Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by jacksonM » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:31 pm
jacksonM wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:54 pm
MangoMan wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Then I guess smarts has nothing to do with effective governing or being re-elected.
The idea that some dumbass can be elected president of the United States not once but twice is nothing more than a fantasy on a par with the story of Forrest Gump (or some equally fantastical stories in the Holy Bible if you will).
The idea that some dumbass can sit and deliver news day-in-day out... blah blah. Same shoe other foot. There are plenty of astoundingly stupid people in politics. Add to that, people have their strengths and weaknesses. That doesn't mean they're not exceptionally corrupt AND dim-witted in some key areas. Trump AND the mainstream media carry massive negative traits considering the positions they hold, many of which have simply to do with their lack of deep knowledge on any important issues, but even more have to do with just being sleazeball opportunists. Both are extremely powerful (but only one has their finger on the button). Any attempt (including liberal ones) to be heavily critical of one but chronically defend the other is ridiculous and I refuse to beat around the bullshit on this issue. We can pat our heads and rub our bellies at the same time.
I think I posted a video clip over on the religion thread that showed what some kind of lizard had to go through from the moment of birth without any assistance from either parent who were long gone. Basically it was a gauntlet whereby they had to make it past an obstacle of snakes who were working together, equally amazingly, to eat them for their own survival.

The lizard in the clip made it to the end and joined other lizards somewhere near the ocean and I cheered for him.

Was that lizard simply a dumb creature?

I think not. Evolution had obviously developed some form of innate intelligence in the creature over many years. A human being would never survive what that lizard had to go through, at least at the current state of evolution.

And that's the way I view politicians.The only debate is whether they are snakes or lizards.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:53 pm

Manhattan real estate had a huge turn around in the 90s when Giuliani got tough on crime. Trump was in the right place at the right time. California needs a Giuliani.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:19 am

Is Mueller’s report going out with a whimper? It feels that way.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:43 am

Simonjester wrote: for those who think trump is dumb, try to open something as small as a street cart to sell hot dogs in NY city... not blowing "any" sized fortune, in especially in real estate in a city that big, unionised, regulated, legislated, corrupt, expensive, and mobbed up must take some kind of smarts.
Or maybe just some lessons from daddy and maybe HE is mobbed up and corrupt.

Or maybe just provide some evidence that inherenting half a billion dollars in nyc is almost guaranteed to be a failure. Not just a break-even but a loss of everything. Or maybe you’ve opened up a hotdog stand in NYC and care to share you anecdotal story with us.
Simonjester wrote: I don’t think anybody is saying he didn’t have some excellent advantages, and some good luck thrown in as well. but it still takes a combination of business smarts, street smarts, and political smarts to operate in that environment, even on the hot dog stand level... I haven’t opened a business in a big city, but I have opened a business, but even if they haven’t I would think that most people have enough common sense to see that being without some good measure of the above mentioned "smarts" does in fact pretty much guaranty failure at either the billionaire or the hot dog stand level, and especially so in tough competitive place like NY .

as for the mobbed up comment ...really?..
you don’t think that if that were the case all the democrats and the majority of the republicans wouldn’t have pinned him to wall with it during the primary’s or the very second they caught scent of it..... :(
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 am

a hotdog stand in NYC
Can't help but think of the movie Sleepers. Ugh.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 am

Consider this: Trump was not the only millionaire in NYC in the 1990s. How many of them built a real estate empire and become billionaires? If it were that easy, why didn't more business moguls do the same thing?

People get uncomfortable when comparing themselves to someone who has achieved great success. It's human nature to rationalize it by saying things like "he just got lucky" or "he's actually not as smart as me". Plus, given the strong undercurrent of general hatred for the man, that's bound to translate into stories like that "he inherited $400 million" puff piece, which serve to stoke the fantasy further.

I really don't care about whether he's someone I'd want to have dinner with. I just care about what policies will survive his presidency, and what the effects will be on me and the people I care about. Short-sighted I know, but too bad. On balance, he's been more successful than either Obama or Bush in that regard.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 am
Consider this: Trump was not the only millionaire in NYC in the 1990s. How many of them built a real estate empire and become billionaires? If it were that easy, why didn't more business moguls do the same thing?

