Will Trump be Re-elected?

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Will Trump be Re-elected?

Trump is more effective than people are willing to admit [ala Scott Adams] and will be re-elected.
37%
Hillary will run again in 2020, and thus Trump will beat her again.
5%
Trump will cause the GOP to lose one or both houses of congress in the mid-term elections.
9%
The Dems in congress will be so insufferable, Trumps wins by a small margin despite them.
23%
Trump will choose not to run for re-election, since he never really wanted the job anyway.
11%
Trump is a disaster and will lose by a landslide.
8%
Trump will not only lose, but will lose to a candidate so far to the left that people will wish he'd stayed.
5%
Other, please elaborate.
3%

Total votes: 65
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Will Trump be Re-elected?

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:59 pm
I frankly don't understand anyone who has a romantic view of "the press." It really is a joke in many ways.
I'm not sure what you mean by a romantic view, but...take it all away and see if you miss it, imperfect as it is.
Speaking of Piper tho... has anyone seen "They Live?" I absolutely have to see that again.
Is that the one in which the protagonist can see aliens (otherwise disguised as humans) through special glasses, or the creepy monstery show with that guy (now deceased) who played Tiny in the Rob Zombie movies?
RIP Daniel Kahneman | Happy Good Friday
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:55 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm
moda0306 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:59 pm
I frankly don't understand anyone who has a romantic view of "the press." It really is a joke in many ways.
I'm not sure what you mean by a romantic view, but...take it all away and see if you miss it, imperfect as it is.
Speaking of Piper tho... has anyone seen "They Live?" I absolutely have to see that again.
Is that the one in which the protagonist can see aliens (otherwise disguised as humans) through special glasses, or the creepy monstery show with that guy (now deceased) who played Tiny in the Rob Zombie movies?
To the Piper question, it's the ones with the "aliens" and glasses.

To the other one, I mean "romantic" in the gag-inducing sense of thinking that the media by and whole being now or really ever an "objective, principled reporter of facts and blah blah blah..."

Of course, there are exceptions, but they've always been exceptions. Never the rule.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:33 pm

AP is pretty good.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:03 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:59 pm
stuper1 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:23 pm
And I would say that you are naive. Do you think the press is performing this vital function just from the goodness of their heart?
No, not at all. Although I do think there is no shortage of journalists who are passionate about journalism. They don't say to themselves, "I'd like to go into the field of Being a Corporate Tool."
To be fair, I think a lot of the press propaganda is not done deliberately by the actual writer but is the result of psychological manipulation upon the journalist. For example, a young journalist writes a sob story about children being held in cages at the border, because they truly feel bad for those children.
Agree.
The publisher chooses to prominently use the story because he/she knows it will please his/her corporate masters who want open borders. This is a very simplistic example.
Certainly possible.
Of course, they never tell us that those "cages" are just regular chain-link fencing, that Obama did substantially the same thing, and that the real blame lies with the illegal immigrant parents for bringing their children into that situation in the first place.
Well, as I said, the press comes in many different forms. How did you find out about the fact stated above?
How did I find the fact above? I just looked at the photo that went along with the article claiming that Trump was a monster for putting kids in cages. I saw a chainlink fence, just like the one around my kids' school, so I guess my kids are being kept in cages too. As far as where the real blame lies, I just thought to myself, "how does a 6-year old get to be crossing an international border in the first place?" As to whether Obama did the same thing, I probably read that on an alternative to the mainstrain media website.

I have no love affair with Trump, but I think he's better than what the Democrats were/are offering. Whatever will get us to smaller government is my preference. Government is not the solution; it's the problem.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:08 am

stuper1 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:03 pm
And I would say that you are naive. Do you think the press is performing this vital function just from the goodness of their heart?
No, not at all. Although I do think there is no shortage of journalists who are passionate about journalism. They don't say to themselves, "I'd like to go into the field of Being a Corporate Tool."

[/quote]

Passion is very easily squashed once you enter the corporate environment. The pressure to think and speak a certain way comes from the top. That's why I can easily believe that a journalist who genuinely thinks they're following best practices and doing the right thing, can produce articles that say things like "After Trump did X, Y happened" and imply that Y occurred solely due to X. However, often there are causative factors Z and W that are not mentioned, and are unrelated to X. Or, Y actually pre-dates X, which means it couldn't possibly be due to X. Regardless of how creepy and ridiculous X is, it still doesn't make the implication true.

