Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by shekels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:30 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:50 pm
Sure, I have TDS bad.
Sounds like stage 4. I hope you recover soon.
https://nypost.com/2019/10/28/trump-rip ... n-protest/
Attachments
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (4.22 KiB) Viewed 7499 times
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Sure, I have TDS bad.
War Zone?

https://heyjackass.com/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:03 pm

shekels wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:
Sure, I have TDS bad.
Yeah, I've taken the red pill. The red pill shows me that little gets done by anyone where it really counts, lowering cost of medicine/medical care, reducing the debt and cutting back on military spending. They all just spend in different ways.

I think the historical question will always be asked, what more could Trump have gotten done if he just had a little bit less hubris, a little more humility, and a little more humanity to go along with his supposed great wisdom and amazing deal making skills.

His skills in building his real estate empire must have has a lot to do with being able to bully anyone and everyone to get his way. Doesn't work that way in Washington, or at least not forever.

***Hey, I know Chicago sucks. Do I need the president to tell me that, without offering anything constructive? No.***
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:53 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:03 pm
shekels wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm
Libertarian666 wrote:

Yeah, I've taken the red pill. The red pill shows me that little gets done by anyone where it really counts, lowering cost of medicine/medical care, reducing the debt and cutting back on military spending. They all just spend in different ways.

I think the historical question will always be asked, what more could Trump have gotten done if he just had a little bit less hubris, a little more humility, and a little more humanity to go along with his supposed great wisdom and amazing deal making skills.

His skills in building his real estate empire must have has a lot to do with being able to bully anyone and everyone to get his way. Doesn't work that way in Washington, or at least not forever.

***Hey, I know Chicago sucks. Do I need the president to tell me that, without offering anything constructive? No.***
So "You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

So less less hubris, a little more humility, and a little more humanity is a requirement to be a better President?

It seems about half of the country Dislike/Hate Trump and the Congressional Dems are trying for impeachment.
I don't know about you, but I would be fighting the onslaught of accusations any way I could.

We will never know what could have gotten done with so much hostility.

But ever year it gets worse.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:41 pm

(quote from the monarchism thread)
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:33 pm
If the Founders had wanted Presidential candidates to be forced to make their tax returns public, they would have put that in the Constitution.
I guess you were saying that tongue-in-cheek, but how do you feel about Trump’s birther antics when Obama was president?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:11 pm

My main interest in basketball is how the Boston Celtics perform on the court. All the rest is quite peripheral to that and, thus, don't pay a lot of attention to it.

And, since I stopped watched EPSN's Sports Center decades and decades and decades ago (I have since been referring to it as "Clown Center") I only have ESPN on if it is the only way I can see one of my team's games. So, once again, I'm not paying attention to anything else they are espousing.

Vinny
MangoMan wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:25 pm
vnatale wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:59 pm
That's fairly much a different definition than the one that I found. However, since it is your word (which ( had never prior seen) we'll stick with your definition.

And, if it all that means: "Alert to injustice in society, especially racism", then I'd consider that an excellent value or trait to have.
One would think so. But not when you are a 'racist' if you don't agree with 100% of that SJW's opinions.

Of course anything taken to its extreme may not be a good thing. Perhaps that is what you are reacting to?
It's not an extreme, it's a distortion.

Regarding your last sentence: " It is so pervasive in job hiring, college admissions, etc, that merit takes a back seat to identity politics the majority of the time these days." You are making a universal statement for the entire country? Or, in what the Democrats are saying? I assume it is the former?
Correct. This identity politics is going on nationwide.

Since you are a basketball fan, I'm not sure how you could be oblivious to all of this. The NBA and ESPN have basically staked their reputations on their wokeness. It turned out awful for ESPN and they are now trying to dig themselves out of the hole they dug by drastically changing company policy. The NBA is now feeling the first effects of their stupidity with the whole China/Hong Kong mess, but their revenue and ratings have already been in a downward trajectory for years. Politics have no place in sports.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Since I now work in a non-profit where I am almost certain that there is not a simple person there who voted for Trump, I'm surprised I'd never heard anyone say this word until I first read it here during the last week or so.

Vinny
dualstow wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:20 am
@vinny: woke was originally used by social justice warriors to describe themselves. It comes from a song or poem.

Now, however, it is increasingly used derisively and sarcastically by people (including me O0 ) who are critical of the perceived overreach of those SJWs, so both definitions apply. If you want to get a feel for wokeness, skim some of the thread, ‘The Left is Eating Itself.’
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 pm

What you state is extremely hypothetical since it bears no reality to anything currently going on with anyone in our country.

Vinny
Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:31 pm
shekels wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:53 pm
Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:03 pm

So "You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

So less less hubris, a little more humility, and a little more humanity is a requirement to be a better President?

It seems about half of the country Dislike/Hate Trump and the Congressional Dems are trying for impeachment.
I don't know about you, but I would be fighting the onslaught of accusations any way I could.

