Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:57 am

Former Obama official: Trump needs to take a ‘military operations approach’ to the coronavirus pandemic

https://www.marketwatch.com/discover?ur ... amp_social
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:00 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:34 am
About 6 in 10 voters think Trump was not prepared for coronavirus outbreak, poll finds

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 101764002/
Now do Communist China Xi Jinping, Were they prepared?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am

vnatale wrote:
About 6 in 10 voters think Trump was not prepared for coronavirus outbreak, poll finds

That's kind of like saying after the fact that poll finds 6 in 10 Japanese say Hirohito was not prepared for the atomic bomb. :P
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:10 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:56 am
Trump Just Admitted to Downplaying the Seriousness of the Coronavirus Threat

The president says he decided to be a "cheerleader for the country," although he knew the situation "could be horrible."

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a3200 ... ce=twitter
Dude. Would you do me favor and listen to the the Presidents Press Conference and not post what Someone ELSE thinks or Interprets?
I saw that part of the speech and let's just say you would of had to be there.
So when information comes to you 2nd or 3rd hand does it mean what it says?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:29 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:06 am
vnatale wrote:

That's kind of like saying after the fact that poll finds 6 in 10 Japanese say Hirohito was not prepared for the atomic bomb. :P
I think you need to further explain your analogy for me to understand it. As far I know just the fact that Japan had an Emperor means that they were a closed, non-participatory country. We, on the other hand, are a democratic republic with information free flowing.

Next question for you....Of those 6 (in 10) what is your guess as to the range (low to high percent) who, if the election was held next week, would be voting for Trump?

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 am

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:29 am
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

I think you need to further explain your analogy for me to understand it. As far I know just the fact that Japan had an Emperor means that they were a closed, non-participatory country. We, on the other hand, are a democratic republic with information free flowing.

Next question for you....Of those 6 (in 10) what is your guess as to the range (low to high percent) who, if the election was held next week, would be voting for Trump?

Vinny
Point one - it is impossible to predict disasters with much accuracy - in the case of Hiroshima a brand new weapon. Like trying to predict exactly (e.g. in time to evacuate people) when the Yellowstone caldera is going to blow again. Meanwhile, the tourists keep on flocking there. I'm sure though, if it blows in July, it will be Trump's fault (pun intended).

Point two - the election is not going to be held next week - that's my prediction. ;D
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 am
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny
Point one - it is impossible to predict disasters with much accuracy - in the case of Hiroshima a brand new weapon. Like trying to predict exactly (e.g. in time to evacuate people) when the Yellowstone caldera is going to blow again. Meanwhile, the tourists keep on flocking there. I'm sure though, if it blows in July, it will be Trump's fault (pun intended).

Point two - the election is not going to be held next week - that's my prediction. ;D
However, to stay on your analogy Nagasaki was 100% predictable. How many out of 10 Japanese would have said he was not prepared when he could have 100% prevented it?

Trump kept downplaying the seriousness of what this has turned out to be. Think that had no affect on the poor behavior of others?

I'll spare you here my other thoughts on what more he could reasonably been expected to do but which chose to not do.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:02 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:54 am
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

However, to stay on your analogy Nagasaki was 100% predictable. How many out of 10 Japanese would have said he was not prepared when he could have 100% prevented it?

Trump kept downplaying the seriousness of what this has turned out to be. Think that had no affect on the poor behavior of others?

I'll spare you here my other thoughts on what more he could reasonably been expected to do but which chose to not do.

Vinny
Trump on Feb. 26: "This is a flu. This is like a flu” ... It's a little like the regular flu that we have flu shots for. And we'll essentially have a flu shot for this in a fairly quick manner." Trump on March 15: “It’s something we have tremendous control of"

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
Perhaps Nagasaki was reasonably predictible, perhaps not (this is my view especially if you apply the adjective reasonably to the noun predictable).... it was only a couple days later. I seriously doubt they could have evacuated every city in Japan just because they thought another atomic bomb were coming somewhere. I expect they also could have reasonably predicted Tokyo was a target but they still lost more people in the fire bombing than at Hiroshima (I think). I think when one views events like a horse through blinders, one will miss a lot of the unseen events that can totally change the overall scene. Leaves? Trees? Forrest? Some never see they are in a forrest. Some do, but only with 20-20 hindsight.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:06 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:03 pm
Perhaps Nagasaki was reasonably predictible, perhaps not (this is my view especially if you apply the adjective reasonably to the noun predictable).... it was only a couple days later. I seriously doubt they could have evacuated every city in Japan just because they thought another atomic bomb were coming somewhere. I expect they also could have reasonably predicted Tokyo was a target but they still lost more people in the fire bombing than at Hiroshima (I think). I think when one views events like a horse through blinders, one will miss a lot of the unseen events that can totally change the overall scene. Leaves? Trees? Forrest? Some never see they are in a forrest. Some do, but only with 20-20 hindsight.
He could have surrendered after the first one instead of waiting for a second.

It's actually a good thing for us he surrendered after two, because (IIRC) that's all we had.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:08 pm

A White House report blows up Trump’s latest coronavirus defense

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... s-defense/
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
All you say is reasonable. However, isn't it reasonable to also assume that after the first atomic bomb that the Emperor could have decided enough is enough? Thought that If the Americans had that one, how many others do they have? How can I continue to allow such destruction to occur in my beloved country?

The point was not evacuating. The point was unconditional surrendering.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Xan wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:06 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
He could have surrendered after the first one instead of waiting for a second.

