What's Happened To This Place?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

What's Happened To This Place?

Post by Don » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:55 pm

I remember coming here years ago and seeing some really healthy, bare-fisted discussions of politics, world events and health issues. They were interesting, insightful and entertaining. What happened to all of those people and to those types of discussions?
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What's Happened To This Place?

Post by Mark Leavy » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:01 pm

The problem, Don, is that you forgot the eighth rule of fight club.
And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.
Thus... for this place to be the place you remember, you have to show up bare-knuckled.

Not whining about how it used to be.

Why are you such a pussy?

Bring some data. Challenge an assumption. Tell a good story.

Don't be a pussy, Don.

Mark
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:01 pm

I think some folks got more and more tired of the bombastic, ridiculous claims and hyperbole here. The sharp turn from skepticism of government and faux authority to a constant decrying "the left" bogeymen from a conservative mindset surely helped some non-conservative members get a bit bored.

Also a lot of people got bored with the investment aspect of the PP which helped facilitate it. Phenomenal stock market performance year after year probably aided that.

The site also shut down for a while and had very intermittent "service" (I am so not a tech guy... what do you call a non-working website?) around that time.

There's probably other reasons I'm not remembering or catching on to. It's a shame though. There was some great stuff here. Still isn't terrible, but I doubt it'll ever be the same.

But I'm kind of a left-wing snowflake millennial pussy so what do I know. ::)
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:40 pm

The forum matured. Endless complaining and arguing gets old, and when you gather enough smart people together, they'll eventually want to reach some conclusions--even for controversial topics.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:00 am

When the seas are calm, nobody is looking for a safe harbour.....

Be careful what you wish for, you might actually get it :)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:58 am

Perhaps over indulgence in permanent supplements took their toll. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 am

moda0306 wrote:Also a lot of people got bored with the investment aspect of the PP which helped facilitate it.
My guess is if you've ever taken this personality test (pretty short but interesting) that most of the people here are some combination of green and gold.

https://lonerwolf.com/true-colors-personality-test/
http://www.bearriverbands.org/green.html

From the "green.html" website, this probably sounds like a lot of y'all on here:
Once I have perfected an idea, I prefer to move on, leaving the project to be maintained and supported by others.
The PP is very simple. Once you perfect the idea, you move onto other pursuits until something challenges your original assumptions, etc.
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:46 am

Mark Leavy wrote:The problem, Don, is that you forgot the eighth rule of fight club.
And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.
Thus... for this place to be the place you remember, you have to show up bare-knuckled.

Not whining about how it used to be.

Why are you such a pussy?

Bring some data. Challenge an assumption. Tell a good story.

Don't be a pussy, Don.

Mark
P.S. I love how awesomely blunt Mark is here (while also being technically correct). “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:40 pm

Greg wrote:
moda0306 wrote:Also a lot of people got bored with the investment aspect of the PP which helped facilitate it.
My guess is if you've ever taken this personality test (pretty short but interesting) that most of the people here are some combination of green and gold.

https://lonerwolf.com/true-colors-personality-test/
http://www.bearriverbands.org/green.html

From the "green.html" website, this probably sounds like a lot of y'all on here:
Once I have perfected an idea, I prefer to move on, leaving the project to be maintained and supported by others.
The PP is very simple. Once you perfect the idea, you move onto other pursuits until something challenges your original assumptions, etc.
And from the "gold" site: http://www.bearriverbands.org/gold.html

The quiz pretty much identified my strengths and weaknesses. I agree we are likely some combo of green and gold. Thanks for posting that Greg. I'd not heard of that method before. O0
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 pm

Mountaineer wrote: And from the "gold" site: http://www.bearriverbands.org/gold.html
In childhood, I wanted to follow the rules and regulations of the school. I understood and respected authority and was comfortable with academic routine. I was the easiest of all types of children to adapt to the educational system.