People get uncomfortable when comparing themselves to someone who has achieved great success. It's human nature to rationalize it by saying things like "he just got lucky" or "he's actually not as smart as me". Plus, given the strong undercurrent of general hatred for the man, that's bound to translate into stories like that "he inherited $400 million" puff piece, which serve to stoke the fantasy further.

I really don't care about whether he's someone I'd want to have dinner with. I just care about what policies will survive his presidency, and what the effects will be on me and the people I care about. Short-sighted I know, but too bad. On balance, he's been more successful than either Obama or Bush in that regard.
He. Didn’t. Build. Empire.

He expanded a half a billion dollar one to a $???? one, via tax fraud and sleazeball business practices.

Also, plenty of folks probably just coasted on dividends and interest. I actually have more respect for that than trying to do what daddy did and not even beating the s&p 500.

It’s not a “puff piece.” I’m no bag man for NYT, but it’s some solid investigative reporting. That is, if you want to know if your President is a huckster fraud on top of being a general slimeball.

And How has he been “more successful” than Obama or Bush? Because he keeps brown people from wanting to come here?

It amazes me how folks can fold like a lawn chair to rent-seeking capital class fuckwits is beyond me. He’s no better than a lifelong welfare recipient. Even worse, he acts as a poster boy for all the temporarily embarrassed millionaires and hopes that one day they can too “build an empire” from a measly $400 million pittance.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:43 pm
WiseOne wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 am

Whenever someone tells me that Trump is dumb, my answer is "Then he must be the luckiest man in the world!".
Well yeah, a $400 Million inheritance is quite the ovarian lottery.

Getting a 7-10% RoR on your money on real estate, however, is pretty par for the course... perhaps arguably pretty weak.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:11 pm

OTOH, Hillary Clinton is notoriously smart.

It's all so wrong and unfair!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am

Pence?
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

MangoMan wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:27 am
dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 am
Pence?
No, Warren, Hillary, AOC clone who is already past 35yo, Bernie, etc.
LOL to putting Hillary in the same category as AOC.

Speaking of folks "over-playing their hand," as utterly terrible as Hillary was, one thing she WASN'T was a left-wing commie. She was just your typical robotic war-mongering centrist corporatist democrat.

She wasn't going to raise billionaires' taxes to 70%, forgive student loans, or institute a green new deal. But conservatives acted like she was Vladmir Lenin.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:53 am

moda0306 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am
... Hillary ...
But conservatives acted like she was Vladmir Lenin.
According to Roger McNamee's 'Zucked', there is a good reason for that.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm

@moda... love the irony, railing against the press, the Don, Hillary and the previous three moron Republican presidents...and yet where are his narratives coming from?

Personally, I have no personal knowledge of any President in my lifetime. I do know how to spot a narrative being created and continued by their partisans. On the positive side...

Kennedy and Reagan were very good at inspiring Americans and asking us to strive to be our better selves and a better country.

Johnson did more than any single President behind Lincoln to actually advance civil rights

Nixon was pretty good at navigating the bi-polar world that existed at the time

Ford knew job 1 for his tenure was healing a very divided country and filled that role well

I do think Carter was a man of compassion and integrity

Bush 1 was a thoughtful statesman who surrounded himself with probably the best cabinet in my lifetime

Clinton was pretty good at economics and actually did bring the federal deficit down

Bush 2 was fundamentally a very good person and did many good things at an individual/family level that were never advertised and he never wanted them advertised...and he was smart enough to pick probably the best Fed Chairman in history.

Obama had the most rational foreign policy of any US President since Eisenhower and also actually brought the federal deficit down

Trump has been the first president in my life who actually does challenge the status quo and is not afraid to gore some very large oxes that probably need goring.

With regard to intelligence, everyone of them were smart enough to navigate and compete successfully enough to win both their party nomination and the presidency. As a minimum, they all made the right choices to get there and were smart enough to pick the team that helped them win. Everything I’ve ever read or watched about this process indicates it is exceedingly difficult on many levels financial, personal, family, organizational, communicative, and requires the ability to identify and campaign on those issues that motivate voters to pull the lever for them at that particular time in history.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:47 pm

Nice to see some positivity, anyway.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Tough crowd.

