Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
24
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
3
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
6
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
15
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
7
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
5
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
3
5%
Other, please elaborate.
2
3%
 
Total votes: 65
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10342
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 pm

I think that’s a fair point, flyingpylon. I don’t know if it accurately reflects the reasons for the majority of these people leaving, but perhaps it doesn’t matter.
”My option is to displace the mayor of New York City and bring in the National Guard -- as the governor, in a state of emergency -- and basically take over the mayor's job," Cuomo said. He quickly added that, "I don't think we are at that point,"
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by l82start » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:11 pm

i am guessing a certain percentage of the people leaving is due to their being government workers.. used to having no accountability, passing the buck, and generally working political jobs where the only thing they really do is play politics to lever into the next one, the culture shock for a career bureaucratic being expected to preform and a business man used to having real world employees who do preform, is probably tough on both sides and leads to contentious relationships..
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 10342
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Contact:

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm

That sounds pretty much like what flyingpylon was saying. It must be true to an extent. But, it seems like there were just a few Nikki Haleys and John Kellys, vs an endless line of others through the revolving door.

Is it really a case of ‘they were the problem’ and Trump was not?
”My option is to displace the mayor of New York City and bring in the National Guard -- as the governor, in a state of emergency -- and basically take over the mayor's job," Cuomo said. He quickly added that, "I don't think we are at that point,"
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3525
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by sophie » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am

If it were just a few people leaving the White House staff I might think that. Some of the people leaving hint at constant bullying, temper tantrums/rages, and gaslighting that sound like there's more going on than just the shift from politics as usual to a business environment.

Shekel, are you serious about your statement about Trump's re-election being "a threat to national security"? That's the single scariest thing I've heard in a very, very long time - that anyone would use such an unsupported and frankly ridiculous statement to justify what amounts to a coup and overturning of a US election. That would do far more damage to our government system than 8 years of Trump's tweets put together.
User avatar
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2397
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by l82start » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:24 am

dualstow wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm
That sounds pretty much like what flyingpylon was saying. It must be true to an extent. But, it seems like there were just a few Nikki Haleys and John Kellys, vs an endless line of others through the revolving door.

Is it really a case of ‘they were the problem’ and Trump was not?
i would say a fare percentage are the problem.. some of it is that trump is undoubtedly an asshole and is abusive, in my experience many leaders/bosses that are driven to succeed in high pressure environments, and who are used to being the shot caller, tend to view everything through a success lens, and everything is either moving towards their vision of success or slowing progress towards it down, and when the people that work with them are seen as an impediment to success (real or imagined) they will be a real prick towards them, the "step or or get out of the way" world view tends to lead to a harsh and unforgiving environment where harsh and unforgiving assholes are trying to get stuff done...
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:07 am

Realistically, the current situation with people coming and going from the administration is probably a combination of all of the factors mentioned previously. I'm sure that includes some people that are nuts, some that think Trump is nuts, and everything in between. I don't claim to know what is really going on and I don't necessarily trust what "sources familiar with the situation" say, so I am left to speculate with everyone else.

One thing is for sure, people will express extreme indignation when they feel that their "way of life" is being disrupted or destroyed and they will go to great lengths to stop it. Many in the political establishment have spent decades of their lives navigating, working, and perpetuating a system of government that has become increasingly distant from what some would call the "real world". These establishment folks are not just going to give all of that up quietly. Trump is the first president in my lifetime to come from outside established political circles and it appears there's a lot of natural resistance to that from all sides of the political spectrum.
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by shekels » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am

sophie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am
If it were just a few people leaving the White House staff I might think that. Some of the people leaving hint at constant bullying, temper tantrums/rages, and gaslighting that sound like there's more going on than just the shift from politics as usual to a business environment.

Shekel, are you serious about your statement about Trump's re-election being "a threat to national security"? That's the single scariest thing I've heard in a very, very long time - that anyone would use such an unsupported and frankly ridiculous statement to justify what amounts to a coup and overturning of a US election. That would do far more damage to our government system than 8 years of Trump's tweets put together.
Sorry, the statement came from the last paragraph in a Bloomberg article by Bill Dudley
"There’s even an argument that the election itself falls within the Fed’s purview. After all, Trump’s reelection arguably presents a threat to the U.S. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nald-trump

So some in the Fed are also Political, So there is one more reason to question their Fiduciary duty to the United States.

Bill Dudley is a senior research scholar at Princeton University’s Center for Economic Policy Studies. He served as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York from 2009 to 2018, and as vice chairman of the Federal Open Market Committee. He was previously chief U.S. economist at Goldman Sachs.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7609
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by moda0306 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 pm

shekels wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am
sophie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am
If it were just a few people leaving the White House staff I might think that. Some of the people leaving hint at constant bullying, temper tantrums/rages, and gaslighting that sound like there's more going on than just the shift from politics as usual to a business environment.

Shekel, are you serious about your statement about Trump's re-election being "a threat to national security"? That's the single scariest thing I've heard in a very, very long time - that anyone would use such an unsupported and frankly ridiculous statement to justify what amounts to a coup and overturning of a US election. That would do far more damage to our government system than 8 years of Trump's tweets put together.
Sorry, the statement came from the last paragraph in a Bloomberg article by Bill Dudley
"There’s even an argument that the election itself falls within the Fed’s purview. After all, Trump’s reelection arguably presents a threat to the U.S. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nald-trump

So some in the Fed are also Political, So there is one more reason to question their Fiduciary duty to the United States.

