Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Maddy » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:05 pm

I, for one, as glad that the majority of conservatives have gotten over their fixation on character. Not that I don't consider character important in a president, but the reality is that there's precious little character to be seen anywhere in public life these days, and the reality of what we're up against demands some pragmatism. Let's face it: The Left has gotten a whole lot of mileage for an awfully long time from the fact that conservatives are. . . well. . . conservative. We've stood there being principled and gotten run over by a team that's not playing by any rules and that has made a mockery of the very notion of principle and character. The game has changed, and we're fighting for our constitutional republic at this point, and if a pimp and three hookers can get our country back on the right track, I'll be right there behind them.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm

John McCain had character.
Unlike its synonyms, rarely used of a combination for evil
- etymology of “alliance”
stuper1
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by stuper1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:11 pm
John McCain had character.
I'm curious to know what evidence you have for this statement? I can find plenty of places on the internet where people claim that McCain was a show-off pilot who never would have crashed in Vietnam if he hadn't been flying inappropriately. And that he then behaved dishonorably and disloyally in prison. That he left his first wife when he found another woman with a lot more money. That he had dishonest dealings related to the savings and loan scandal. That he was only too happy to send America to war whenever possible, thereby enriching the military-industrial complex, but causing many of our young people to come home with limbs missing or worse, not to mention far worse casualty levels among the native inhabitants. And the list goes on.

Now, I don't know whether all that stuff is true. But I also don't know whether the hagiography peddled by the mainstream media is true. I tend to think the latter is just pablum meant to keep the masses happy.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 pm

I think we are long past the idea that the way Trump operates is all part of a strategy. For whatever reason the way he operates worked in the corporate world, but not so much in the political one.

Would I vote for a pimp and three hookers who could put the country back on track? No. Some level of morality and decency has to be part of the job. I would vote for someone who:

1) makes it clear that the US does not need military bases all over the world and does not need to have a military budget the size of the next 10 (or whatever) countries combined and repurposes that money and talent at home.
2) knows how to make, and live within a real balanced budget
3) figures out the whole medical care/prescription drug fiasco
4) small kids can look up to and feel good about him/her as president
5) does not make decisions based off special interest lobbying but rather what's best for the country.

among some other things. But those are the big five.

Everything has become a conservative/liberal arguing point. Nothing seems to be discussed from a what's best for America standpoint much anymore.

Stuper, your comments about McCain, I tend to echo those. I do not want to disparage the dead, and he seemed to be a decent guy, but at least some of your points are correct, esp. being too hawkish on war.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:31 am

Did you ever think you'd see a time when the repeal of the First Amendment was being seriously debated? That a small conglomerate of media and tech companies would be effectively controlling the content of public speech? That peaceful conservative speech would be routinely quelled by the threat of political persecution and by frequently-acted-out threats of violence? That candidates for public office would be subjected to searching intrusions of such a personal and invasive nature that only those in control of the political extortion apparatus would dare run? That a sitting congresswoman could seriously boast of a national database so powerful as to virtually guarantee the Elite's stranglehold over future elections? That dissenting voices on issues that matter can expect their friends to be charged with crimes and their attorneys' offices to be searched? That an unelected, unaccountable, fourth branch of government would eclipse all others, and that it would become so powerful as to be effectively beyond the executive's control?

The game has changed. If you want character in your life, find it in your family, your friends, your church. This is a fight for the constitutional republic, and the other side is no longer playing by any rules. Thankfully, conservatives are beginning to understand that.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:58 am

stuper1 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:49 pm
I can find plenty of places on the internet where people claim
Yeah, you run with that.
Anything I can say is just pablum for the masses.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:00 am

pugchief wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:51 pm
Thanks for the link. The media was generally so in love with Obama that it's easy to forget.

Trump is either completely irrational, or putting on a show on purpose. Maybe both.
I agree.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am

Regarding McCain, I just saw this article this morning. It's pretty good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/568582/
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:36 am

Desert wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:06 am
Regarding McCain, I just saw this article this morning. It's pretty good.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/568582/
Tsk, tsk, Desert. Isn't that a little mainstream? You have to find something in infowars for it to be the truth. /s
Well, I'm getting on a train, and I say that lest anyone think I'm leaving in a huff; I'm not. O0
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 am

A new NAFTA deal with Mexico will be announced this week. That's very exciting.

Renegotiated and more favorable to the US. It's weird to me how easy that was to do, and I wonder why our previous Presidents didn't even try?
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:20 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:03 pm
Would I vote for a pimp and three hookers who could put the country back on track? No. Some level of morality and decency has to be part of the job.
It's important to remember that it's hard out here for a pimp. Whole lotta withches jumpin' ship.
Desert
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Desert » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:28 am

clacy wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:42 am
A new NAFTA deal with Mexico will be announced this week. That's very exciting.

Renegotiated and more favorable to the US. It's weird to me how easy that was to do, and I wonder why our previous Presidents didn't even try?
I do like some things about the proposed new NAFTA deal. It appears to support a $16 min wage for at least some mfg workers in the U.S. Unfortunately, the result of it all won't be known for years. The deal as I understand is essentially more protectionist, so if the free-traders are right, it'll generally be negative for the economy. Trade is obviously very complex, and I don't claim to understand the entire deal yet.

I do think Trump's motivations are good in this effort. Unfortunately, he's not a very complex thinker, so I doubt he's spent much time thinking about potential unintended consequences.