Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Desert » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:36 pm

After watching Trump in office for the past several months, I have begun to view his reign as a true tragicomedy. Previously, I was in touch with mostly the tragedy of having someone like Trump in the presidency. Lately, I've been able to step back and really enjoy the dark comedy that is his administration. He has proven to be completely ineffective, even with GOP control of congress. That has made me less concerned about the damage he could do, and has allowed me to just stand back and enjoy big belly laughs as I watch him bumble from one failure to the next. The utter chaos he has installed in the executive branch breeds all manner of comedy: from the ridiculous speeches, to the unqualified children and their spouses that he plops in meetings with serious world leaders. The turnover of his staff is the most enjoyable to watch ... you can't make up comedy this good. The Mooch is the latest and greatest example. SNL is no match for this beautiful train wreck. This comedy could represent the last gasps of a once great empire, but I prefer to view it as a brief downturn in our nation's relentless and rocky journey to a better state. But in any case, I'm gonna be laughing. It not only feels good, it's the only logical response to this great comedic mess that is the Trump administration. I hope you all will laugh with me.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 am

It has gone from hopeful to tragic for me. Sometimes funny, sure. The guy has a huge ego that seems to need to be stroked daily. I suppose I knew that, but now on full display, I regret that I had to make this choice.

I wish I had an opportunity to vote for Bernie.
TennPaGa
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by TennPaGa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:56 am

Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:23 am

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Some say there will be three phases:

Phase 1: OMG, TRUMP IS HITLER!!

Phase 2: Okay, he's not Hitler... BUT HE'S INCOMPETENT AND INEFFECTIVE!

Phase 3: Okay, he's competent and effective (or at least effective)... but I don't like what he's doing! (i.e. pretty normal politics)

At about 6 months in, it sounds like much of his opposition is already into phase 2. Whether they get to phase 3 remains to be seen but we've got a long way to go.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:41 pm

flyingpylon wrote:Some say there will be three phases:

Phase 1: OMG, TRUMP IS HITLER!!

Phase 2: Okay, he's not Hitler... BUT HE'S INCOMPETENT AND INEFFECTIVE!

Phase 3: Okay, he's competent and effective (or at least effective)... but I don't like what he's doing! (i.e. pretty normal politics)

At about 6 months in, it sounds like much of his opposition is already into phase 2. Whether they get to phase 3 remains to be seen but we've got a long way to go.
What are the inconsistent, exaggerated phases of "much" of his supporters? Or how about the other "much" of his opposition that actually have well-grounded reasons for thinking he is at-best an embarrassing, sleaze-ball buffoon, and at worst a dangerous personality to have so "much" control over the most powerful killing force in the history of the world?

When "much" of the liberal population elects Kanye West, I will join the f*ck out of every conservative poking fund and expressing reasonable concern at the situation. Until then, there's only one dipsh!t with the nuke codes, and he wasn't put there by millennial snowflakes.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm

Trump is certainly not my personal idea of a role model .... but, you know me, I place God's will above mans' sinful corrupted view of how things should be according to our fallen and cursed reason. To the best of my knowledge, Trump has not required us to go against any of God's Word. So:

LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR
#16 Parents and other authority figures in church and society deserve love, respect, and obedience because God has set them over us as his representatives. In the event that they command us to do something contrary to God’s Word, then we must obey God and disobey their command.
#17 Secular governments are instituted by God to maintain peace and order on earth. Therefore Christians should always respect their leaders as God’s representatives and should pray for them. Christians may serve in government and may work to improve government.
Everyone is discontent. Anyone who says otherwise is likely selling something. That's why we have online shopping and commercials and fly swatters: the discontents sell them to other discontents in order to try to make contentment. It works. Sometimes. For a while. The pursuit of happiness is endless. It is very slowly killing you. Happiness is the final idol.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Mountaineer wrote:To the best of my knowledge, Trump has not required us to go against any of God's Word.
Could you give me a list of presidents since Kennedy (just to keep things recent) that have, in your view, required us to go against any of God's Word.

I'm trying to drill down to how you define it... especially since every President on that list (and others) has authorized non-defensive military action.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:To the best of my knowledge, Trump has not required us to go against any of God's Word.
Could you give me a list of presidents since Kennedy (just to keep things recent) that have, in your view, required us to go against any of God's Word.

I'm trying to drill down to how you define it... especially since every President on that list (and others) has authorized non-defensive military action.
Help me understand what part of God's Word you think has been violated by those Presidents. On the surface, I don't see it but I'm very open to your views. Off the top of my head, I'd say Obama came closest but I think that is probably my opinion rather than fact because he made me sick at my stomach to listen/watch him because of his overt narcissism. I have a hard time being objective about Obama.
Everyone is discontent. Anyone who says otherwise is likely selling something. That's why we have online shopping and commercials and fly swatters: the discontents sell them to other discontents in order to try to make contentment. It works. Sometimes. For a while. The pursuit of happiness is endless. It is very slowly killing you. Happiness is the final idol.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Mountaineer wrote: #16 Parents and other authority figures in church and society deserve love, respect, and obedience because God has set them over us as his representatives. In the event that they command us to do something contrary to God’s Word, then we must obey God and disobey their command.
#17 Secular governments are instituted by God to maintain peace and order on earth. Therefore Christians should always respect their leaders as God’s representatives and should pray for them. Christians may serve in government and may work to improve government.
Sorry, I am not a religious person, where do these come from?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:44 pm

Awesome. O0

Tragicomedy is the word. I can't think of a more apt term.

His supporters will always find a way to focus on something else, be it the admittedly shitty Democrats, or conspiracy theories, or "at least he's xenophobic like me." All I can think is if he's so busy trying to pardon himself and defend his large but sensitive ego, how does he have time to get anything productive done? He doesn't.
for Kriegsspiel, a wsj headline: Behind Every Metal Screecher is a Patient Voice Coach
I’m more of a social justice worrier
- Stephen Fry
Benko
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Benko » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:03 pm

What really matters?

A. Economy/jobs, stock market, regulations, judges, immigration, electing out of climate change stuff, etc Or

B The show (insane/and incompetent to varying degrees to be sure).

Certainly the health care bill and taxes matter, but if both houses are determined to hurt Trump so the people will never again elect someone not of the uniparty I'm not sure there is much Trump can do.

He should remove congress's exemption from obamacare.