Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:23 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:56 pm
Why do we continually need a cadre of apologists telling us, "That's not what he meant!" "This is what he was trying to say." "He was just joking! Are you an idiot that you could not tell that?" "He just used the wrong word." I somehow don't remember reading those same constant lines from others after Obama spoke.

Vinny
How short your memory is. "If you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance."
Also, Obama did not have the media trying undermine his every move.
That is THE quote that all anit-Obama's constantly use. But that seems to be the only one in the toolbox. Any others?

I believe that Obama believed it would be true at the time he said until. Then later he got boxed in by the obstructionist Republicans and had to bribe members of his own party to get their vote to finally get it passed. In the end he had to deal with political realities.

That does not somehow seem equivalent to Trump's over 12,000 (only since last August 2019) "false or misleading claims".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... over-days/

Why is the media trying to undermine Trump's every move? Could the answer be because he deserves it? In the eyes of some of us the media has treated him with kid gloves. NOT calling him out on his blatant lies. I think at the beginning it was simply shock to the media that we now have a president who so obviously has a disregard for the truth. And, they did not know how to deal with it.

And, was the media looking the other way during the Clinton / Monica affair? No. They were all over that one because that sold newspapers.

And, why is this media so liberal when it is owned by conservatives corporations driven by the profit motive?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Short-term thinking plagues Trump’s coronavirus response

Officials have yet to grapple with the long-term supply demands needed to fight months-long pandemic.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/2 ... nse-140883

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi »

Why do we continually need a cadre of apologists telling us, "That's not what he meant!" "This is what he was trying to say." "He was just joking! Are you an idiot that you could not tell that?" "He just used the wrong word." I somehow don't remember reading those same constant lines from others after Obama spoke.

Vinny
How short your memory is. "If you like your health insurance, you can keep your health insurance."
Pug, in 30 seconds of looking I can find this. Not all media was in Obama’s pocket.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... bama.html/

https://newsone.com/16051/top-10-racist ... gh-quotes/
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

Libertarian666 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:29 pm
vnatale wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:22 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:08 pm
MangoMan wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:17 pm
Cortopassi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am

Pug, sorry about your pug.
Thanks, Corto
Cortopassi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:23 am
Like him or not, for us in IL, I have found Pritzker to be a good speaker.
He may be a good speaker, but has proven himself to be a hack beholden to the public sector unions. Nearly everything he has done since taking office has been a net negative for the state, IMO.
Agreed, but he has had understandable, effective communications during his press conferences on the virus.

And ran into this from Scaramucci on Trump. Interesting to watch. Yep, short snippets, likely out of context, but generally shows the trajectory of his thinking.

https://twitter.com/Scaramucci/status/1 ... 6838053889
No need for anyone to make excuses for him (and, not accusing you of doing so). Sometimes there IS enough context.

Just received an email containing the below. Does it contain enough context? Or, does it need more?

And, could you ever imagine a debate between him and Biden??!! We might have a new national malady called, "Swivel Head Syndrome". With the way the two of them flit from thought to thought without ever finishing one we'll all be constantly swiveling our heads in a futile attempt to follow what each is saying!

Vinny

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/03/21 ... hecks.html

Trump Just Told Unemployed People To Keep Getting Their Paychecks
Sat, Mar 21st, 2020 by Jason Easley

Trump was asked what he wants people to do who just lost their jobs due to the coronavirus. He told them to keep getting their paychecks.

Here was the exchange:

Reporter: For those people who have lost their jobs already, or they’re worried about to lose it tomorrow, what do you want them to do now?

Trump: What they do right now is keep receiving their paychecks. Hopefully, their companies will been in a strong position. We want to keep everything together. We think we’ll have a tremendous bounce back. Some people agree with that strongly, some of our top economists say once we solve the problem, we’re working on the medical problem. So we want them to keep their jobs, stay where you are, and we’ll see what happens. If they don’t, we unemployment, checks, a lot of very positive things.”
Of course what he meant is that he wants companies to keep paying them if possible.
Surely no one here is dumb enough actually to believe that he could possibly mean anything else. :P
Or, does he not have an ability to say what he means? What is so difficult about that? That's another sign of great leaders - excellent communication skills.

Vinny
1. So being a grate orator is a sign of a Great Leader ✓
How about spelling does that count toward a Great Leader too?
What other conditions exist for being a Great Leader?
2. ____________________________________
3._____________________________________
4._____________________________________

Obviously, Trump made the mistake of assuming people knew what he was talking about.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels »

MangoMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:21 am
Cortopassi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Vinny
Pug, in 30 seconds of looking I can find this. Not all media was in Obama’s pocket.

It is well known that there is Fox on the right, and every other major network and newspaper on the left. And Rush is like Brietbart on steroids. I would have conceded your links from the get-go.