It's actually a good thing for us he surrendered after two, because (IIRC) that's all we had.
And, it's good for us (and the rest of the world) those were those only two that have ever been used in any war.

We are now 75 years later. Certainly not the case for any other weapon ever invented, some of which had the name of "peacemaker" due to the human destruction they caused and the thought the threat of their use would prevent wars.

Vinny
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 pm

The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-disaster
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:54 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:51 pm
The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... h-disaster
"This week Fauci was asked by a Science magazine writer, Jon Cohen, how he could stand beside Trump at daily press briefings and listen to him misleading the American people with comments such as that the China travel ban had been a great success in blocking entry of the virus. Fauci replied: “I know, but what do you want me to do? I mean, seriously Jon, let’s get real, what do you want me to do?”"

"‘A total vacuum of federal leadership’
In the absence of a strong federal response, a patchwork of efforts has sprouted all across the country. State governors are doing their own thing. Cities, even individual hospitals, are coping as best they can.

In an improvised attempt to address such inconsistencies, charitable startups have proliferated on social media. Konyndyk has clubbed together with fellow disaster relief experts to set up Covid Local, an online “quick and dirty” guide to how to fight a pandemic.

“We are seeing the emergence of 50-state anarchy, because of a total vacuum of federal leadership. It’s absurd that thinktanks and Twitter are providing more actionable guidance in the US than the federal government, but that’s where we are.”"
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:54 pm
Trump is certainly not my personal idea of a role model .... but, you know me, I place God's will above mans' sinful corrupted view of how things should be according to our fallen and cursed reason. To the best of my knowledge, Trump has not required us to go against any of God's Word. So:

LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR
#16 Parents and other authority figures in church and society deserve love, respect, and obedience because God has set them over us as his representatives. In the event that they command us to do something contrary to God’s Word, then we must obey God and disobey their command.
#17 Secular governments are instituted by God to maintain peace and order on earth. Therefore Christians should always respect their leaders as God’s representatives and should pray for them. Christians may serve in government and may work to improve government.
To the best of your knowledge, I'd be curious to see your list of when Obama required us to go against any of God's Word?

And, does the Trump administration exemplify the spirit of these verses? In what ways has he by his own examples led the American people to behave in the way exhorted by these verses?

Matthew 25:36-40 New King James Version (NKJV)
36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

Vinny
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:16 am

Vinny,

You must be a very gullible person if you believe anything written in today's media. They have demonstrated over and over that they are completely biased and unreliable.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 am

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Trump is certainly not my personal idea of a role model .... but, you know me, I place God's will above mans' sinful corrupted view of how things should be according to our fallen and cursed reason. To the best of my knowledge, Trump has not required us to go against any of God's Word. So:

LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR
#16 Parents and other authority figures in church and society deserve love, respect, and obedience because God has set them over us as his representatives. In the event that they command us to do something contrary to God’s Word, then we must obey God and disobey their command.
#17 Secular governments are instituted by God to maintain peace and order on earth. Therefore Christians should always respect their leaders as God’s representatives and should pray for them. Christians may serve in government and may work to improve government.
To the best of your knowledge, I'd be curious to see your list of when Obama required us to go against any of God's Word?

And, does the Trump administration exemplify the spirit of these verses? In what ways has he by his own examples led the American people to behave in the way exhorted by these verses?

36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

Vinny
Is it more loving to try to help your neighbor and fail,

or,

More loving to throw verbal hand grenades on to your neighbors' actions without having first hand information about the pertinent facts?

or,

More loving to complain about actions of others over which you have no control?

Pot meet kettle.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 am
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR

Vinny

or,

More loving to throw verbal hand grenades on to your neighbors' actions without having first hand information about the pertinent facts?

or,

Pot meet kettle.
Direct questions. No direct answers.

Vinny
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:39 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:09 am
Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:38 am
vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

LOVING YOUR NEIGHBOR

Vinny

or,

or,

Pot meet kettle.
Direct questions. No direct answers.

Vinny
Vinny, I understand that you are a binary guy. However, for a non-binary guy, I clearly answered your questions. And, from your response on the daily check in thread, my opinion is you did not understand the poem.

Here is another for you to ponder, perhaps it shall be clearer, perhaps not.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Peace be with you.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:24 pm

Less than a month ago Trump tweeted:

"So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths," he tweeted on March 9. "Think about that!"

I emailed my family, cancelling upcoming travel plans on Jan 22. So either I'm prescient, or Trump is a moron. Oh wait, it's both!

Not really comic, all tragic.

300,000 cases. 549x in less than a month. What a total failure of a National response. If he had any shame he'd resign. Having none, he stays and we suffer.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:30 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:24 pm

"So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths," he tweeted on March 9. "Think about that!"

I emailed my family, cancelling upcoming travel plans on Jan 22. So either I'm prescient, or Trump is a moron. Oh wait, it's both!

300,000 cases. 549x in less than a month. What a total failure of a National response. If he had any shame he'd resign. Having none, he stays and we suffer.
I take it you are a Pence lover, or do you wish for both to resign and have Nancy P. as President? Or some other scenario? Serious questions.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:32 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:30 pm
ochotona wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:24 pm

I take it you are a Pence lover, or do you wish for both to resign and have Nancy P. as President? Or some other scenario? Serious questions.

Pence better than Trump. Sure. Why not? Let's go.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 pm

Be careful what you wish for, Ocho. Pence isn’t going to be any kinder to immigrants — something you and I touched on the past — and he seems a bit Salem in the 16 17th century.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years