Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:08 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:36 am
WiseOne wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:43 am
It's so easy to be an armchair psychologist, but remember that your sources of unbiased information about Donald Trump as a person are very, very limited. I have no idea what his personality, work habits etc are like, and neither do any of you.
I think I have some idea about some of his personality. It is clear that he cannot take criticism, ever/has no sense of humor about himself/is never self-deprecating.
He is criticized more than anyone has ever been criticized, 24/7 on virtually every "mainstream media" outlet.
Yet he seems to be in very good spirits.
How can that be if he "cannot take criticism"?
tech, are you on his local re-election committee? ;)

You are correct, he can take criticism. And it does not bother him, apparently. But his only comeback to criticism, even when well intentioned, say, by advisers, is to chew your head off. So he basically is surrounded more and more by people who say "yes, sir!" even when stuff is crazy outlandish. oh, say, like buying Greenland...

But, I am 100% sure you'll come back and make the argument why buying Greenland would be a good move and why it was a well thought out plan by him.

And God forbid the PM of Denmark calling it absurd. Bite head off, cancel trip.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Point.

I don't know if it's about "not taking criticism well" so much as an instant, not well thought out lashing-out type of response. In short, no brain to mouth (or brain to keyboard) filter or delay circuit. Most definitely a major issue in a President.

It's a question of picking your battles, that's all. It depends on how you balance stuff like this with, say, the other candidate's positions. I just take the view that the twitter storms are a temporary agony that doesn't actually hurt me directly, but actions proposed by the opposing candidate (e.g. a tax or healthcare bill) will outlast a presidency and can potentially hurt me very badly. So I put more weight on the latter than the former, even though I see and understand the same behavior that you do.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:48 am
(Trump) :) is criticized more than anyone has ever been criticized, 24/7 on virtually every "mainstream media" outlet.
Yet he seems to be in very good spirits.

I agree.

How can that be if he "cannot take criticism"?
Oh, he can weather the storm, alright. What I mean is, you will never find him saying, “You got me there” or “That is something I would like to work on.” No, the only response is to lash out out at the source while denying any flaws or wrongdoing.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 pm

But Alaska was actually for sale. O0
(Wasn’t it? I don’t know. Maybe it took some persuasion).
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:58 pm

dualstow wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:37 pm
But Alaska was actually for sale. O0
(Wasn’t it? I don’t know. Maybe it took some persuasion).
Looks like Alaska WAS for sale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Purchase

Russia had established a presence in North America during the first half of the seventeenth century, but few Russians ever settled in Alaska. In the aftermath of the Crimean War, Emperor Alexander II of Russia began exploring the possibility of selling Alaska, which would be difficult to defend from Britain and other countries in any future war. Following the end of the American Civil War, U.S. Secretary of State William Seward entered into negotiations with Russian minister Eduard de Stoeckl for the purchase of Alaska. Seward and Stoeckl agreed to a treaty on March 30, 1867, and the treaty was ratified by the United States Senate by a wide margin despite clashes between President Johnson and Congress over Reconstruction.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:23 pm

I thought there was more Russian settlement in Alaska than there apparently was. There's still a lot more Eastern Orthodox influence in Alaska than elsewhere in the country: Wikipedia says 5% of Alaskans are Orthodox, while it's only .5% nationally.

I remember seeing an Orthodox cross in the introduction to Deadliest Catch.

I think Russian Alaska is also the reason that North America is considered to be in the Russian "zone" for Orthodoxy - although Ad Orientem might have more to say about that.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:52 am

"Sitka", interesting novel by Louis L'Amour about historical Alaska. I think I read all of his books a few decades ago.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am

Former CIA Director is telling you they are Truthful, doing their duty, and have a higher call .
So the UNELECTED Deep State knows better than You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... JIrGbgRN-4

Thank You,
DEEP STATE for thinking for me, because I am obviously to ignorant and brainwashed to know that I am being screwed. ::)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm

shekels wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am
Former CIA Director is telling you they are Truthful, doing their duty, and have a higher call .

Thank You,
DEEP STATE for thinking for me, because I am obviously to ignorant and brainwashed to know that I am being screwed. ::)
I think it's astounding how according to the same newspaper, namely the New York Times, only a few months ago it was a "conspiracy theory" to even claim there is a Deep State, and now it not only exists but is wonderful!

See https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/cl ... tate-great
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:17 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm
shekels wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:07 am

Thank You,
I think it's astounding how according to the same newspaper, namely the New York Times, only a few months ago it was a "conspiracy theory" to even claim there is a Deep State, and now it not only exists but is wonderful!

See https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/cl ... tate-great
Have had on C-Span's Book TV all day.

One of the extended interviews was with the author of this book: https://smile.amazon.com/Deep-State-Sur ... l_huc_item - The Deep State: 15 Surprising Dangers You Should Know.

On my list but not yet purchased because it needs to take a deep dive from all its current prices.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:51 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
I’m tempted to check out this book by Pulitzer prizewinner James Stewart.
http://amzn.com/0525559108
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:34 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:51 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
If you want someone to explain away the obvious criminality of unelected bureaucrats by the flimsiest of excuses, that's probably the book for you.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:58 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:51 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
I do have that one in ebook form. Have not yet read it. Though my read a book a day friend did read it and gave it an A+ grade.

Vinny