Surely you won't argue that the majority of the media was on Obama's side and the reverse is true for Trump? I wonder if it would be different if another Republican was president.
Which of the 60 states are you all Living in? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02D ... r_embedded
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:21 am
Cortopassi wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Vinny

It is well known that there is Fox on the right, and every other major network and newspaper on the left. And Rush is like Brietbart on steroids. I would have conceded your links from the get-go.

Surely you won't argue that the majority of the media was on Obama's side and the reverse is true for Trump? I wonder if it would be different if another Republican was president.
The media was totally complicit in cooperating with a Republican president in supporting him in probably the greatest foreign policy blunder in our country's history - The Iraq War. The New York Times with Judith Miller were the head cheerleaders.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

MangoMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 am I think the MSM is way more hostile to Republicans now than they were in 2003.
For some of us they are still being way less hostile than necessary!

And, you are leaving out that all the talk radio is absolutely dominated by conservatives. They are a MAJOR part of the media.

What were they all saying during 8 years of Obama? Was all that they were saying falling on deaf ears?

Vinny
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48 am
MangoMan wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 am I think the MSM is way more hostile to Republicans now than they were in 2003.

And, you are leaving out that all the talk radio is absolutely dominated by conservatives. They are a MAJOR part of the media.

What were they all saying during 8 years of Obama? Was all that they were saying falling on deaf ears?

Vinny
Fox News is too rated news channel and has almost as many viewers as CNN and MSNBC combined.

And, don't recall a majority of coverage is Fair and Balanced.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/cable-rati ... 17561/amp/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Dieter wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:08 pm
vnatale wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48 am

Vinny
Fox News is too rated news channel and has almost as many viewers as CNN and MSNBC combined.

And, don't recall a majority of coverage is Fair and Balanced.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/cable-rati ... 17561/amp/
Or, so they say!!!

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

I've now sees a lot of a few of New York Governor's lengthy daily solo briefings (complete with Power Point for those like me who prefer to read rather than listen).

QUITE the communicator in contrast to the person who shall remain unnamed in what I am writing here!

"I play basketball! There is no way you can maintain social distancing while playing basketball!"

I am such a constant C-Span viewer / listener these days that I'm just realizing this is the second time around I am experiencing this particular briefing.

Vinny
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

This guy is president. When he was asked about the tweets he responded:

"Well, I've read that CNN doesn't want to cover them. I've read that -- except they can't help them because their ratings are so high. You know, if the ratings were low, they wouldn't be here. This man wouldn't be here. In 100 years you could bet your life that he would never be here with CNN and all their cameras....because we help their ratings. We help -- we lift up their ratings because their ratings are very low. ... But I think the American public ultimately they should be the decider, it's like if they don't want to watch, they shouldn't watch."

Yes, I watch them for you Mr. President. Not for news of the virus.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 pm This guy is president. When he was asked about the tweets he responded:

"Well, I've read that CNN doesn't want to cover them. I've read that -- except they can't help them because their ratings are so high. You know, if the ratings were low, they wouldn't be here. This man wouldn't be here. In 100 years you could bet your life that he would never be here with CNN and all their cameras....because we help their ratings. We help -- we lift up their ratings because their ratings are very low. ... But I think the American public ultimately they should be the decider, it's like if they don't want to watch, they shouldn't watch."

He did look somewhat shook yesterday when he was given and seemingly accepted the information given to him that if we did nothing that over 2,000,000 Americans would get killed by this virus.

But that was yesterday. That hour. That minute.

His instincts may well having him give different reactions today.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer »

Perhaps this site could be useful to some. Take your pick and hope for the best. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we shall never know the real truth. That is why I minimize my time listening/watching "news". It isn't, and the opinions/talking head/ blathers "reports" are usually not actionable. And, not very entertaining.

After a quick scan, I did not see the NYT or WaPo listed. :)

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/center/
Last edited by Mountaineer on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

Cortopassi wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 pm This guy is president. When he was asked about the tweets he responded:

Yes, isn't it terrible that so many people are watching the President of the United States provide up-to-the minute information on a virulent pandemic that is killing Americans by the score? Even worse, he spends a long time answering questions from the press and makes his top advisors available to answer questions too!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm Perhaps this site could be useful to some. Take your pick and hope for the best. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we shall never know the real truth. That is why I minimize my time listening/watching "news". It isn't, and the opinions/talking head/ blathers "reports" are usually not actionable. And, not very entertaining.

I generally do not watch or listen to the news. Never have as reading has always been for me a far more efficient way of getting information.

However, for the "new" I do get via listening / watching it is almost 100% through C-Span. They promotes themselves as "unfiltered". You hear what is being said at the source. Like the Cuomo daily briefings. Oher governors' daily briefings. When Trump and company come on later today.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes, isn't it terrible that so many people are watching the President of the United States provide up-to-the minute information on a virulent pandemic that is killing Americans by the score? Even worse, he spends a long time answering questions from the press and makes his top advisors available to answer questions too!
Except when he refuses to answer direct questions by attacking the questioner...among other "presidential" behaviors during these conferences...