This probably describes me too but when I went to school they pretty much beat your ass if you didn't follow the rules and regulations (my true color on the test was blue, BTW).
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:58 pm

farjean2 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: And from the "gold" site: http://www.bearriverbands.org/gold.html
In childhood, I wanted to follow the rules and regulations of the school. I understood and respected authority and was comfortable with academic routine. I was the easiest of all types of children to adapt to the educational system.

This probably describes me too but when I went to school they pretty much beat your ass if you didn't follow the rules and regulations (my true color on the test was blue, BTW).
Indeed. I witnessed a 6’6” mechanical drawing teacher break a 3” wide x 1” thick oak paddle on a guy’s butt. Today’s snowflakes, and parents would have a foam at the mouth fenzy and demand all oak trees be cut and burned. That would make an interesting match - tree huggers vs. snowflakes. BTW, the guy suffered not much more than hurt pride, and his behavior definitely improved.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:19 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
farjean2 wrote:

Indeed. I witnessed a 6’6” mechanical drawing teacher break a 3” wide x 1” thick oak paddle on a guy’s butt. Today’s snowflakes, and parents would have a foam at the mouth fenzy and demand all oak trees be cut and burned. That would make an interesting match - tree huggers vs. snowflakes. BTW, the guy suffered not much more than hurt pride, and his behavior definitely improved.
It's the same generation that "respected authority" to that sort of degree that proceeded to massacre a million + folks in Southeast Asia because they were ordered to do it to "halt communism."

A snowflake would cry to their parents... a freethinker wouldn't allow themselves to be abused in the first place and defend themselves with force if necessary... a thug would abuse another human being while judging those who object as snowflakes.

At least that's one way to look at it...
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

moda0306 wrote: It's the same generation that "respected authority" to that sort of degree that proceeded to massacre a million + folks in Southeast Asia because they were ordered to do it to "halt communism."

A snowflake would cry to their parents... a freethinker wouldn't allow themselves to be abused in the first place and defend themselves with force if necessary... a thug would abuse another human being while judging those who object as snowflakes.

At least that's one way to look at it...
You would have made a good Vietnam war protester. We could have sat in the cell together while they passed around the great big joint that I have no idea how they got into jail. May, 1970 - O.S.U. campus the same time as the Kent State shootings were taking place. Just home from Vietnam after delivering cargo for the invasion up on the Cambodian border on the Mekong river.

Joined the Navy to avoid going to Vietnam which just goes to show you a moral lesson. I was against the war but I had no idea I was even going to Vietnam until they put me on the plane. Total Mindfuck, to say the least.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Lol, the real Mark Leavy is peacefully cooking a pig in a hot tub somewhere, completely unaware that someone else has taken over for the past few posts. I'm sure of it! O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:57 am

When the next financial meltdown happens -- and it will -- there will be a fresh new influx of people to this forum who are ready to question everything. And some of them will be so exceptionally smart, well-spoken, and confident, that they will attract a following of sorts.

I think some of the most intelligent and charismatic people shine the brightest in the midst of crisis.
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:45 pm

dualstow wrote:Lol, the real Mark Leavy is peacefully cooking a pig in a hot tub somewhere, completely unaware that someone else has taken over for the past few posts. I'm sure of it! O0
A pig cooked in a hot tub doesn't sound too appetizing to me, whether peacefully or not. You'd have to cook it for a long time and it would be way too salty when it was done, not to mention all of the other stuff that would seep into it.

Now, if I'm being ignorant and "pig in a hot tub" is some kind of alcoholic drink I'm not aware of, by all means let me know the ingredients.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:46 pm

No, I meant it literally. It is not a drink. O0
RIP Marcello Gandini
farjean2
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by farjean2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:49 pm

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:54 am

This thread has me thinking about Charlottesville. I actually felt kind of sorry for...the "nazis." There's something I never thought I'd say.

Edit: sorry, still waking up on a Sunday morning, and I did not realize there was a dedicated thread on this.
RIP Marcello Gandini