Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Desert » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 am

What I see is a huge diversity of media sources that we've never had before. Many are really bad, so we have to be careful to look at a variety of sources and try not to get stuck in an extreme echo chamber on either side.

On average, I think the media has been pretty soft on Trump. His daily ridiculous behavior and actions come at a frantic pace, and I can see the media and citizens getting numb to it all. With any past president, the week we just had would have been monumental, but it sort of feels like just another horrible week with Trump.

At Trump's rallies, the media is sort of penned into a chained cage on the side of the rally area, and Trump berates them while the angry natives boo and hiss. It's a pretty ugly thing to see. Our society depends on an active media, and every president has been called out by the media. Trump has had a unique, career-long relationship with the media; on one hand he's fully dependent on it, because he is at heart, a celebrity. And the media generally loves to cover him, because he's a train wreck just waiting to happen (again, this has gone on for decades).

And finally, Trump has several media sources that are acting as de facto state media outlets, including Fox, Breitbart, etc. Fox News spends 22 hours a day riling up one half of the population against the other, and they've been doing it for a long time now. Then you have the crazies like Infowars, who had Trump on for an interview during the campaign. Alex Jones has accused the Sandy Hook parents of lying, and they've been harassed and threatened as a direct result of his "news." And of course there were a couple QAnon folks posing for a picture with Trump this week. It's non stop crazy, and no media outlet can cover it well. We just have to be diligent consumers and try to choose media sources that are at least trying to be fair.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:32 am

Well said.
Btw, if Trump were to be impeached, I wonder if a Pence presidency would merely be a tragedy without the comedy.
Is anyone successfully using Veracrypt in MacOS Catalina?
"You don't vote for kings" -- RIP Terry Jones
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:49 am

Ha ha, that's a good one. Well, I think a Pence presidency would be a major improvement, but there are increasing questions around some of his activities as well. But I think he'll probably be mostly left alone, and wouldn't do anything too crazy. I don't like him much, though. It requires a whole lot of moral elasticity to yoke oneself to this administration.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 pm

Desert wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 am
Our society depends on an active media, and every president has been called out by the media.
If that is true, please provide an instance when they called out Obama.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm

It hasn't been that long ago ... surely you remember?

This article describes a few examples, but there were thousands more.
https://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/ ... snt-096839

I'm sure Trump has gotten more negative press than any previous president in the modern era, for what I would think would be obvious reasons by now.

Pug, serious question: Do you see Trump speaking or read his tweets, and think he's a reasonable person?
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for the link. The media was generally so in love with Obama that it's easy to forget.

Trump is either completely irrational, or putting on a show on purpose. Maybe both.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm

John McCain had character.
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm
John McCain had character.
I'm curious to know what evidence you have for this statement? I can find plenty of places on the internet where people claim that McCain was a show-off pilot who never would have crashed in Vietnam if he hadn't been flying inappropriately. And that he then behaved dishonorably and disloyally in prison. That he left his first wife when he found another woman with a lot more money. That he had dishonest dealings related to the savings and loan scandal. That he was only too happy to send America to war whenever possible, thereby enriching the military-industrial complex, but causing many of our young people to come home with limbs missing or worse, not to mention far worse casualty levels among the native inhabitants. And the list goes on.

Now, I don't know whether all that stuff is true. But I also don't know whether the hagiography peddled by the mainstream media is true. I tend to think the latter is just pablum meant to keep the masses happy.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 pm

I think we are long past the idea that the way Trump operates is all part of a strategy. For whatever reason the way he operates worked in the corporate world, but not so much in the political one.

Would I vote for a pimp and three hookers who could put the country back on track? No. Some level of morality and decency has to be part of the job. I would vote for someone who:

1) makes it clear that the US does not need military bases all over the world and does not need to have a military budget the size of the next 10 (or whatever) countries combined and repurposes that money and talent at home.
2) knows how to make, and live within a real balanced budget
3) figures out the whole medical care/prescription drug fiasco
4) small kids can look up to and feel good about him/her as president
5) does not make decisions based off special interest lobbying but rather what's best for the country.

among some other things. But those are the big five.

Everything has become a conservative/liberal arguing point. Nothing seems to be discussed from a what's best for America standpoint much anymore.

Stuper, your comments about McCain, I tend to echo those. I do not want to disparage the dead, and he seemed to be a decent guy, but at least some of your points are correct, esp. being too hawkish on war.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 am

stuper1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm
I can find plenty of places on the internet where people claim
Yeah, you run with that.
Anything I can say is just pablum for the masses.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:00 am

pugchief wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:51 pm
Thanks for the link. The media was generally so in love with Obama that it's easy to forget.

Trump is either completely irrational, or putting on a show on purpose. Maybe both.
I agree.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am

Regarding McCain, I just saw this article this morning. It's pretty good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/568582/