the wars or other policies they propose and execute.

But to your broader that 1) Obama was uniquely flippant towards the rule of law, and that 2) "constitutional conservatives" were uniquely principled in their "stand up" against him, I guess I'd ask you a couple things...

- In what major ways was Obama and his admin uniquely flippant towards the rule of law.

- Who are these principled constitutional conservatives? Are there many politicians you would label as such, or are you talking about individual citizens? If the latter, aren't you sort of cherry picking? Wouldn't you also say that there are members of "the left" who take very principled stands and don't resort to violence and have power-decks stacked against their causes as well? Or, put a bit differently, aren't there extremely unprincipled "conservatives" in our government (caughMitchMcConnell) that aren't worthy of praise at all?

Yes, there are very principled people out there... but usually the only principle that can drive big decisions at the government level such as a WAR is rampant careerism and cronyism, and all the profit benefits of neo-Imperialism.

I would also add that if there was every any time where evidence was at its highest that "conservatives" had far fewer principles than they propose they do, it's in the election of the utter buffoon we have in the White House (and I thought the last "conservative" buffoon was bad). Rand Paul, once again, didn't stand a chance, and he's on a very, very short list of what seem to be quasi-principled politicians out there, and if we really had a critical mass of "constitutionalists" out there, Rand would have been far more popular.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:49 pm

Maddy,

You may have answered me this before, but who are your main philisophical/informational/political-commentary influences? Like actual names of people that you count on for quality analysis of the seemingly unstoppable noise of information and misinformation out there?
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:31 pm

moda0306 wrote:Maddy,

You may have answered me this before, but who are your main philisophical/informational/political-commentary influences? Like actual names of people that you count on for quality analysis of the seemingly unstoppable noise of information and misinformation out there?
Moda,

I took a full year of social philosophy in college, but in all honesty I can't recall more than a few basic themes. We went through the usual cast of characters--Hobbes, Mills, Bentham, Mills, Marx, Feuerbach and many more I'm sure--but I don't think that I ever had an "aha" moment where everything fell into place. However, to this day, certain ideas and constructs from each of them remain with me today as useful constructs.

In terms of actual influences, I'd have to say that those were much more personal. My de facto grandparents came from an Amish background, and their values of honesty, hard work, simplicity, and the importance of community built on a foundation of individual responsibility were hugely formative and have become more so as time has gone on. Throughout my life, I've studied people intently, always wanting to know what makes them tick. I've watched how the people I've known have lived out their lives and have come to my own understanding of what types of values predominate in the lives of the people I most respect and who have made me better for having known them. (They definitely were not all conservative.)

There have been some authors with whom I've felt a particular affinity, one being Harry Browne (I'm thinking here of his book, "How I Found Freedom") for his very down-to-earth and seasoned view of libertarianism. And Dale Carnegie for his very simple, common sense formula for how to get along with people.

And of course, I've read many tens of thousands of published legal cases during the course of my professional life, and have been influenced greatly by the enormous disparity between one judge and another in terms of the intellectual honesty employed in the analysis. I've also had the opportunity to see how quickly the rule of law descends into utter disarray when a judge tinkers even a little with the law in order to achieve what he or she believes is the best result. That experience, more than anything else, has impressed upon me the importance of enduring principles that provide uniformity and evenhandedness in the dispensing of justice, and that prevent the rules governing social relations from becoming arbitrary and unpredictable.

As for the people I rely on for quality political analysis, I like Sean Hannity very much. He strikes me as a very straight shooter.
Last edited by Maddy on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:33 pm

Desert wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: Maddy, Desert, moda0306, very interesting and divergent views. Serious question: What is the source(s) that shape your view, or opinion, and how did you determine the source(s) is/are factual or true?
Of course I use only the best logic to arrive at all my conclusions. O0

But seriously, I attempt to test a topic by running it across a lifetime of education and experience; also, I try to seek out several sources that I find to be not overly crazy. I talk to close friends and family a lot. Many of my friends come from a background very different than mine, so I feel that I'm getting some diversity of opinions to choose from. With all that, I am sure I sometimes come to an incorrect conclusion.

I realize I appear to be a left-winger on here, and in this group I surely am, relative to this mostly right-wing group. Unlike Maddy, I don't find either group (left or right) to be largely superior to the other. I see the pendulum swing wildly, with the result being the left having the better ideas in some periods, and the right in others. I try to look across the spectrum for the ideas that make the most sense to me, regardless of where they fall on the left/right continuum. That's how I end up with somewhat radical ideas in both directions, including being against both abortion and the display of confederate symbols on public land (not that those two are in any way close, in terms of importance).

What about you, Mountaineer? The Book of Concord? ;)
Cognitive/Logic knowledge - based on my education which consisted of large doses of science and engineering; the main benefit was to learn how to think independently and go to source material when ever possible; i.e. don't depend on Cliff notes ;) . I value the scientific method for the arenas in which it applies (e.g. chemistry, Newtonian physics, engineering) and do not trust it in the arenas in which it was not originally intended to be used (e.g. biology, social studies, politics, human relations, theology). I try to learn something new every day.

Experiential knowledge - based on interactions with friends, family, and coworkers from and in several different cultures, trial and error, and my study of history; these somewhat can bleed back into the cognitive area too. My experience (and independent thinking) have taught me to be skeptical of most mass media and to assume that most people have an agenda based upon their self-interest and self-benefit until demonstrated otherwise; there are very few truly purposeful people who put the well being of others above their own - the exception is a rock solid marriage/immediate family. I realize that sounds cynical. It really means I just accept and try to understand people (including myself) as we are, flaws and all, and to discern carefully what we jointly can learn from each other, both useful and that which should be discarded.

Revealed knowledge - based on the Word which is the objective external source that distinguishes and defines right and wrong (i.e. morals, not moralism), truth, good and evil, how to live our lives in peace and freedom regardless of world events and economic status, and how a secure future has been assured for me.

I try not to focus too much on left, right, liberal, or conservative and especially try not to get all worked up over things that are not in my control or sphere of influence. In my opinion, they are all just stereotypical labels and the people I know are individuals in community with me and should be treated as such; it is like my congregation - a mix of rich and poor, black and white and brown, Republicans and Democrats and Independents, very intelligent and mentally challenged, tall and short, drinkers and abstainers, men and women and children, deeply involved and occasional seat warmers only - bottom line is all those differences almost never come to the forefront (i.e. are not topics of gossip among us); people are focused on the gifts they receive (the Means of Grace in our terminology). I personally try to remember that everything I have is a gift - every breath, my family, my friends, my faith, my health, and my life. I try to receive those gifts thankfully and tell others about them. I try not to meddle in others' affairs. I often do not do it well; I get back up and remember tomorrow is a brand new day with a brand new start.