We will never know what could have gotten done with so much hostility.

But ever year it gets worse.
Let's take a hypothetical case.

Suppose there is a very wealthy man who is a patriot. He gives up a life of ease and comfort without any significant criticism from any part of society in order to protect the country he loves against what he sees as an existential threat to its well-being.
How should this man respond when he is accused of betraying his country, despite the total lack of any evidence?
I know how I would respond in that case.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm

Some thoughts:

"So less hubris, a little more humility, and a little more humanity is a requirement to be a better President?"

--Absolutely. Anyone here have kids in the house, say age 5-18? I cringe thinking about how he represents America and himself and how that might affect what they think about right and wrong. A simple point is how quickly he turns on anyone who has any level of disagreement with him. There's no level headed debate. You instantly end up being called a loser, in the gutter, and earn a 5th grade bully nickname.

Any poor news becomes Fake News. Press is the Enemy of the People. Shithole countries. Everyone's a loser (at least in 154 tweets). Likes people who weren't captured. Women are unattractive. Ex CEOs are dumb as a rock. Mexicans are rapists and killers. He golfs more than Obama ever did. Calls many lowlifes. Go back to your country.

------------------

"Suppose there is a very wealthy man who is a patriot. He gives up a life of ease and comfort without any significant criticism from any part of society in order to protect the country he loves against what he sees as an existential threat to its well-being. How should this man respond when he is accused of betraying his country, despite the total lack of any evidence? I know how I would respond in that case."

--Does he love the country? Or just himself?
--How many respected people need to testify about this phone call before it becomes real? It won't for some, right, because the call was "perfect" How many people will he denigrate along the way? I truly believe if Melania was on the call and said there was quid pro quo, he'd throw her under the bus as well.

***If he had the capability to be more presidential, which was my and lots of other people's hope, then I bet the shitstorm that perpetually surrounds him would be greatly reduced, and a lot of this backroom dealing would be left alone. He is his own worst enemy.

***I voted for him.

***I will not in 2020. Not that it matters in Illinois.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:07 pm

"I cringe thinking about how he represents America and himself and how that might affect what they think about right and wrong."

Maybe we should be teaching kids not to trust politicians. The pro-trump argument (which Im not sure the trumpsters here are making) is that he's simply a wrench in the works and is preventing government expansion.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 pm

The trumpsters here are goldbugs right, but if he could get his hands on the printing press he'd crank it all the way up, no?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Economics/comm ... and_urges/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 am

I don’t want to put words in your mouth. You think the birth certificate presented was not genuine?
Didn’t that actor/comedian from MadTV (Ike B-something. Barenholtz?) grow up with him in or near Chicago?
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:59 pm
Anyone here have kids in the house, say age 5-18? I cringe thinking about how he represents America and himself and how that might affect what they think about right and wrong. A simple point is how quickly he turns on anyone who has any level of disagreement with him. There's no level headed debate. You instantly end up being called a loser, in the gutter, and earn a 5th grade bully nickname.
Really? This is what concerns you most? You must be living in a different reality than I am.

What is sufficiently "presidential" behavior when you're singlehandedly battling a thoroughly corrupt political establishment bent upon destroying every last vestige of America's culture and values and which has already succeeded in nearly completely eviscerating the rule of law and the fundamental constitutional protections upon which this nation was built?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am

Maddy wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:00 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Anyone here have kids in the house, say age 5-18? I cringe thinking about how he represents America and himself and how that might affect what they think about right and wrong. A simple point is how quickly he turns on anyone who has any level of disagreement with him. There's no level headed debate. You instantly end up being called a loser, in the gutter, and earn a 5th grade bully nickname.
Really? This is what concerns you most? You must be living in a different reality than I am.

What is sufficiently "presidential" behavior when you're singlehandedly battling a thoroughly corrupt political establishment bent upon destroying every last vestige of America's culture and values and which has already succeeded in nearly completely eviscerating the rule of law and the fundamental constitutional protections upon which this nation was built?
I absolutely could be wrong, but it is the main thing for me. I am fine with many of his positions and much of what he's trying to accomplish. But, rightly or wrongly, I do not care because his methods "trump" his accomplishments for me. I know, it is illogical.

And, no disrespect, but what values and culture are being destroyed in your opinion?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:24 am
Maddy wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

I absolutely could be wrong, but it is the main thing for me. I am fine with many of his positions and much of what he's trying to accomplish. But, rightly or wrongly, I do not care because his methods "trump" his accomplishments for me. I know, it is illogical.

