Moderator: Global Moderator

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:02 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:56 pm
I am listening to his press conf right now. I need alcohol. They all might as well be blowing him.
Stock market seems to like it.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:04 pm

Yeah, this is a much better than the one on Wed. The one on Wed sent people into a panic, as evidenced by the market. This one helped put people at ease, also as evidenced by the market. I also do not think it was unintentional that they had this scheduled to cover the market close.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:26 pm

Hah! The timing, I hadn’t thought of that!
Ooh, OAN (news channel) asking about how some Chinese officials are suggesting that the U.S. created this virus. That really is an awful thing coming not from some guy in the wumaodang but from the Foreign Ministry!
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:28 pm

They had the Dow off to the side during the conference. Don’t know if it was real time or delayed.

Regardless, all the grade and high schools are now closed here. I heard nothing giving me any confidence. They are still talking about more testing in the future. The lady doc held up a flowchart. One side was no symptoms, no test. Not sure how that will help limit spread when if, say you’ve been around someone but aren’t showing symptoms, you can’t get a test.

The almost 100% comeback from yesterday, if based off this press conf, was unwarranted. My opinion.

And I am so damn tired about how America is the best at everything. I picture every non US person watching rolling their eyes.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:39 pm

Haha, I think we are lucky the market closed before the Q&A, because this has devolved into a circus show very quickly!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:44 pm

I know the people need answers, but I felt a kind of relief when journalists’ mics were cut as they tried a second aggressive question. And they were cut so promptly! O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:18 pm

My wife is of Chinese descent.

I am interested to know if Trump calling it the Chinese Virus is offensive to you.

If it started in Italy, or Canada, do you think he'd be calling it the Italian Virus or the Canadian Virus?

*Yes, I know there's the Spanish Flu, but that was 100 years ago.*

Italy has now surpassed China in deaths. If restaurants and areas were still open, do you think Americans would stop patronizing Little Italy's and Italian restaurants like we did Chinatowns?

*Please don't deflect and post links to stories that he wasn't the first one to call it the Chinese virus. I will grant you that. But he is continuing it.*
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:18 pm

I am interested to know if Trump calling it the Chinese Virus is offensive to you.

If it started in Italy, or Canada, do you think he'd be calling it the Italian Virus or the Canadian Virus?

Italy has now surpassed China in deaths. If restaurants and areas were still open, do you think Americans would stop patronizing Little Italy's and Italian restaurants like we did Chinatowns?

*Please don't deflect and post links to stories that he wasn't the first one to call it the Chinese virus. I will grant you that. But he is continuing it.*
I'd say I'm mildly offended, but also not surprised at Trump's vernacular.

The issue with the word "Chinese" is that it's ambiguous. Chinese may refer to someone's ethnicity, but it may also simply refer to someone's nationality.

For instance, if you are Caucasian but from China, you are Chinese.

If Trump is referring to nationality, I'm not super offended. If he means it in terms of ethnicity, super offended.
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm
If Trump is referring to nationality, I'm not super offended. If he means it in terms of ethnicity, super offended.
What about if Trump clearly meant the country of China, but the media tries to twist it into ethnicity despite the fact that he explicitly said that was not the reason and yet the media persists?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:18 pm

German measles? Ebola is named after a region that is named after a river. It's just not a well-known placename.

My beloved is also of Chinese descent, 100%. Her opinion is not any different from Trump's. It came from China.
The Left & Dems are going ape-sh*t, saying he's a racist.
I think that what lies between is that people who are already racist might be a little more emboldened to be obnoxious about it.

They probably would have in the past when Italians were the victims of racism and heavily discriminated against. Nowadays, anyone who is white is "in the club" and the more different you are (black, Chinese), the longer it takes for racism to be overcome.