VInny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:51 pm Perhaps this site could be useful to some. Take your pick and hope for the best. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we shall never know the real truth. That is why I minimize my time listening/watching "news". It isn't, and the opinions/talking head/ blathers "reports" are usually not actionable. And, not very entertaining.

When I go to their home page this is what I see / impressions I get.

1) "We are the most comprehensive media bias resource on the internet. There are currently 3100+ media sources listed in our database and growing every day. Don’t be fooled by Fake News sources. Use the search feature above (Header) to check the bias of any source. Use name or url." No one or two sentence explanation here of their methodologies, why we should trust their ratings.

2) Tons and tons of ads, including pop up ads.

3) The ads seem far from free from bias. Seem to all be far in only one direction.

All in all, does not give the impression of being the be all and end all of pronouncing what is or is not biased.

Vinny
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

This one:
https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-chart
seems a bit more reliable.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:53 pm

I know you will have an answer to this but I will ask anyway.

Trump's hometown is New York City.

Yet when the question is asked of New Yorker's of their approval ratings for the handling of the virus we get:

1) Cuomo - 87%
2) Trump - 41%

I don't think that Trump yesterday in response to a journalist merely repeating Trump's own words back to him and he then going into a temper tantrum in front of his self-proclaimed "larger than Monday Night Football" audiences gains him any approval OTHER THAN FROM HIS SUPPORTERS FOR WHOM NOTHING HE DOES WILL LOSE THEIR SUPPORT.

Seems like they and much of the rest of the country are just not impressed with him.

VInny
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Trump is a 70-something baby.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I hope all you people with TDS are going to be able to come to your senses after he is re-elected in an epic landslide. He might even win 50 states.

Until then I'm not interested in reading your juvenile comments about him, so you're all on my ignore list.

Have a nice rest of the year until November 3rd.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

Libertarian666 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:00 pm I hope all you people with TDS are going to be able to come to your senses after he is re-elected in an epic landslide. He might even win 50 states.

Until then I'm not interested in reading your juvenile comments about him, so you're all on my ignore list.

Have a nice rest of the year until November 3rd.
I think you have the other type of TDS...

Providing clear up to the minute information is not his strong point. Cuomo has him beat hands down on that. Going off on tangents, now that is Trump’s strong suit.

Juvenile? How about Tweets about getting better ratings than The Batchelor???
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi »

That’s your choice, tech. I think we have a civilized discussion here. We obviously have a difference of opinion. This topic is Trump as tragicomedy.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

You know what kind of bothered me about the NYTimes the other day?

There was that press conference video of Fauci stifling a laugh when Trump joked, “or as some people call it, the Deep State Dept.”
I posted the whole video cued up to that part, then linked to it again. Then Maddy posted it. Then Tortoise posted a gif of it. I think most of us have seen it. Fauci cracks up, and then covers his face because he wants to looks sincere and professional. So far, so good.

The Times then has an article stating that some Trump supporters are anti-Fauci. That may be true, but I think they are few and far between and it is a weird thing to focus us. There is a giant blow-up of the still screen showing Fauci with his hand over his face so it looks like a facepalm of disgust. They make zero mention in the article of Fauci smiling, and they don’t link to the original clip. So, in the process of saying there are a few wackos out there who hate Fauci, they’re also trying to give us the impression that Fauci hates the President. That’s so misleading, and it’s annoying!

There are times when Trump can be his own worst enemy and I wish he could try to sound a little humbler during the next four years. At the same time, the media really is a nightmare right now. Magnifying the worst things, minimizing the good.
🍍
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

dualstow wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:50 pm You know what kind of bothered me about the NYTimes the other day?

There was that press conference video of Fauci stifling a laugh when Trump joked, “or as some people call it, the Deep State Dept.”
I posted the whole video cued up to that part, then linked to it again. Then Maddy posted it. Then Tortoise posted a gif of it. I think most of us have seen it. Fauci cracks up, and then covers his face because he wants to looks sincere and professional. So far, so good.

The Times then has an article stating that some Trump supporters are anti-Fauci. That may be true, but I think they are few and far between and it is a weird thing to focus us. There is a giant blow-up of the still screen showing Fauci with his hand over his face so it looks like a facepalm of disgust. They make zero mention in the article of Fauci smiling, and they don’t link to the original clip. So, in the process of saying there are a few wackos out there who hate Fauci, they’re also trying to give us the impression that Fauci hates the President. That’s so misleading, and it’s annoying!

There are times when Trump can be his own worst enemy and I wish he could try to sound a little humbler during the next four years. At the same time, the media really is a nightmare right now. Magnifying the worst things, minimizing the good.
Tell me ANY TIME it was any different? Bill, Monica, the blue dress...

Vinny