And, no disrespect, but what values and culture are being destroyed in your opinion?
Family. Sanctity of life. Biological birth sex of humans. Individual responsibility. God. Bill of Rights. Trustworthy politicians. Selflessness.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:38 am

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:22 pm
The trumpsters here are goldbugs right, but if he could get his hands on the printing press he'd crank it all the way up, no?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Economics/comm ... and_urges/
Yes, The printing press or something to that effect. Nobody is Perfect right ? :o
Trump has Treasury Sec. Steve Mnuchin that is a former Goldman Sachs guy, so that is probably where he is coming from.
Along with looking at Liquidity from a Business/Real estate point of view and not a Savers point of view.
So I see them looking for the next quarter numbers.
Liquidity is the fuel for the Markets.(until is isn't)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:02 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Maddy wrote:

Family. Sanctity of life. Biological birth sex of humans. Individual responsibility. God. Bill of Rights. Trustworthy politicians. Selflessness.
Mountaineer, I respect your positions and I know you are a religious man.

But, Trump is a trustworthy politician? And selfless? Certainly that is a great goal of all politicians, but he scores zero on both of those and is not helping the continuing situation where we don't debate anymore, we label and hate those who don't agree with us.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:00 am

Yes. I echo the questions regarding..."trustworthy" "selflessness". And, not Trump but due to the actions of a fellow Republican....was the Iraq War an example of the "Sanctity of life". How many lives, both in Iraq and our country, were tremendously negatively affected by that needless war?

Vinny

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

But, Trump is a trustworthy politician? And selfless? Certainly that is a great goal of all politicians, but he scores zero on both of those and is not helping the continuing situation where we don't debate anymore, we label and hate those who don't agree with us.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 am
I don’t want to put words in your mouth. You think the birth certificate presented was not genuine?
Right.
dualstow wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:13 am
Didn’t that actor/comedian from MadTV (Ike B-something. Barenholtz?) grow up with him in or near Chicago?
I have no idea.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am

Maddy wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

Anything that interferes with the relentless attack of the left on the Constitution and American society in general is "unpresidential", according to the left.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:03 am
Maddy wrote:

Anything that interferes with the relentless attack of the left on the Constitution and American society in general is "unpresidential", according to the left.
"Unpresidential"
That's a joke right?
Attachments
Hopelessly Dependent.png
Hopelessly Dependent.png (265.37 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
Last edited by shekels on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 am

Some truth in the picture. However we do have these corporations who write all the rules and control the country for their benefit first, ours second.

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:06 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Maddy wrote:

shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 am
Some truth in the picture. However we do have these corporations who write all the rules and control the country for their benefit first, ours second.

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote:

That IMHO is why Trump was elected.
To shift away from the Elites Control.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

Well may be one of the reasons. But is he doing it? Are any non-Elites represented in his Cabinet? Is he NOT a servant of the Elites? Is not serving his own interests (as, perhaps, himself being one of the Elites)?

Vinny
shekels wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am
vnatale wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:10 am

Vinny
shekels wrote:
That IMHO is why Trump was elected.
To shift away from the Elites Control.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:32 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:54 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Cortopassi wrote:

My response about values being abolished by the culture were not about Trump, they were about "a thoroughly corrupt political establishment bent upon destroying every last vestige of America's culture and values and which has already succeeded in nearly completely eviscerating the rule of law and the fundamental constitutional protections upon which this nation was built" that was in an earlier post that is not captured in your quote above. The values I mentioned, other than the Bill of Rights, are the bedrock of society as evidenced by several thousand years of history and practice about what enables a somewhat functional society with hopefully, chaos and anarchy reduction, and very little on the fact that I believe the promises of our Trinitarian God. I further think that our Trinitarian God (whether you believe in Him or not) is in charge of all that is happening to achieve His good purposes whether we can understand them or not; you might even say He is giving us exactly what we, as an apparently increasingly Godless country, have wished for. Repentance and faith are a gifts from God, I hope He decides to give it to all of us with ears to hear.

However, since you asked my thoughts about Trump, I'll give my two cents. His morals appear to be sorely lacking, he appears to be very narcissistic (those two characteristics are merely reflections of much of our culture), he appears to value an exceptional America, he appears to put the American citizens (of which he is one) ahead of non-American citizens - both those within and those without our borders (those are reflections of our increasingly culture of the past). I'm not a believer in "the ends justify the means" but in the civil realm (not theological) I can only really evaluate Trump based on what he does, and what he appears to stand for, not primarily on what he says or tweets; in the theological realm, absolute judgement about Trump's heart, his faith, his beliefs, his morals is way above my paygrade and best left to God. Thus, overall, I would give Trump higher marks than most recent presidents for truly putting America closer to the values on which it was founded. I'm sure it is a thankless job, just look at how most presidents have "aged" while in office. I'm also quite sure there is way more to the picture than what is revealed to the majority of us. I'd also say he understands our "celebrity, entertainment, it's all about me" current culture better than any of his adversaries; Trump appears to daily play them like a chess master while they think they are playing checkers. I'm sure his adversaries are not dumb, they just can't see the big picture because of their preconceived notions about how great they are and their feces could not possibly stink so the swamp stench must not be due to themselves. ;)
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.