Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by dualstow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:26 pm

technovelist wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:47 am
dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 am
technovelist wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:35 am

That was far before Trump's supposed "innovative" use of emergency declarations, so I don't understand the relevance.
Why does the passage of time make it irrelevant?
I don't understand the claim that Trump's use of an emergency declaration means that a future President is more likely to issue a confiscation order when the precedent is much older than that.
I see. Sophie was making the case for Trump's recent "emergency" setting a precedent and you responded that the president doesn't have the power to suddenly tax. When I mentioned gold, it was just as an example of where-there's-a-will-there's-a-way, i.e. it wouldn't necessarily come in the form of a tax or be called a tax. I didn't mean the gold seizure itself as a sort of precedent that set things in motion.
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:14 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:26 pm
technovelist wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:47 am
dualstow wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:05 am

Why does the passage of time make it irrelevant?
I don't understand the claim that Trump's use of an emergency declaration means that a future President is more likely to issue a confiscation order when the precedent is much older than that.
I see. Sophie was making the case for Trump's recent "emergency" setting a precedent and you responded that the president doesn't have the power to suddenly tax. When I mentioned gold, it was just as an example of where-there's-a-will-there's-a-way, i.e. it wouldn't necessarily come in the form of a tax or be called a tax. I didn't mean the gold seizure itself as a sort of precedent that set things in motion.
Yes, but the point I was trying to make is that previous Presidents have done all kinds of obviously unconstitutional things, but Trump hasn't done anything like that, as far as I'm aware. Thus, I don't see his actions (so far) as contributing to that problem.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:18 pm

> I have no idea whether you were born in this country or how old you are. I was born in the mid-1960s. I can certainly say that the America I live in today is quite different from the one I grew up in. I don't think the changes are for the better.

You're about 10 years older than me. Describe what you've personally seen and how it compares to the mass media narratives =)
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am
jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am
What's wrong with this picture...

The screenshot is from Bing news. Here is the link to the actual story. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/price-of-i ... ive-years/. Do you think it was just a mistake or does any negative story just get a photo of Trump by default?

I also noticed they used his "Douche-level-7" face rather than 8-10 (or 5-6 (he doesn't have a 1-4)).

Not only is he not even mentioned in the article, but the timeframe analyzed is 2012 thru 2016. Nothing of 2017 or 2018. No mention of republicans either.

Trump is a complete embarrassment of a human and President, but this isn't his baby.
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:55 am
I'd say it's a algo issue (I see stories with headline pics that don't make sense all the time), or else they're blaming it on Trump. No doubt the algo issue is a low priority-fix, since they're probably getting all kinds of clicks from people who assume it's going to bash Trump on his insulin-policy.

Or maybe they're taking a page from those paid clickbait links at the bottom of news stories. You know the ones: "NY State Drivers Should Read This!" and there's a picture of a hot chick seductively leaning on a barn or whatever.

:D
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm

That's a good one. And yet we'll have to put up with the same people preaching to us that Trump is an outrageous threat to free speech when he calls them "fake news". Anybody who believes anything fed to them by the mainstream media deserves everything they get.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:59 am

stuper1 wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:47 pm
That's a good one. And yet we'll have to put up with the same people preaching to us that Trump is an outrageous threat to free speech when he calls them "fake news". Anybody who believes anything fed to them by the mainstream media deserves everything they get.
lol. What do they get?
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:05 am

Fake news
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:21 am

What is the pejorative "mainstream" media? ABC, NBC, CBS, and I assume FOX and CNN as well?

Or is it whatever media that doesn't have your point of view?

I hate the discourse in this country lately.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Me too.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:10 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:21 am
What is the pejorative "mainstream" media? ABC, NBC, CBS, and I assume FOX and CNN as well?

Or is it whatever media that doesn't have your point of view?

I hate the discourse in this country lately.
Trumps rating system:

worst= CNN, MSNBC, NYT, WaPo
next= ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR

I don't he considers Fox fake as they are mostly on his side.

I agree, the discourse is awful.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:41 am

It's definitely getting harder to read the news. You have to really look for the bits of actual information, buried in the spew of opinion. Some of it is well justified, but a lot is based on nothing whatsoever.

The last article I read in the hopes of getting some actual information was about the health care bill that passed the Senate, to limit surprise billing. For some reason I thought that was important :-). After the promising title, the article went on a huge and frankly irrelevant anti-Trump spew, and then buried in the middle was a statement something like "For information on what's actually in the bill go the this link."

I went to the link and didn't bother reading the rest of the article. I wonder what proportion of the US population is reacting the same way and turning off to news? The answer may well be an important factor in the 2020 election.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 am

What's the saying... The news used to tell you that something happened, then you had to decide what you thought about it. Now the news tells you how to think about something, and you have to figure out if it even happened.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel