Trump as tragicomedy

Other discussions not related to the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 am

I have gone from wanting him to drain the swamp, to voting for him, to cringing at tweets, to yelling at the TV, and finally just wanting him to go back home and let somebody else do this job. This is a non-stop reality show nightmare.

Image
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7367
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:10 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 am
I have gone from wanting him to drain the swamp, to voting for him, to cringing at tweets, to yelling at the TV, and finally just wanting him to go back home and let somebody else do this job. This is a non-stop reality show nightmare.
<snip>
I am more frustrated with his supporters than with Trump himself. I understand why a segment of the population voted for him out of hopes for better jobs, healthcare, etc, not racism. And a lot of those people are now disillusioned. It's the subset that continues to defend him that I don't get.

Btw, I'm halfway through Lawrence Wright's 'God Save Texas', a great book by an excellent journalist (and lifelong Texan). There was a page or two on Alex Jones and his influence on Trump. I hadn't realized that all the "lock her up" stuff began with Jones. I've got a problem with his supporters, too. O0
The logout button on this forum is dangerously close to the Notifications button.
User avatar
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 976
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:39 pm

I usually don't come to this part of the board...but I think a couple of things are obvious.

1. Healthcare in the US is broke, period, full stop.

2. People would rather argue about their political views as to how healthcare "should" work rather than solve the problem practically.

I spent most of my adult life in US socialized medicine (military medicine) and now I am in the private sector and frankly I don't find the private sector approach all that great and in many ways its worse. One thing I miss is that I used to get an email saying I needed to come in for some basic preventative thing (shots, annual check up, blood work, whatever) as the records had all been digitized. Now I have to do crap like find my paper copy shot records (from my military days), go to the internet to find out how often you need boosters, make an appointment and hand update my old paper record...seriously I find this ridiculous.

My personal take is if someone wants cutting edge medical technology the private sector is better (if and it is a BIG if, your insurance company will approve it). If you want the basics done well, my experience with socialized medicine is that it was way better.

I think the real thing is accountability. There are the VA nightmare locations you read about, but there are some mind blowing great VA locations as well. Whether government or private, accountability is lacking in many areas.

Personally I'd love to see a fly off...let CA go fully socialized and let TX go fully private and let's see what happens.
hardlawjockey
Full Member
Full Member
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by hardlawjockey » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:09 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:10 am
Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 am
I have gone from wanting him to drain the swamp, to voting for him, to cringing at tweets, to yelling at the TV, and finally just wanting him to go back home and let somebody else do this job. This is a non-stop reality show nightmare.
<snip>
I am more frustrated with his supporters than with Trump himself. I understand why a segment of the population voted for him out of hopes for better jobs, healthcare, etc, not racism.
Can you give an example of the racism you are talking about? I hear this all the time but I don't see the evidence for it.
User avatar
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 7367
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:18 am
Location: next to emotional support peacock
Contact:

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm

I said not racism.
The logout button on this forum is dangerously close to the Notifications button.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by ochotona » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:22 pm

1. Healthcare in the US is broke, period, full stop.

AND

2. Pensions in the US are broke, period, full stop.
3. Long Term Care in the US is broke, period, full stop.
4. Post-secondary education financing in the US is broke, period, full stop.
5. Consumer protections from corporate rip-offs and scams is broke, period, full stop.
6. Child-care is broke, period, full stop.

This is truly the United States of Fork You. My daughter wants to marry a European man and not live in the US... I can see why.
User avatar
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:28 pm
Location: Illinois

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:15 pm

dualstow wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:08 pm
I said not racism.
C'mon, he's a 70+ year old guy. I fully expect there is a tape as Omarosa (as much as she is two-faced and hypocritical) said of him saying the n-word.

I don't think it is necessarily racism, but certainly bigotry and meanness.

You're a great person while you are useful, but then are kicked to the curb and shoved under the bus when you aren't useful anymore, with a whole slew of derogatory statements by Trump. I can't imagine what it's like to work for him, or why anyone does unless they are seeing it as a means to an end.

I just saw a clip of Obama at a state dinner with the previous French president on a show. I actually felt longing for those Obama (hell even Bush) days when, maybe he wasn't your cup of tea, but damn at least he was generally graceful, poised, and presidential.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by pugchief » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:22 pm
My daughter wants to marry a European man and not live in the US... I can see why.
Not sure what you mean; Europe is further down the road of decline than the US is by virtually any measure.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by pugchief » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:15 pm
I just saw a clip of Obama at a state dinner with the previous French president on a show. I actually felt longing for those Obama (hell even Bush) days when, maybe he wasn't your cup of tea, but damn at least he was generally graceful, poised, and presidential.
One of Bill Clinton's most famous quotes is, "it's the economy, stupid". There is no doubt that Trump's personality is irritating and embarrassing. But it's hard to argue that he hasn't accomplished more in 2.5 years than his two feckless predecessors did in 8 each.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2079
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by ochotona » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:22 pm
My daughter wants to marry a European man and not live in the US... I can see why.
Not sure what you mean; Europe is further down the road of decline than the US is by virtually any measure.
She spent this summer at an engineering internship in Switzerland. Theoretical measures aside, she saw no suffering. She was not in Greece. She's applying to the same university (Federal Polytechnic @ Laussanne) for grad school. Nothing beats what you see with your eyes, versus what you read on the Interwebs.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2384
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by pugchief » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 pm

ochotona wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 pm
pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:22 pm
My daughter wants to marry a European man and not live in the US... I can see why.
Not sure what you mean; Europe is further down the road of decline than the US is by virtually any measure.
She spent this summer at an engineering internship in Switzerland. Theoretical measures aside, she saw no suffering. She was not in Greece. She's applying to the same university (Federal Polytechnic @ Laussanne) for grad school. Nothing beats what you see with your eyes, versus what you read on the Interwebs.
Well, Switzerland is hardly representative of the EU...
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 1989
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Trump as tragicomedy

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:46 pm

pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:25 pm
ochotona wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 pm
pugchief wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:54 pm

Not sure what you mean; Europe is further down the road of decline than the US is by virtually any measure.
She spent this summer at an engineering internship in Switzerland. Theoretical measures aside, she saw no suffering. She was not in Greece. She's applying to the same university (Federal Polytechnic @ Laussanne) for grad school. Nothing beats what you see with your eyes, versus what you read on the Interwebs.
Well, Switzerland is hardly representative of the EU...
In fact it's not in the EU at all, is it?
Post Reply