OK so I haven't actually worked at a major newspaper so how would I know about this? I'm extrapolating from my own experience working in a place that's supposed to be immune from such things (academic freedom and all that). Example: In the last few weeks we've been bombarded daily with in person, emailed, and written demands to sign up for Doximity and vote for our hospital to get the US News & World Report "best" rating. Which means that those ratings are being manipulated without even a pretense of subtlety. I can only imagine that it would be even worse at a major media organization.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 am

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:08 am
stuper1 wrote:
(dual)No, not at all. Although I do think there is no shortage of journalists who are passionate about journalism. They don't say to themselves, "I'd like to go into the field of Being a Corporate Tool."
Passion is very easily squashed once you enter the corporate environment. The pressure to think and speak a certain way comes from the top. That's why I can easily believe that a journalist who genuinely thinks they're following best practices and doing the right thing, can produce articles that say things like "After Trump did X, Y happened" and imply that Y occurred solely due to X.
<snip>I can only imagine that it would be even worse at a major media organization.
No doubt. Again, I don't think anyone here is saying the press is perfect, but I'm insisting it's still indispensable. On other forums, it would be stating the obvious, but over here, I'm not so sure.

I remember chatting w/ an older guy who said he believes 70% of what he reads in the paper. Sounds fine to me. O0 He was Palestinian -- I don't know if that colored his attitude toward the media before he came to the States.

One thing is certain: local news in the US is dying out fast, and that is most definitely the fault of news corporations.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:14 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 am
dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 am
WiseOne wrote:

Passion is very easily squashed once you enter the corporate environment. The pressure to think and speak a certain way comes from the top. That's why I can easily believe that a journalist who genuinely thinks they're following best practices and doing the right thing, can produce articles that say things like "After Trump did X, Y happened" and imply that Y occurred solely due to X.
<snip>I can only imagine that it would be even worse at a major media organization.
No doubt. Again, I don't think anyone here is saying the press is perfect, but I'm insisting it's still indispensable. On other forums, it would be stating the obvious, but over here, I'm not so sure.

I remember chatting w/ an older guy who said he believes 70% of what he reads in the paper. Sounds fine to me. O0 He was Palestinian -- I don't know if that colored his attitude toward the media before he came to the States.

One thing is certain: local news in the US is dying out fast, and that is most definitely the fault of news corporations.
An actual press that reported facts and distinguished them from opinion would be indispensable.
If we had one.

At this point, what we have is propaganda, not news.
So where do you get most of your "news" with facts, completely divorced from opinion?

Further, your description of aversion to facts seems to be as true of Trump as it is of the media. You seem to have selective outrage for factless reporting.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am

Moda (and maybe others), you need to spend some time overseas. It really opens your eyes to the problems with the American press.

I've had extensive stays in both the Soviet Union (i.e. pre-breakup) and Kenya. In the USSR I was traveling with a Moscow native, and got to see some samples of Pravda (which means Truth, a very orwellian name). We usually think of Pravda as the ultimate propaganda tool, but it was in fact very similar to any American newspaper. I remember being surprised at that, I was expecting heavy handed government pronouncements and little actual news.

In Kenya, the local newspapers (when you managed to get them) were something of a joke: they'd get the date wrong, make silly printing mistakes etc. But, the articles were the most informative pieces I'd ever read! Despite how unpolished they were, there was a refreshing absence of propaganda, manipulation etc. They just told it like it is. At the time, there was a ton of information on what was happening in the West Bank & Palestinian territories that were not EVER being reported back in the US. I clipped the articles to mail to family & friends, and I genuinely missed the paper when I returned home. It was quite an eye opening experience. It's where my deep distrust of the press comes from. So no, I don't think the press is indispensable. Genuine reporting is indispensable, but that's not what they do. Independent reporters with their own websites and no corporate governance would be ideal, as long as they don't end up getting tagged as "fake news".

I also had brought a world-band radio with me to Kenya. I still have it. Maybe I should dust it off and try it. There are bound to be some non-US-controlled channels with good reception.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:23 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 am
WiseOne wrote:
stuper1 wrote:
(dual)No, not at all. Although I do think there is no shortage of journalists who are passionate about journalism. They don't say to themselves, "I'd like to go into the field of Being a Corporate Tool."
I think the people who frequent this forum must be a little dimmer than average. Maybe if you type very slowly, o r p u t e x t r a s p a c e s i n y o u r p o s t s , we will be able to understand easier.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:35 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am
Moda (and maybe others), you need to spend some time overseas. It really opens your eyes to the problems with the American press.

