Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:54 am
jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:41 am
What's wrong with this picture...

The screenshot is from Bing news. Here is the link to the actual story. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/price-of-i ... ive-years/. Do you think it was just a mistake or does any negative story just get a photo of Trump by default?

I also noticed they used his "Douche-level-7" face rather than 8-10 (or 5-6 (he doesn't have a 1-4)).

Not only is he not even mentioned in the article, but the timeframe analyzed is 2012 thru 2016. Nothing of 2017 or 2018. No mention of republicans either.

Trump is a complete embarrassment of a human and President, but this isn't his baby.
I was never a big fan of Obama but like they say in the godfather it wasn't personal, just politics. Personally I thought he was a decent person, at least as much as you can say that about any lying-snake-in-the-grass politician. He also represented an amazing success story which should be duly noted in all future textbooks on American history.

Trump derangement syndrome is another phenomenon altogether however. I mean seriously, is he really that bad of a president?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm

jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm
Trump derangement syndrome is another phenomenon altogether however. I mean seriously, is he really that bad of a president?
I don’t like him, but I would acknowledge that he has done some ok things. The crazy Left will never give him credit, and they will hate some policy decisions merely because of the source. Example: Obama also funded some fencing. Trump is not trying to build a solid 2,000-mile wall.

Unfortunately, I believe Trump helped create the crazy far Left. He’s a polarizer. Still, that seems to be the direction in which the U.S. was going. Maybe it’s a chicken-egg question.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:17 pm
jacksonM wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:48 pm
I don’t like him, but I would acknowledge that he has done some ok things. The crazy Left will never give him credit, and they will hate some policy decisions merely because of the source. Example: Obama also funded some fencing. Trump is not trying to build a solid 2,000-mile wall.

Unfortunately, I believe Trump helped create the crazy far Left. He’s a polarizer. Still, that seems to be the direction in which the U.S. was going. Maybe it’s a chicken-egg question.
I don't think Trump sat down one day and said how can I take advantage of what I'm seeing going on in the country right now by being a "polarizer" and getting a majority of the people to vote for me so I can have all the power. It's possible but I doubt it. Same thing with Obama. It's within the realm of possibility that maybe they are both complete psychopaths and this is the way they think but I doubt it. I like to give them both credit for at least being convinced in their own minds that their cause was righteous even if I disagreed with it.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Oh, I agree with you. Trump’s not smart enough to do that. Cheney is clever enough. No, I think Trump merely speaks his mind.

But, while that’s cool for Jordan Peterson to remind us that there are more important things to do than watch out for feelings(especially those of the easily offended), the President of the United States should make more of an effort to unite. Don’t you think so, too?
jacksonM
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jacksonM » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:29 pm

dualstow wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:08 pm
Oh, I agree with you. Trump’s not smart enough to do that. Cheney is clever enough. No, I think Trump merely speaks his mind.

But, while that’s cool for Jordan Peterson to remind us that there are more important things to do than watch out for feelings(especially those of the easily offended), the President of the United States should make more of an effort to unite. Don’t you think so, too?
Yes. I vote for us all being united.

We can all do better.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:29 pm

Trumps just an attention whore who will say anything for cheers. The actual story of his presidency, is why was Hillary forced on us as the only alternative
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am

Also, JacksonM, don’t take the word of a silly guy on a forum. Look at Kelly and Mattis and all the other Cabinet members and connections to the administration who either quit outright or were fired because they couldn’t work with the President.

Which is more likely: that the parade of people who exited are the problem, or that it’s that one guy?

Are they just part of the swamp? I don’t know. Trump praises them coming in.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:52 pm

dualstow wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am
Also, JacksonM, don’t take the word of a silly guy on a forum. Look at Kelly and Mattis and all the other Cabinet members and connections to the administration who either quit outright or were fired because they couldn’t work with the President.

Which is more likely: that the parade of people who exited are the problem, or that it’s that one guy?

Are they just part of the swamp? I don’t know. Trump praises them coming in.
I wish we had clear lines of agreement or disagreement on what consists of "the swamp" or "the deep state" vs what doesn't. Cuz I was 99% sure John Bolton, Rick Perry, Steve Mnuchin, and Jeff Sessions were "the swamp"... just to mention a few.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:19 pm

I doubt clear lines of delineation will ever exist for those terms.

