Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am

Pence?
Check out ‘Seattle’s Wage Mandate Kills Restaurants’ at WSJ | Opinion
You know you’re into the pp when you see expiration dates at the grocery store and think, I have some bonds coming due then.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am
Pence?
No, Warren, Hillary, AOC clone who is already past 35yo, Bernie, etc.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am
dualstow wrote:
Pence?
LOL to putting Hillary in the same category as AOC.

Speaking of folks "over-playing their hand," as utterly terrible as Hillary was, one thing she WASN'T was a left-wing commie. She was just your typical robotic war-mongering centrist corporatist democrat.

She wasn't going to raise billionaires' taxes to 70%, forgive student loans, or institute a green new deal. But conservatives acted like she was Vladmir Lenin.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:53 am

moda0306 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am
... Hillary ...
But conservatives acted like she was Vladmir Lenin.
According to Roger McNamee's 'Zucked', there is a good reason for that.
You know you’re into the pp when you see expiration dates at the grocery store and think, I have some bonds coming due then.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:35 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am
pugchief wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am
dualstow wrote:
Pence?
LOL to putting Hillary in the same category as AOC.

Speaking of folks "over-playing their hand," as utterly terrible as Hillary was, one thing she WASN'T was a left-wing commie. She was just your typical robotic war-mongering centrist corporatist democrat.

She wasn't going to raise billionaires' taxes to 70%, forgive student loans, or institute a green new deal. But conservatives acted like she was Vladmir Lenin.
I agree they are nothing alike, nor in the same category. Unless that category is 'Trump alternatives that make me retch' for $500 Alex.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm

@moda... love the irony, railing against the press, the Don, Hillary and the previous three moron Republican presidents...and yet where are his narratives coming from?

Personally, I have no personal knowledge of any President in my lifetime. I do know how to spot a narrative being created and continued by their partisans. On the positive side...

Kennedy and Reagan were very good at inspiring Americans and asking us to strive to be our better selves and a better country.

Johnson did more than any single President behind Lincoln to actually advance civil rights

Nixon was pretty good at navigating the bi-polar world that existed at the time

Ford knew job 1 for his tenure was healing a very divided country and filled that role well

I do think Carter was a man of compassion and integrity

Bush 1 was a thoughtful statesman who surrounded himself with probably the best cabinet in my lifetime

Clinton was pretty good at economics and actually did bring the federal deficit down

Bush 2 was fundamentally a very good person and did many good things at an individual/family level that were never advertised and he never wanted them advertised...and he was smart enough to pick probably the best Fed Chairman in history.

Obama had the most rational foreign policy of any US President since Eisenhower and also actually brought the federal deficit down

Trump has been the first president in my life who actually does challenge the status quo and is not afraid to gore some very large oxes that probably need goring.

With regard to intelligence, everyone of them were smart enough to navigate and compete successfully enough to win both their party nomination and the presidency. As a minimum, they all made the right choices to get there and were smart enough to pick the team that helped them win. Everything I’ve ever read or watched about this process indicates it is exceedingly difficult on many levels financial, personal, family, organizational, communicative, and requires the ability to identify and campaign on those issues that motivate voters to pull the lever for them at that particular time in history.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm
@moda... love the irony, railing against the press, the Don, Hillary and the previous three moron Republican presidents...and yet where are his narratives coming from?

Personally, I have no personal knowledge of any President in my lifetime. I do know how to spot a narrative being created and continued by their partisans. On the positive side...

Kennedy and Reagan were very good at inspiring Americans and asking us to strive to be our better selves and a better country.

Johnson did more than any single President behind Lincoln to actually advance civil rights

Nixon was pretty good at navigating the bi-polar world that existed at the time

Ford knew job 1 for his tenure was healing a very divided country and filled that role well

I do think Carter was a man of compassion and integrity

Bush 1 was a thoughtful statesman who surrounded himself with probably the best cabinet in my lifetime

Clinton was pretty good at economics and actually did bring the federal deficit down

Bush 2 was fundamentally a very good person and did many good things at an individual/family level that were never advertised and he never wanted them advertised...and he was smart enough to pick probably the best Fed Chairman in history.

Obama had the most rational foreign policy of any US President since Eisenhower and also actually brought the federal deficit down

Trump has been the first president in my life who actually does challenge the status quo and is not afraid to gore some very large oxes that probably need goring.

With regard to intelligence, everyone of them were smart enough to navigate and compete successfully enough to win both their party nomination and the presidency. As a minimum, they all made the right choices to get there and were smart enough to pick the team that helped them win. Everything I’ve ever read or watched about this process indicates it is exceedingly difficult on many levels financial, personal, family, organizational, communicative, and requires the ability to identify and campaign on those issues that motivate voters to pull the lever for them at that particular time in history.
I disagree with almost everything you have posted here but appreciate your measured tone.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Nice to see some positivity, anyway.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Tough crowd.

To quote Theodore Roosevelt:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
limapsp

Post by limapsp » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:21 am

* looking at the crystal ball *
I would say no. Although during the last elections I was even more sure that this would not happen under any circumstances. How wrong I was! I do not know whether it is funny or scary.
And again, all the media will return to the endless and pointless discussion of Russiagate instead of discussing his real sins and politics while US is becoming the world's largest offshore financial centre. Trump is not a politician. He is a businessman. He and his real estate empire have their own interest in everything. He is a showman.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 pm
Tough crowd.

To quote Theodore Roosevelt:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Yes!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm
Any other Victor Davis Hanson fans here? He has a new book out called "The Case for Trump" discussing why Trump should get re-elected. I heard him interviewed on a podcast yesterday discussing the book. He seems like a thoughtful conservative. He doesn't like Trump's bombast, but he likes a lot of his policies. He lives in a farming region that could be described as low-rent (about 15 miles from me, who also lives in a low-rent area), and he seems to understand the frustrations of the lower class voters who elected Trump.

Hanson has his own podcast called The Classicist if anyone is interested.

Just read it. Good book, especially the Ancien Regime chapter.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come