I've had extensive stays in both the Soviet Union (i.e. pre-breakup) and Kenya. In the USSR I was traveling with a Moscow native, and got to see some samples of Pravda (which means Truth, a very orwellian name). We usually think of Pravda as the ultimate propaganda tool, but it was in fact very similar to any American newspaper. I remember being surprised at that, I was expecting heavy handed government pronouncements and little actual news.

In Kenya, the local newspapers (when you managed to get them) were something of a joke: they'd get the date wrong, make silly printing mistakes etc. But, the articles were the most informative pieces I'd ever read! Despite how unpolished they were, there was a refreshing absence of propaganda, manipulation etc. They just told it like it is. At the time, there was a ton of information on what was happening in the West Bank & Palestinian territories that were not EVER being reported back in the US. I clipped the articles to mail to family & friends, and I genuinely missed the paper when I returned home. It was quite an eye opening experience. It's where my deep distrust of the press comes from. So no, I don't think the press is indispensable. Genuine reporting is indispensable, but that's not what they do. Independent reporters with their own websites and no corporate governance would be ideal, as long as they don't end up getting tagged as "fake news".

I also had brought a world-band radio with me to Kenya. I still have it. Maybe I should dust it off and try it. There are bound to be some non-US-controlled channels with good reception.
WiseOne,

I'm probably not being clear. I think the US media is mostly a joke, and your example of how we cover (or don't) the Israel/Palestine conflict coverage is a massive reason.

All I'm saying is that we should look upon our establishment press with a similar disdain as an equally factless, witless, unprincpled Trumpanzee with his finger on the button. That is all. I realize how important being critical of the media is. It's also important to be critical of the most powerful person in the world in charge of the largest killing machine in the history of the world.

I do disagree a bit though with the "facts vs opinions" measuring stick of media coverage. At the very least, yes, you want the "facts" to be correct, but simply deciding what to cover and how to cover it is laden with either stated or unstated value propositions. I prefer them to be stated. I find that good journalism clearly states biases & values, but also has a pretty strict adherence to facts in its attempt to engage in the journalism that reflects those biases & values.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:43 pm

What was Trump's net worth when he was 20 years old? What is his net worth now? I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing that his net worth now is quite a bit higher than when he was 20 years old, even though he started from a high number to begin with.

Just based on those numbers, whatever they may be, for you to call him "witless" makes me question your judgment on the matter.

Certainly, the guy is not everybody's cup of tea, but I don't think he's stupid.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:00 pm

WiseOne wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am

I've lived in Moscow and I had the opposite experience, although my command Russian is not great. Pravda and Novosti- they say there is no news in 'Truth', and no truth in 'News.' O0 I tend to agree with "them" (Russian residents).
<snip>
It's where my deep distrust of the press comes from. So no, I don't think the press is indispensable. Genuine reporting is indispensable, but that's not what they do.
WiseOne, you sound a little bit like stuper here, reclassifying what you do like as something other than the press. The Kenyan papers are the press. Stuper's non-mainstream sites are the press. Reporting is a subset of the press.

If you all feel cynicism about mainstream media like CNN and the NYT, fine. Maybe we're just talking past each other. But stuper, those pictures you saw of people in cages, they come from the press. You can see images from non-news-affiliated individuals these days, and that's an important check against mainstream media. But any words they write are going to have a spin of their own.

It's fine to be cynical and critical, but I think people are taking what they have for granted. Without it, we'd be back in dark, living off rumors. Flawed as the media is, it's better than the dark.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm

Ok, so if we changed the statement to say, "The mainstream media is the enemy of the people", would that be more palatable?

That's how I took the statement in the first place, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:14 pm
Ok, so if we changed the statement to say, "The mainstream media is the enemy of the people", would that be more palatable?
It's not about palatable.
Anyway, variety of opinion is what makes the world go round. I would say, "the media is deeply flawed, as are most things." If your mother says she loves you, verify your sources.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:43 pm
What was Trump's net worth when he was 20 years old? What is his net worth now? I don't know the numbers, but I'm guessing that his net worth now is quite a bit higher than when he was 20 years old, even though he started from a high number to begin with.