To quote Theodore Roosevelt:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
limapsp

Post by limapsp » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:21 am

* looking at the crystal ball *
I would say no. Although during the last elections I was even more sure that this would not happen under any circumstances. How wrong I was! I do not know whether it is funny or scary.
And again, all the media will return to the endless and pointless discussion of Russiagate instead of discussing his real sins and politics while US is becoming the world's largest offshore financial centre. Trump is not a politician. He is a businessman. He and his real estate empire have their own interest in everything. He is a showman.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:12 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 pm
Tough crowd.

To quote Theodore Roosevelt:
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
Yes!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:48 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:26 pm
Any other Victor Davis Hanson fans here? He has a new book out called "The Case for Trump" discussing why Trump should get re-elected. I heard him interviewed on a podcast yesterday discussing the book. He seems like a thoughtful conservative. He doesn't like Trump's bombast, but he likes a lot of his policies. He lives in a farming region that could be described as low-rent (about 15 miles from me, who also lives in a low-rent area), and he seems to understand the frustrations of the lower class voters who elected Trump.

Hanson has his own podcast called The Classicist if anyone is interested.

Just read it. Good book, especially the Ancien Regime chapter.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/04/ ... yemen.html
As a presidential candidate, Donald Trump repeatedly suggested that Saudi Arabia had orchestrated the 9/11 attacks — and that the United States should stop wasting resources on bloody Middle Eastern wars that have no real connection to our national interest.

As president, Trump just vetoed a congressional resolution that would have ended U.S. support for a Saudi war in Yemen that has likely claimed the lives of more than 85,000 children under 5 years old, and triggered the worst humanitarian crisis on planet Earth — so as to defend America’s vital interest in ensuring that the Middle East’s poorest country is ruled by a puppet of Sunni Islamists, instead of Shia ones.
We finally get congress and even the Senate to vote for a resolution to remove our support for the genocide in Yemen, and Trump vetoes it.

The idea that he is an "enemy of the deep state" is ludicrous. He's just another tool of Pompeo, Bolton, Israel, the M-I Complex, etc.

Forget about impeachment or criminal charges for "collusion" or "obstruction"... why don't we start talking about stringing Trump up on war crimes? I'd be curious for anyone who claims to be a libertarian or anarchist to defend Trump at this point. He had the perfect opportunity to withdraw murderous aid and material support without having to burn a ton of political capital, and he didn't even take that.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:21 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm
Forget about impeachment or criminal charges for "collusion" or "obstruction"... why don't we start talking about stringing Trump up on war crimes?
??? ::)

(Sigh) After giving up on pushing collusion he didn't do and obstruction he didn't do to chase war crimes he didn't do, maybe the Democrats will eventually get around to finding a presidential nominee who is actually electable.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Then again, no one thought the GOP had anyone who could beat Hillary.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:02 pm
Not much chance of that. They don't have anyone who could beat Trump.
I have finally come around to this possibility.
Well, we’ll all be “tools” of China in the long run.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:12 pm

Hasn't Trump been the only recent president who has shown any backbone towards China in terms of protecting American trade and intellectual property?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:59 pm

Indeed. I don’t mean the outcome would be any better with the Dems in power.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:01 am

Tyler wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:21 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:51 pm
Forget about impeachment or criminal charges for "collusion" or "obstruction"... why don't we start talking about stringing Trump up on war crimes?
??? ::)

(Sigh) After giving up on pushing collusion he didn't do and obstruction he didn't do to chase war crimes he didn't do, maybe the Democrats will eventually get around to finding a presidential nominee who is actually electable.
Well obviously certain dems are going to campaign for president in 2020. Luckily Republicans also have that option as we prosecute war-criminals of this admin and those-past...

But it won't be "dems" that go after him for war-crimes. Or if it is, it's a very select, unpopular, anti-establishment group of them.

Of course this will never happen. Agents of the state don't like to touch that war-power foreign policy stuff with a 40 foot pole.