But even given that, why would Steve Mnuchin be either one? He worked in finance on Wall Street his whole life as far as I can tell.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:31 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:19 pm

But even given that, why would Steve Mnuchin be either one? He worked in finance on Wall Street his whole life as far as I can tell.
Considering his position within Goldman Sachs (which Donald Trump rightly dogged Ted Cruz and Hillary for having connections to), and given the banking system's position within what's corrupt about the government and politics, I'd have to say that Mnuchin definitely occupies a corner of "the swamp." Just one that likes to call itself "the private sector" while sitting atop a system of massive regulatory capture.

Hard to think Mnuchin would have done anything much different than what Geithner did in 2009.

I guess it depends on how much you think cronyism in banking is part of "The Swamp."
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:45 pm

Rick Perry was a door-to-door salesman, Air Force pilot, and then various elected positions since then.
Jeff Sessions has pretty much been a government lawyer and elected politician: assistant US attorney, state attorney general, Senator, and US attorney general.

I'd say you have a case with John Bolton. His wikipedia page reads like a swamp and deep state dream resume.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:45 pm
Rick Perry was a door-to-door salesman, Air Force pilot, and then various elected positions since then.
Jeff Sessions has pretty much been a government lawyer and elected politician: assistant US attorney, state attorney general, Senator, and US attorney general.

I'd say you have a case with John Bolton. His wikipedia page reads like a swamp and deep state dream resume.
If you had to define "the swamp," how would you, generally?

To me, the swamp is just the generally corrupt or ineffectual boobs in or around government. Not just the evil deep-state chicken-hawks. But that's just my spitball answer...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:56 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:31 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:19 pm

Considering his position within Goldman Sachs (which Donald Trump rightly dogged Ted Cruz and Hillary for having connections to), and given the banking system's position within what's corrupt about the government and politics, I'd have to say that Mnuchin definitely occupies a corner of "the swamp." Just one that likes to call itself "the private sector" while sitting atop a system of massive regulatory capture.

Hard to think Mnuchin would have done anything much different than what Geithner did in 2009.

I guess it depends on how much you think cronyism in banking is part of "The Swamp."
Whoops, he also started a movie financing company. I don't think it's right to put someone in the swamp category just for working in finance.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:02 pm

moda0306 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:50 pm
If you had to define "the swamp," how would you, generally?

To me, the swamp is just the generally corrupt or ineffectual boobs in or around government. Not just the evil deep-state chicken-hawks. But that's just my spitball answer...
To me, the swamp would be the accumulated lobbyists and think-tankers in DC who corrupt politicians.

Deep state is more like un-elected government functionaries who run things how they want, not how elected and appointed officials want. Or are kind of governing themselves, outside of elected officials, like making up their own regulations, unilaterally, them without a law being passed or anything like that.

I can't tell which category applies to the RNC and DNC but I think they belong.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 pm

I agree on corrupt or ineffectual, but only where ineffectual = cog in the machine, collect your paycheck, keep on doing what you’re doing, focus on staying in office. A newcomer without a political background can be ineffectual (and/or) corrupt, but not part of the swamp.

I miss the swamp.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 pm

This is sick.

Washington (CNN Business) Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says he doesn't "really quite understand why" federal workers who have missed paychecks due to the partial government shutdown don't just take out loans to cover the gap.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:34 pm

That's a real "let them eat cake" sentiment.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:21 pm

Ahh, going to the actual interview clears it up a bit. He was saying why would you go to a food bank when you could take out a federally guaranteed loan that the government worker's credit unions are making available, instead. Still dumb, but not as evil sounding as I thought at first. Read the room, Willbur!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:43 pm

As to the impoverished Federal employees, I'm sure some are hurting, especially lower income clerical employees, etc. But the average salary for Federal employees in the District of Columbia is $115,000 per year. Seems as if one could and should have a reasonable emergency fund with that amount of income, even in DC.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:21 pm
why would you go to a food bank when you could take out a federally guaranteed loan
Taking a guess... For the free food?
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:48 pm

I worked at a startup for 8 weeks without pay in 2006 as the sole breadwinner and 2 small kids at home.

