Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by vnatale » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:36 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:54 am
sophie wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 am

check out what our darling mayor & council (NYC) has managed to pull off for today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/30/nyre ... n-nyc.html

There are some French Michelin star restaurants in the this city that probably will have something to say about this. Go Daniel Boulud.
While I am usually Libertarian in view, I find the whole process of force feeding via tube to unnaturally engorge a helpless bird somewhat disgusting. So I am not opposed to this intrusive legislation like I am with most of the other 'the government knows better than you' laws. People will manage just fine without Foie Gras.
This one I am with you 100%!

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:36 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:55 am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kLz2zm6jsQ
Big fat ugly bubble
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:56 am

vnatale wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:26 pm
technovelist wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 pm
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Is it possible he is "attacked" so because he deserves to be? Some of us believe that the media has been way too mild on him given the unprecedented number of documented lies he has made.

We just seem to live in two different worlds.

To me, he is not of high intellect. Not dumb but I see no signs of exceptional intelligence.

Terrible character. Don't see anything admirable about him. If you had a daughter would be in high in your choices of potential husbands?

The lies. If you and I personally knew one another and you lied to me just once you'd forever be on probation with me and possibly never believed. You'd certainly never get any benefits of the doubt.

His work habits are terrible. Again, would you want him as your boss?

His decision making process is terrible. Seemingly by whimsy with almost no serious study.

I could go on and on and on. But I'm sure you are happy I'll choosing to stop here.

Vinny
1. Intelligence:
Considering the opposition he faces, to accomplish anything at all he must be either extremely intelligent, or the luckiest man in the world.
I think the former is much more likely.

2. Character:
If his character is so terrible, how could he be subjected to a completely unlimited witch hunt for several years and have that witch hunt end with absolutely nothing?

3. Lies:
He has made a number of jokes and some exaggerations (called "puffery" in advertising). I haven't heard him make a single statement that I would consider a lie of any significance.

4. His work habits:
He works harder than anyone I know. He gets about 3 hours of sleep a night and works at least twice as much as any other President I've lived under.

5. His decision making process:
He has excellent instincts and has made very few mistakes that I can recall, other than choosing subordinates, and in many of those cases he was undoubtedly misadvised by swamp creatures to get him to hire the wrong people.

Hope that helps.
1. Intelligence:
His accomplishments? Don't forget that for the first two years he was aided by the Republicans in controlling all three branches of government. When have they not supported him?

2. Character:
NO witch hunt. Not enough has been done in this regard. And, this process is FAR from ending. For the last hour I've been listening on C-Span to today's "Impeachment Inquire Rules" as discussed in the House of Representatives.

3. Lies:
I could go on and on and on and on producing URL's like this. But I'll confine myself to just three. And, were there any URLs like this related to President Obama?

https://www.politifact.com/personalitie ... ing/false/
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... -lies.html
https://www.dailywire.com/news/trumps-1 ... nk-berrien

4. Work habits:
My impression is that he spends a lot of time watching TV, ambles down to the office around 11 AM, spends a ton of time golfing. He engages in no study time in arriving at a decision.

5. His decision making process:
Who is the last president who has had such a turnover in his cabinet?

Vinny
I hope you don't become suicidal after he wins in a landslide next year.
I'll check back with you then.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:13 am

technovelist wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:56 am
I hope you don't become suicidal after he wins in a landslide next year.
I'll check back with you then.
[/quote]

No. That was the way I felt on election night 2000 when they announced that Bush had won. Trump still has not come close to 10% of the damage to our country and the world that Bush accomplished. Plus, Trump provides a certain amount of entertainment value.

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:36 am

sophie wrote:
It's so easy to be an armchair psychologist, but remember that your sources of unbiased information about Donald Trump as a person are very, very limited. I have no idea what his personality, work habits etc are like, and neither do any of you.
I think I have some idea about some of his personality. It is clear that he cannot take criticism, ever/has no sense of humor about himself/is never self-deprecating.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:36 am
sophie wrote:
It's so easy to be an armchair psychologist, but remember that your sources of unbiased information about Donald Trump as a person are very, very limited. I have no idea what his personality, work habits etc are like, and neither do any of you.
I think I have some idea about some of his personality. It is clear that he cannot take criticism, ever/has no sense of humor about himself/is never self-deprecating.
He is criticized more than anyone has ever been criticized, 24/7 on virtually every "mainstream media" outlet.
Yet he seems to be in very good spirits.
How can that be if he "cannot take criticism"?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:08 pm

technovelist wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am
dualstow wrote:
sophie wrote:
He is criticized more than anyone has ever been criticized, 24/7 on virtually every "mainstream media" outlet.
tech, are you on his local re-election committee? ;)

You are correct, he can take criticism. And it does not bother him, apparently. But his only comeback to criticism, even when well intentioned, say, by advisers, is to chew your head off. So he basically is surrounded more and more by people who say "yes, sir!" even when stuff is crazy outlandish. oh, say, like buying Greenland...

But, I am 100% sure you'll come back and make the argument why buying Greenland would be a good move and why it was a well thought out plan by him.

And God forbid the PM of Denmark calling it absurd. Bite head off, cancel trip.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Point.

I don't know if it's about "not taking criticism well" so much as an instant, not well thought out lashing-out type of response. In short, no brain to mouth (or brain to keyboard) filter or delay circuit. Most definitely a major issue in a President.

It's a question of picking your battles, that's all. It depends on how you balance stuff like this with, say, the other candidate's positions. I just take the view that the twitter storms are a temporary agony that doesn't actually hurt me directly, but actions proposed by the opposing candidate (e.g. a tax or healthcare bill) will outlast a presidency and can potentially hurt me very badly. So I put more weight on the latter than the former, even though I see and understand the same behavior that you do.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm

technovelist wrote:
(Trump) :) is criticized more than anyone has ever been criticized, 24/7 on virtually every "mainstream media" outlet.

I agree.

Oh, he can weather the storm, alright. What I mean is, you will never find him saying, “You got me there” or “That is something I would like to work on.” No, the only response is to lash out out at the source while denying any flaws or wrongdoing.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:25 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm
technovelist wrote:
(Trump) :) is criticized more than anyone has ever been criticized, 24/7 on virtually every "mainstream media" outlet.

I agree.

Oh, he can weather the storm, alright. What I mean is, you will never find him saying, “You got me there” or “That is something I would like to work on.” No, the only response is to lash out out at the source while denying any flaws or wrongdoing.
Well, maybe if he weren't being continually attacked by the "mainstream media" for anything and everything he does, he would be more inclined to accept some criticism.

Or maybe not. But like sophie, I'm more interested in long-term effects than in immediate behavior.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:28 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:08 pm
technovelist wrote:
dualstow wrote:

tech, are you on his local re-election committee? ;)

You are correct, he can take criticism. And it does not bother him, apparently. But his only comeback to criticism, even when well intentioned, say, by advisers, is to chew your head off. So he basically is surrounded more and more by people who say "yes, sir!" even when stuff is crazy outlandish. oh, say, like buying Greenland...

But, I am 100% sure you'll come back and make the argument why buying Greenland would be a good move and why it was a well thought out plan by him.

And God forbid the PM of Denmark calling it absurd. Bite head off, cancel trip.
I'm going to help out any way I can in the election next year, which is as important as 2016.

As for buying Greenland, it's obviously ridiculous for a President to suggest buying a gigantic piece of real estate of no apparent value... like Seward's Folly.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 pm

But Alaska was actually for sale. O0
(Wasn’t it? I don’t know. Maybe it took some persuasion).