Bill Dudley is a senior research scholar at Princeton University’s Center for Economic Policy Studies. He served as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York from 2009 to 2018, and as vice chairman of the Federal Open Market Committee. He was previously chief U.S. economist at Goldman Sachs.
Sophie,

What do you consider a “very, very long time?” That statement pales in comparison to what was said by broad swaths of “the right” about Obama.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by technovelist » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:54 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:08 pm
Technovelist,
what is your main reaction when someone suddenly resigns from the current administration or is asked to resign?
- There is something fundamentally wrong here
- Ok, this is part of Trump’s personality problem, but someone with a tougher constitution will come along and it’ll be a better fit to work with the President
- They were wrong for the job anyway / it’s hard to find good help these days
- Other:___________
- Some of the above?
He has never been in government before and is surrounded by enemies.
I'm not surprised that he has had trouble filling a lot of positions with appropriate personnel.
User avatar
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 5647
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by technovelist » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:56 pm

sophie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am
If it were just a few people leaving the White House staff I might think that. Some of the people leaving hint at constant bullying, temper tantrums/rages, and gaslighting that sound like there's more going on than just the shift from politics as usual to a business environment.

Shekel, are you serious about your statement about Trump's re-election being "a threat to national security"? That's the single scariest thing I've heard in a very, very long time - that anyone would use such an unsupported and frankly ridiculous statement to justify what amounts to a coup and overturning of a US election. That would do far more damage to our government system than 8 years of Trump's tweets put together.
And yet there are claims made that it is Trump supporters who are dividing the country into opposing factions?
User avatar
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:01 am

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by shekels » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 am

moda0306 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 pm
shekels wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am
sophie wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am
If it were just a few people leaving the White House staff I might think that. Some of the people leaving hint at constant bullying, temper tantrums/rages, and gaslighting that sound like there's more going on than just the shift from politics as usual to a business environment.

Shekel, are you serious about your statement about Trump's re-election being "a threat to national security"? That's the single scariest thing I've heard in a very, very long time - that anyone would use such an unsupported and frankly ridiculous statement to justify what amounts to a coup and overturning of a US election. That would do far more damage to our government system than 8 years of Trump's tweets put together.
Sorry, the statement came from the last paragraph in a Bloomberg article by Bill Dudley
"There’s even an argument that the election itself falls within the Fed’s purview. After all, Trump’s reelection arguably presents a threat to the U.S. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nald-trump

So some in the Fed are also Political, So there is one more reason to question their Fiduciary duty to the United States.

Bill Dudley is a senior research scholar at Princeton University’s Center for Economic Policy Studies. He served as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York from 2009 to 2018, and as vice chairman of the Federal Open Market Committee. He was previously chief U.S. economist at Goldman Sachs.
Sophie,

What do you consider a “very, very long time?” That statement pales in comparison to what was said by broad swaths of “the right” about Obama.
Yes 0bama caught crap from "the right " So does that make the statement OK?

How many in "the right" that held key positions, could crash the economy and then 0bama's Presidency?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
User avatar
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7609
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:05 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by moda0306 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:36 pm

shekels wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:53 am
moda0306 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:41 pm
shekels wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am


Sorry, the statement came from the last paragraph in a Bloomberg article by Bill Dudley
"There’s even an argument that the election itself falls within the Fed’s purview. After all, Trump’s reelection arguably presents a threat to the U.S. "

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... nald-trump

So some in the Fed are also Political, So there is one more reason to question their Fiduciary duty to the United States.

Bill Dudley is a senior research scholar at Princeton University’s Center for Economic Policy Studies. He served as president of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York from 2009 to 2018, and as vice chairman of the Federal Open Market Committee. He was previously chief U.S. economist at Goldman Sachs.
Sophie,

What do you consider a “very, very long time?” That statement pales in comparison to what was said by broad swaths of “the right” about Obama.
Yes 0bama caught crap from "the right " So does that make the statement OK?

How many in "the right" that held key positions, could crash the economy and then 0bama's Presidency?
I think it's totally reasonable to assess a President as a threat to this country (though I'd like more specifics laid out). I agree that it's a terrible idea to use the deep state to engineer a coup or anything similar. Hence me being an advocate of disassembling the CIA, most of the FBI, vast swaths of the NSA, ICE, DHS, and 2/3 of the military. But what's dangerous is that they have the ability to do so and have done so, not that someone with little power says it out loud.

I don't mind valid assessments of anti-Trump hysteria in certain instances being overblown in the context of modern politics or more crucial issues. What I find ridiculous is folks leaning on the bad arguments and straw-manning the entire "left" as having no valid complaints while simultaneously ignoring the barrage of horse$hit attacks that Obama received... while, of course, he was committing war-crimes, expanding the surveillance state, etc (all of which were valid criticisms, rarely levied by "the right").

Making "the left" into a uniquely duplicitous group, while trying to combine the worst aspects of centrist corporatist war-mongers (Hillary Clinton), radical socialist revolutionaries (Antifa), and hysterical immature feministas into some sort of caricature is utterly ridiculous when juxtaposed against collective behavior of similar wings of "the right." For every AOC there are two Rapey Roy Moore. For every Hillary there is a Jeb. For every antifa nazi-puncher there's a white nationalist planning to shoot up a public locale (if they haven't already).

When AOC has her finger on the button, I'll worry about the soc-dem wing of the Democratic Party taking over. Until then, we have a man-baby with his finger on the button and fascistic police forces (but I repeat myself) at his disposal. Let's be adults and focus on the most powerful and violent powers/institutions in the country and how they should be used or, preferably, disassembled.
Post Reply