Eventually I had to make a determination enough was enough and I asked to be officially laid off, not because I needed the money, but I did need to move on.

I wonder what percentage of these 800k workers are going to say/or have said/ screw this and find work elsewhere. I know I would. Can't let your life be screwed at the whims of politicians.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Did Wilbur slip a subtle pwn on those freeloaders right under my nose? I must be losing my grip, mentally. I welcome my imminent death.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 am

Getting back to the thread title, I came across this little diddy and thought some of you might find it enjoyable, funny, disgusting, or a bunch of crap. Pick your own descriptor.

Like many citizens, I've wondered and tried hard to understand why Trump has such a remarkable following. (It's obvious why he probably should not!) Then a friend sent me this raccoon story. It makes no difference about your political leanings, this is just a good explanation of 'WHY?' If you really want to know how the majority of people feel.
You've been on vacation for two weeks, you come home, and your basement is infested with raccoons. Hundreds of rabid, messy, mean raccoons have overtaken your basement. You want them gone immediately. You call the city, 4 different exterminators, but nobody can handle the job But there is this one guy and he guarantees you to get rid of them, so you hire him. You don't care if the guy smells, you don't care if the guy swears, you don't care if he's an alcoholic, you don't care how many times he's been married, you don't care if he has a plumber's crack, you simply want those raccoons gone! You want your problem fixed! He's the guy. He's the best. Period !

Here's why we want Trump, yes he's a bit of an ass, yes he's an egomaniac, but we don't care. The country is a mess because politicians suck, the Republicans and Democrats can be two-faced & gutless, and illegals are everywhere. We want it all fixed! We don't care that Trump is crude, we don't care that he insults people, we don't care that he has changed positions, we don't care that he's been married 3 times, we don't care that he fights with Megyn Kelly and Rosie O'Donnell, we don't care that he doesn't know the name of some Muslim terrorist. This country is weak, bankrupt, our enemies are making fun of us, we are being invaded by illegals, we are becoming a nation of victims where every Tom, Ricardo, and Hasid is a special group with special rights to a point where we don't even recognize the country we were born and raised in; "AND WE JUST WANT IT FIXED" and Trump is the only guy who seems to understand what the people want.

We're sick of politicians, sick of the Democratic Party, Republican Party, and sick of illegals. We just want this thing fixed. Trump may not be a saint, but he doesn't have lobbyist money holding him, he doesn't have political correctness restraining him, all you know is that he has been very successful, a good negotiator, he has built a lot of things, and he's also not a politician, he's not a cowardly politician. And he says he'll fix it, and we believe him because he is too much of an egotist to be proven wrong or looked at and called a liar. Also, we don't care if the guy has bad hair. We just want those raccoons gone, out of our house, NOW.

You are welcome to pass this on. I feel this is why thousands of people who haven't voted in 25 years are getting involved. The raccoons have got to go.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:59 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:43 am
Getting back to the thread title, I came across this little diddy and thought some of you might find it enjoyable, funny, disgusting, or a bunch of crap. Pick your own descriptor.

Hmm, I have relatives who share a similar sentiment with regard to the raccoon remover, if even I recognize this as the racist Infowars rant.

https://triblive.com/state/pennsylvania ... aign-event

EDIT: So I don’t derail with follow up posts, I’ll add that I don’t think Hasids should have special rights, either. No separate swimming pool hours by gender, etc. There was a great 1990s article in the LA Times about friction in a famous neighborhood where loads of Orthodox had moved in. One of their shenanigans was walking in the middle of the street at night so as to not activate burglar sensor lights (= lighting a “fire” = work) on the Sabbath. O0 Among the forefront of complainants about the influx: secular Jews. Good stuff.

Still, I don’t know if a hateful guy like Trump who stirs up the worst in people, and the worst people, is necessary to decide that Muslim women cannot have exclusive rights to a public pool one day out of the year. We can achieve that with swampy, non-hateful representatives.