Just based on those numbers, whatever they may be, for you to call him "witless" makes me question your judgment on the matter.

Certainly, the guy is not everybody's cup of tea, but I don't think he's stupid.
If you look at the reporting done on his inheritance, it's believed to have been over $400 million between 3 and 58. For ease of figuring, and considering how many schemes they were running at a young age, if we assume the weighted average of the contributions was at the age of 40, all someone would have to do would be to earn an 8% net RoR to accumulate 4.4 Billion by the age of 70.

Someone who's great at making deals should have been able to eclipse that significantly.

Now he's probably not dumb in every sense, but he doesn't seem to have a deep understanding of any topic pertinent to the presidency, and his bonafides as a private sector winner are mostly in the sleazebag department, not "making great deals." Even the writer of his "Art of the Deal" book has said he's essentially a dimwit.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... ogin-email

People's excuse-making for such a man who sun-downs with his finger on the button while ridiculing the admittedly awful media is something more entertaining to behold than most of what "The Left" has to offer.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Interesting. I never had seen actual numbers before. I didn't realize his inheritance was that big. I was thinking say $20 million.

Anyway, there's plenty of rich people who have lost their total inheritance.

I'm no more worried about Trump having his finger on the button than I was with Bush 43. Now that guy always seemed like a dimwit to me. I think Trump is more a crazy like a fox kind of guy.

Of the choices available in 2016, who do you think we should have voted for?
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:09 pm

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:51 pm
Interesting. I never had seen actual numbers before. I didn't realize his inheritance was that big. I was thinking say $20 million.

Anyway, there's plenty of rich people who have lost their total inheritance.

I'm no more worried about Trump having his finger on the button than I was with Bush 43. Now that guy always seemed like a dimwit to me. I think Trump is more a crazy like a fox kind of guy.

Of the choices available in 2016, who do you think we should have voted for?
Not to derail the conversation, but anyone who can fly F-102 fighter jets is not a dimwit. ;)

https://www.456fis.org/PRESIDENT_BUSH_&_THE_F-102.htm
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am

I didn't say Pravda was good, only that it's no different from our own mainstream hack rags. There's no "news" in them either - good saying. Also, I'm not arguing that the press shouldn't cover Trump's buffoonery and reactions to it. I just don't like how they do more than simply report - they use it to invent connections that have absolutely no supporting evidence other than the prevailaing narrative. Also also, totally in agreement that opinions and speculation should be described as such. I like reading opinion pieces - I just prefer them to be tagged that way, e.g. in an "opinion" section, or perhaps a paragraph at the end of a front page article starting with "this is my biased opinion."

It is a good idea to separate "the press" from current mainstream news-consumer outlets with (IMHO) zero credibility, if that's what you're advocating. Outside of these, the press is worth protecting. I do try to use the phrase "mainstream press" to emphasize this difference, but I get lazy sometimes.

Also should point out: a lot of the right-wing news outlets are no better than CNN, NYT etc as info sources. Maybe we could turn this discussion to identifying news sources that we all think are truly reliable. That would be: staffed by journalists who consistently display professional integrity, no inherent conflicts of interest such as ownership by an entity with ulterior motives. A blog run by a few people who escaped from their jobs at CNN maybe, supported by ads and reader contributions?
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:30 am

moda0306 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Now he's probably not dumb in every sense, but he doesn't seem to have a deep understanding of any topic pertinent to the presidency, and his bonafides as a private sector winner are mostly in the sleazebag department, not "making great deals." Even the writer of his "Art of the Deal" book has said he's essentially a dimwit.

I looked this up out of genuine interest. Some serious background digging by the Times? Let's see it!!
Much of this money came to Mr. Trump because he helped his parents dodge taxes. He and his siblings set up a sham corporation to disguise millions of dollars in gifts from their parents, records and interviews show. Records indicate that Mr. Trump helped his father take improper tax deductions worth millions more. He also helped formulate a strategy to undervalue his parents’ real estate holdings by hundreds of millions of dollars on tax returns, sharply reducing the tax bill when those properties were transferred to him and his siblings.
By the end of the article, my b-s detector had gone off enough times that I'm afraid I can't take this seriously. For starters, how could he "help" his father make improper tax deductions? Isn't the father in question the one responsible for his tax return, and doesn't he have an army of tax accountants and attorneys involved? This is sort of like the Michael Cohen kindergarten-level "he made me do it" defense. Also, a later paragraph claims that gifts made during life should be subject to the inheritance tax. I can only assume that the author of this little opus has no idea how taxes actually work.

