Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
38%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
22%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 64
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by flyingpylon » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm

The “winning” has nothing to do with opinion polls.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 pm

pmward wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:04 pm
He stands at a 41% approval rating overall. That's about his average; and his average approval rating is one of the lowest approval ratings of any president in modern history. Even lower than Obama. Not sure there's a lot of "winning" going on there.
Well, I don't think that it would be smart, and I don't agree that not running a candidate against your own party's sitting president is a result of spinelessness.
To die, to sleep
To sleep, perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:09 pm
pmward wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:04 pm
He stands at a 41% approval rating overall. That's about his average; and his average approval rating is one of the lowest approval ratings of any president in modern history. Even lower than Obama. Not sure there's a lot of "winning" going on there.
Well, I don't think that it would be smart, and I don't agree that not running a candidate against your own party's sitting president is a result of spinelessness.
I didn't say that not running a candidate against a sitting president is "spineless" in all cases. But it is in this case. There are Republican politicians that have been very vocal critics of Trump, but they don't have the cajones to really try to do anything about it. The only reason he has "support" of the Republican politicians in congress is simply because they don't have much choice, if they don't go along with Trump then they are basically going along with the Dems. It's a lose/lose more situation.

Either way, I don't think it really matters. As much as I detest Trump as a person, I've already resigned the fact that there is no realistic "lesser evil" apparent at the moment. With even a halfway decent candidate Trump would basically defeat himself. But is there even a halfway decent option willing to run? I don't see one at the moment.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am

Tulsi looks great in a bikini. I'm willing to vote for her. Oh, was that not PC?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 pm

ochotona wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am
Tulsi looks great in a bikini. I'm willing to vote for her. Oh, was that not PC?
She’s beautiful.
Fri, Oct 11: Once again, I am happy for PointedStick. Last I heard, he was all in stocks.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:44 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 pm
ochotona wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:58 am
She’s beautiful.

Citizen's Dividend... free poi and mac salad!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:50 am
I didn't say that not running a candidate against a sitting president is "spineless" in all cases. But it is in this case. There are Republican politicians that have been very vocal critics of Trump, but they don't have the cajones to really try to do anything about it. The only reason he has "support" of the Republican politicians in congress is simply because they don't have much choice, if they don't go along with Trump then they are basically going along with the Dems. It's a lose/lose more situation.
Well, I meant that to mean Trump, not just in general. Because I would agree with you if the president was utterly failing and nobody liked him. But if 90% of his party likes him and he's moving the ball forward, that's not enough of a reason to get rid of him. There was one guy who left the Republican party because he doesn't like Trump (Amash, from Michigan), which is certainly putting your money where your mouth is.
Either way, I don't think it really matters. As much as I detest Trump as a person, I've already resigned the fact that there is no realistic "lesser evil" apparent at the moment. With even a halfway decent candidate Trump would basically defeat himself. But is there even a halfway decent option willing to run? I don't see one at the moment.
That's the spirit ;D
To die, to sleep
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Yang. I'd use the $1000 a month to buy gold bullion. Of course it would buy a less and less gold per month...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Yang seems like a really good dude.
To die, to sleep
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:29 pm
Well, I meant that to mean Trump, not just in general. Because I would agree with you if the president was utterly failing and nobody liked him. But if 90% of his party likes him and he's moving the ball forward, that's not enough of a reason to get rid of him. There was one guy who left the Republican party because he doesn't like Trump (Amash, from Michigan), which is certainly putting your money where your mouth is.
Jeff Flake gave up his seat because of Trump as well, and has publicly stated that the U.S. would be better with a Dem president in 2020 than with Trump. There are other quotes I've read (though I didn't save links so they are not handy) of Republican congressmen making negative comments about Trump and his policies. Trump is doing more harm than good, and I think most of the actual Republican politicians realize this. Most of his policies are completely opposite of traditional Republican policies, as such they are opposite of most of the Republican congressmen. His brainwashed lay-followers on the other hand would still cheer for him regardless of what he did. He literally could repeat everything Hitler did, and they would still cheer. Most of the lay-Republicans are uneducated and are just happy he is not Obama, Bernie, AOC, or have the last name Clinton HAHA. So I don't put much weight into the Republican only approval ratings. His historically low overall approval rating tells the real story.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Yang, yup. I like him.
Fri, Oct 11: Once again, I am happy for PointedStick. Last I heard, he was all in stocks.
drumminj

Post by drumminj » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:28 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:07 pm
His brainwashed lay-followers on the other hand would still cheer for him regardless of what he did.
Do we really need the ad-hominems here? You may not like someone, and disagree with their behaviors or policies, but are you really intending to say that anyone reading here who supports our sitting president is "brainwashed"????

Edit: "to" -> "who"
Last edited by drumminj on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.