EDIT: while composing this and previewing, I saw Smith's response. Yeah, Kung-flu is obviously racist. I wouldn't be too excited if this started in Israel and people called it Jew-flu. That'll happen someday. But Chinese is vague. Maybe they should call it the Wuhan virus?
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:22 pm
What about if Trump clearly meant the country of China, but the media tries to twist it into ethnicity despite the fact that he explicitly said that was not the reason and yet the media persists?
I'd say Trump should have been smart enough to avoid the world "Chinese" to begin with, and sidestep this whole kerfuffle. But we all know he's really not that smart. :o
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm

There are weeks of reporters from many networks all calling it the Chinese /town name virus (you can find them on YouTube)

History is full of flu’s being named by location.

Smith: Trump purposely called it that. He’s not going to let left wing turkeys tell us what words are and aren’t acceptable.

Has the board been taken over by SJWs?
Last edited by Benko on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm

Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:34 pm

Kung flu is racist? So the majority here really see it as racist and not simply a joke?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:36 pm

Also: Japanese encephalitis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_encephalitis
Benko wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:34 pm
Kung flu is racist? So the majority here really see it as racist and not simply a joke?
It's racist because it's a joke.

Everything mentioned above is serious and geographical.
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:39 pm

As a stand up comedian who is Chinese, I have probably said more racist things about Asians than everyone on this forum and Trump combined.

Then again, much like how Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle have social license to make black jokes, I suppose I have social license to do the same with my ethnicity.

I personally don't really care what he says. Not that it's not socially important (don't want to create a slippery slope), I just don't give a damn about the man.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:59 pm

Guess what guys, humans are racist. We all make distinctions based on people's races. Trump realizes that and doesn't back away from it. I still haven't seen him setting up any death camps and shipping people off based on their race. Wake me up when he does. Until then, I for one enjoy having a showman as President. At least he's not boring like the rest of the stale, pale, male presidents and even one stale, unpale, male president. The presidential office is so irrelevant anyway that I would just as soon have someone flamboyant as president to at least make the news conferences interesting.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:00 pm

I've definitely quoted Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle.

I guess after Smith or Ali Wong is recorded making the joke -- and I know it'll be something more clever than "kung flu" -- we'll be saying, "Hey did you see _____ talking about the coronovirus? .... Brilliant!"

We need that protective envelope.
Humans are complicated.

No, obviously, it's the spirit in which these things are said.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:26 pm

Benko wrote:
I think it's a Racist joke.

I can't comment on what the majority here think.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:57 pm

Dieter wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:26 pm
Benko wrote:
I think it's a Racist joke.

I can't comment on what the majority here think.
It’s either racist or ignorant.

My wife worked at an engineering firm for many years. At least on one occasion in an elevator, a conversation started between her and an older white engineer that ended with “you speak English really well.” And she’d respond that she was born here.

It is too easy to discriminate when people look or speak differently. I don’t hope anymore that Trump will change. Cmon he doesn’t use it because it came from there. He uses it because it tweaks people. He could just as easily call it Covid 19 or coronavirus. It was a conscious, and I’d say poor choice.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:59 pm

"Chinese virus" isn't offensive to me at all. I also think "kung-flu" is hilarious.

IRL, I call it "the Wuhan," usually while using a Slingblade accent.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Jeeeeeeeeezeeeee people. Only you can choose to be offended .... or not. Don’t let others define you, or control your emotions. Man up! And woman up! And human up! Leave the woosieness to others.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm

While you folks are busy being offended by words, people of asian descent are being actually harmed by college admission policies e.g. Harvard, Yale, etc which actively discriminate against them. Not only doesn't this bother most of you, but you have never even thought of it.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:23 pm

Benko wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm
While you folks are busy being offended by words, people of asian descent are being actually harmed by college admission policies e.g. Harvard, Yale, etc which actively discriminate against them. Not only doesn't this bother most of you, but you have never even thought of it.
Yes, just as Ashkenazis are.
No one seems to care about those examples of racism.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:29 pm

Benko wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm
That’s a mite presumptuous.

It was mainstream news.