In point of fact, there is an entire industry devoted to minimizing to organizing wealth into trusts, gifts etc in order to circumvent inheritance taxes. That the Trump family did these things should be no surprise. In fact, if they DIDN'T do these things then I think you'd have a legitimate reason to consider them stupid.

Well so much for that bit of yellow journalism. :-) BTW please don't take this as "WiseOne is a major Trump fan and he can do no wrong." This is just not the right way to go about making the case for behavior/actions unbecoming the Presidency.
WiseOne
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WiseOne » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 am

moda0306 wrote:

I looked this up out of genuine interest. Some serious background digging by the Times? Let's see it!!
Much of this money came to Mr. Trump because he helped his parents dodge taxes. He and his siblings set up a sham corporation to disguise millions of dollars in gifts from their parents, records and interviews show. Records indicate that Mr. Trump helped his father take improper tax deductions worth millions more. He also helped formulate a strategy to undervalue his parents’ real estate holdings by hundreds of millions of dollars on tax returns, sharply reducing the tax bill when those properties were transferred to him and his siblings.
By the end of the article, my b-s detector had gone off enough times that I'm afraid I can't take this seriously. For starters, how could he "help" his father make improper tax deductions? Isn't the father in question the one responsible for his tax return, and doesn't he have an army of tax accountants and attorneys involved? This is sort of like the Michael Cohen kindergarten-level "he made me do it" defense. Also, a later paragraph claims that gifts made during life should be subject to the inheritance tax. I can only assume that the author of this little opus has no idea how taxes actually work. Small wonder that these moves "met with minimal resistance from the IRS."

In point of fact, there is an entire industry devoted to organizing wealth into trusts, gifts etc in order to circumvent inheritance taxes. That the Trump family did these things should be no surprise. In fact, if they DIDN'T do these things then I think you'd have a legitimate reason to consider them stupid.

Well so much for that bit of yellow journalism. :-) BTW please don't take this as "WiseOne is a major Trump fan and he can do no wrong." This is just not the right way to go about making the case for behavior/actions unbecoming the Presidency.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 am

@WiseOne: understood.
WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am
Maybe we could turn this discussion to identifying news sources that we all think are truly reliable.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2960
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:49 am

WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:15 am
It is a good idea to separate "the press" from current mainstream news-consumer outlets with (IMHO) zero credibility, if that's what you're advocating. Outside of these, the press is worth protecting. I do try to use the phrase "mainstream press" to emphasize this difference, but I get lazy sometimes.
Until relatively recently, it was understood that every publication had an opinion, and there was no pretense of objectivity, only competition among opinions. I don't know whether that model is better than the "objective" model. Perhaps the former is better only because the latter isn't truly obtainable. And I certainly believe that journalistic ethics should prevail even in an opinionated publication.

It's also worth keeping in mind that our freedom of the press was invented precisely in order to protect opinionated publications, not objective ones. Of course freedom of the press must apply to ALL press, or else you have the problem of who decides what's objective and what isn't.
WiseOne wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 am
Also, a later paragraph claims that gifts made during life should be subject to the inheritance tax. I can only assume that the author of this little opus has no idea how taxes actually work.
The gift tax and the inheritance tax are really one and the same: if you give more than the annual exemption in any given year, then the gift starts to count against your inheritance exemption, and once that's gone, it's fully taxable. So all gifts made during life really are considered by the IRS to be "pre-inheritance".
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:27 pm

moda0306 wrote:

I wonder why it is that every Republican president in my lifetime has been a dumbass even worse than the one before while every democrat has been a genius.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm

How old are you? Bush I was certainly smarter than Reagan.
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:12 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm
How old are you? Bush I was certainly smarter than Reagan.
Just a youngster. Turning 70 in June. Truman was president when I was born.

Teddy Kennedy made some interesting and favorable observations about Reagan's intellect, especially at his age.

But that was back before the time when Democrats were forbidden to say anything nice at all about Republicans. Now Joe Biden gets into trouble just for suggesting that Pence is a "decent man" even though his kids go/went to a Christian school (or his wife teaches at one or something. Can't remember which).